What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

CF Legend
Blaze said:
but could possibly be trains.

Those must be some tall trains ;) But that is huge! I just watched a video of it come in by the Earls Tower and its a tall piece of equipment.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Blaze said:
Probably for the hydrolics and/or mechanisms for the secret section, but could possibly be trains.

I don't think it's trains, in the video it looked really thin, like track width size.

^Oops that post hadn't come up before I posted never mind.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Grimsby, Sc_unthorpe, Sheffield and Derby route I think are clues to where its come from. Grimsby has a dock on what looks like a shipping lane to mainland europe. So going by that, its likely its come from Intamin. So its ether something like trains or a massive part.

Feels like im stating the obvious, but I thought it was worth saying for narrowing down what it is.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Ah, never saw the picture, thanks.

From TT:
An e-mail was sent to those on the SW6 mailing list from PR agency "Frank PR". Although not giving details away regarding the ride's world's first element, it does announce the arrival of the ride's unique selling point/element on site yesterday. The release also contained pictures of the load arriving, covered in a large branded tarpaulin on a flatbed truck. A video has also been released on Facebook featuring footage of the truck arriving on site.

It then goes on to talk about the ongoing speculation on blogs and social networking sites such as Twitter regarding the theme for the ride along with rumours regarding the elements of the ride. According to the e-mail, the most popular theme was "that a crypt in a mysterious forest has been disturbed, awakening a ghost." whilst other rumours have included:

A track that gives the illusion it is invisible
SW6 will beat the record for the greatest vertical drop in the world
A track that moves vertically as you ride
There is no mention whether any of the above rumours have any truth in them. Also discussed, is the steps the park have taken in ensuring the ride remains "top secret". This apparently includes increased security staff, a banning of any cameras and mobiles phones, requiring staff to sign non-disclosure agreements and also approaching Google Earth to black out aerial views of the building site.

A quote from Sales and Marketing Director Morwenna Angrove also says:

“In the build-up to previous rides, significant details were leaked and this time we are taking no chances. Our new attraction is totally unique and scarier than ever – it’s unlike anything the world has seen before. Fans do not have to wait too long to enjoy the ride, as they will be given the chance to ride SW6 early in 2010. I would suggest those who dare prepare themselves; they will be in for ride they will never forget…” "

I signed up to the email so I'll have a look at it, and these rumours, I doubt they have really looked at peoples, they probably made them themselves but I don't see how it has the largest vertical drop, but I can see the other two working, one is what we are almost certain the world first will be, the other is just speculation that started on TT and I posted here along with some other patents.

They really are building this up past even Oblivion standards now. I've been expecting something very good since the begining but with this new PR, the bar has been raised, and it better deliver. I'm confident it will, but they have quite a job to do.

Here's to March 20th!

Darren

Roller Poster
Here is the email:

Hi there,

Hope you’re well.

As I’m sure you are aware, a new ride is set to open at Alton Towers in 2010. The USP of the ride arrived in the UK yesterday and was transported to the resort. I have attached some images of the USP being transported. Below is the latest information about the ride.

We’ll be sure to keep you posted with more information as and when we get it.

Best wishes,

Sophie.

Alton Towers will never ‘Surrender’ details of latest attraction

Alton Towers Resort, the UK's most popular theme park Resort, and home to some the world’s most jaw-dropping rides such as Nemesis and Oblivion is causing a stir amongst thrill-seeking enthusiasts with the construction of its latest attraction. Codenamed Secret Weapon 6 (SW6), the rollercoaster is scheduled for launch in March 2010.

The Resort is determined to keep suspense high by refusing to disclose any details, but has promised fans the ride will be a world first! The estimated £15 million attraction has caused much speculation that even the rides name is uncertain – die-hard fans have speculated “Surrender” as the most likely name for the rollercoaster. SW6 has been in design for 2 years and taken 9 months to build by a team of 35 working round the clock, to ensure it’s ready for launch in March.

Adverts promoting SW6 have appeared on http://www.altontowers.com and around the Resort, enticing adrenaline-junkies to “ride the Demon of the Dark Forest”. This has spurred bloggers and tweeters to speculate a possible theme for the ride. The most popular being that a crypt in a mysterious forest has been disturbed, awakening a ghost. Other online rumours include:

* A track that gives the illusion it is invisible
* SW6 will beat the record for the greatest vertical drop in the world
* A track that moves vertically as you ride

The Resort has increased security staff at the building site, banning cameras and mobile phones, issuing non-disclosure agreements to staff and has even approached Google Earth to black out the building site to ensure its attraction remains top secret.

Morwenna Angove, Sales and Marketing Director at the Alton Towers Resort said: “In the build-up to previous rides, significant details were leaked and this time we are taking no chances. Our new attraction is totally unique and scarier than ever – it’s unlike anything the world has seen before. Fans do not have to wait too long to enjoy the ride, as they will be given the chance to ride SW6 early in 2010. I would suggest those who dare prepare themselves; they will be in for ride they will never forget…”

-Ends-

15 Million Pounds then? That's a lot of money...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Beat me to it.

Thats a fair bit more than we thought it would be.

So this has taken two years to design? Thats a long time so hopefully this means a lot of thought has gone into this. I know the layout is not perfect but if you look at the trees, you can actually see the path the ride takes. They could not remove trees so the built the layout through the gaps in them, creating a more organic and natural layout.

Banning Google Earth? Thats quite an extreme. Talk about SECRET Weapon.

Pretty sure Surrender will be the name.
Either that or miles and miles away from it.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Just looked, I didn't get it either. Not even the one you got yet.

I saw the video. I hate it. It teases you with the contents. Great for PR though.

Fantastic images.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ooooh, they might have been looking at these forums :p

:hiding:

Scariest ever? I very much doubt that, especially for a coaster that looks to be more family orientated.

Fans do not have to wait too long to enjoy the ride

Judging by the huge cattlepen, I think that is a lie...

jokerman

Giga Poster
I never realised quite how tight that turn at the bottom was. Depending on how fast the lift is, that could be fairly intense.

marc

CF Legend
One of the drops near the helix looks really steep.

That is one hell of a long bit of straight track leading back to the station though.

I am please they are making an effort with the publicity, its how Alton used to be.

Darren

Roller Poster
You can see how many supports there are on the first helix after the drop; it's going to be quite intense. I never expected Alton Towers to release this much information today, I really don't. It has really got me excited to ride this in March! :--D

Ollie

CF Legend
The only email I got from them was saying that it's arrived and there's a video on Facebook.

Also looking at the shape of it it looks really tall like the height of the track is of the ground and the width of it is slightly wider than the track. So this is pointing more towards the track dropping still as it seems like the train will go onto a section of track that will drop/bounce/wobble between the two sides of the frame.
I may be wrong but that's what it's all pointing too and it's sort of backing up what I said back when the plans of the ride were released.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I'm on the mailing list and didn't get the e-mail either.

The turn then hill after are really low and tight compared to the top of the lift.

EDIT: Just checked and I got same e-mail that Ollie describes.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
What I would like to know is why the tyres stop so early on the lift. For me this points to a fast lift with atleast 3 cars of 2x2 per train. The fact the throughput is the same as Corkscrew and the ride will have 2 or 3 trains, as revealed at the planning meeting, backs this up.

Still waiting for an e-mail.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
Can I just ask something? Has there ever been a reversing floorless coaster? Sorry if i'm being a noob but it's an idea that fits in with the world's first idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.