What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Jools said:
Alton Towers' February event in 2010 looks set to be the biggest yet, with more of the parks rides and attractions open than ever before. With Nemesis now added to the line-up, all of the parks coasters will be open with exception to Thirteen (which opens on March 20th) and Rita - Queen of Speed (which is being altered for 2010).

Did that come from the Alton website? I've just been on it, on the Half Term page, and it says:

This February Half-Term, the famous Alton Towers Theme Park is opening with a fantastic selection of rides and attractions, 10am - 4pm every day between 13-21 February 2010. Whether you are coming with young children or thrill seekers, the selection of rides will suit all tastes.

Am i missing something, or have they changed it now that we've cottoned on?

Jools

Giga Poster
^ It's from TowersTimes, who never put anything up if they're unsure or there is not a reliable source.

I am thinking Rita will most definatly benefit from this, even if the retheme isn't anything major, even the slightest tweeks and change in theming will improve the awful theming it has now.

I would like to see a speed boost maybe and some tunnels and theming close to the track, and definatly new trains or a new paint job, prehaps white or something to make the cars look almost phantom like. The track colour is alright, not the best it could be, but I would like to see it a green colour personally.

marc

CF Legend
This advertsing could back fire big time for Alton.

Some people at work asked if it will really have an age limit as they were going to go this year but wont bother until their kids are old enough. I wonder how many other families will think the same thing.

If the age limit is not true Alton need to get out another press release soon or families will book to go somewhere else.

Remember its the GP reading these things, most of us know its just a stunt but the GP do not.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Exactly...

Although I still have a feeling it'll be a damn long queue when it opens... As there is still a significant proportion of people who will go anyway regardless...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I'm personally expecting one of two things:

1) I believe the most likely scenario is Alton Towers releasing something showing that they've changed their mind, or have been able to alter the ride somehow, or something showing that actually the ride can accomodate whoever it may accomodate.

2) Alton Towers just leave this as it is. Then, when people come to the resort, people will obviosuly ride it, then word of mouth will get around that actually the ride can accomodate more peeps. This could also be a very likely scenario as Alton will then save face. Viral marketing. There's no more effective way.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Not so keen on the name. It doesn't sound right saying "I'm going to ride Thirteen", it's just a number. For such a major ride they should've used a bit more imagination.

Other than that, I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far. I'm very glad Rita is being changed to fit with the theme. If we're lucky, perhaps some new special effects or a couple of tunnels will be added? Maybe that's a bit too optimistic!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Well done at Taylor and Erol for pointing out to me the shock and horror that new rides are popular... :roll:

I can now sleep easy knowing this...

[/sarcasm, just in case neither realised]

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I highly doubt Rita will have a name change as well.

Re-theme possibly (maybe even likely) but name change, no. Rita is already a well established name, and the flexibility of such name means that I think it will remain being clalled Rita. Hopefully we will see a repaint and re-theme of basic things (like those speakers, possibly ride booth and garage to some extent, but I think the latter might be asking for to much).

I reckon it'll only be paint jobs and a little bit more. Max.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Realistically; I can't see "that" much being changed on Rita, considering it's a new coaster and the theme is fairly unique to the park. As much as I hate the thing, I just can't see it being re-themed to that extent; I do actually enjoy the soundtrack whilst queuing for Rita however, if they take that out I wouldn't have a reason for riding it. The most they will probably do is:

- Repaint the supports, with creepy decals similar to what's found on "Th13teen" artwork.

- Give the queue relevant theming to Th13rteen; maybe around sections closer to the woods and the ride?

- Change the soundtrack slightly, by putting intersections between songs which play creepy sounds and music, advertising Th13rteen.

- Change "Ug Land" to "Thunder Rock Valley"?

Just a few possibilities :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Remember, the £15m is most likely to be the total project cost, that would most probably include any land & ride re-themes - so you never know, we may see some major changes to Rita, god knows what, but you never know!

marc

CF Legend
Rita is also a name most people seem to hate so why not change it now they have the chance to? Thats what I think anyway. Maybe call it something original like 14tteen :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^In an ideal world, Rita would never have to be fixed because it was built in the same way all the other rides were, with years of planning and ideas... :roll:

This ideal world also involves Corkie and Black Hole still being at the park though, and all the flats being awesome... So yeah... Not gonna happen :lol:

I'm not expecting major changes this year, maybe in the next 3 years or so though... Regardless of how appauling Rita is, there are a few other things that need to be addressed (see X-Sector)...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Well done at Taylor and Erol for pointing out to me the shock and horror that new rides are popular... :roll:

I can now sleep easy knowing this...

[/sarcasm, just in case neither realised]

I wrote to be silly, not to backsass you.
So don't belittle me, child.

(Oh and so it aint spam)

Ooooh this ride looks sick bruv. I bet it drops innit.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Just had a thought, probally been said before by whatever...

Instead of maybe just a drop, wouldn't it be good if the inside bit was like Tower of Terror at the disney parks? I hear they are good. They look good anyway. Enter scenes at different levels with drop and raising fectures. Would be even better mixed with the coaster...

marc

CF Legend
^Like the version in Orlando where you move forward rather than the crap in Paris anc California where you just go up and down.

Martyn B

CF Legend
marc said:
Rita is also a name most people seem to hate so why not change it now they have the chance to?

Most people on here hate it, but we are only a tiny majority of the people that visit Alton, so our opinion pretty much counts for nothing - they ain't going to change something because a few people dont like it.

^In an ideal world, Rita would never have to be fixed because it was built in the same way all the other rides were, with years of planning and ideas...

It appears that the 'old fashioned' Alton is returning, well to me it does anyway. The days of Flume, Spinball & Rita are hopefully behind us now. Mutiny Bay is a good example, so you never know they may try ro 'fix' Rita so she blends in better.

And hopefully X-Sector will be next on their list for improvments.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can now officially reveal the details of this coaster, brought to me in a feverish dream last night thanks to a chest infection!

Inside the building, the cars come to a stop and the deputy head of my old primary school will read a scary story, while holding a torch under her face. The train will be suspended, with pairs of seats attached to the tracks on chains, like on a chair swing sort of thing.

Should be really good!

AdamJ

Roller Poster
I'm still not fully impressed with Thirteen, it just seems such a dull ride layout, for such a genius and well planned storyline. I would've thought it'd be something on the scale of Nemesis, but its like saying we're going to build Beastie, and theme it like Dr Seuss!

Status
Not open for further replies.