What's new

Things you hate when people say to you.

Smithy

Strata Poster
elephant58 said:
I don't know if any of you have heard this before, but when people say something they obviously dislike and put a like at the front of it.

For example - 'I like how you expect everyone to be nice to you, but your not nice to other people.' They obviously are having a go and I currently here this everywhere in my school.

Something else I despise is when a new and popular song is released and after a couple of weeks some people will start saying that the 2-week old, very popular song is 'really old and it's been around for absolutely ages'. What's that all about?

Because more often than not the song is available to listen to and download on the internet months before release.

There's been a few deadmau5 songs released recently that I've seen from his uStream livestreams nearly 6 months prior.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
"YOLO!" I swear I want to strangle someone when they say that. It bugs me a lot more than it does you, too. In the animation for Full Throttle at SFMM I almost wanted to turn the chainsaw on myself when they said that. When in the hell did people start saying that?

When this little ditty started getting popular.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoVg5dG6o_Q[/youtube]

It's from like, last year, though.. so old.

fefa

Mega Poster
People sometimes tell me that I'm skinny even though I'm quite muscly built as I go to the gym 5 times a week.
But it only makes me work harder at the gym so I'm not too annoyed about it :)

BBH

Giga Poster
When people repeat EXACTLY what I say whenever they're in agreement with something I say.

"Ugh, his fiscal policies are absolutely asinine."
"Yeah, I mean the fiscal policies are just asinine."

SDAIOFJASDOIFJADSI;OGJASDIUFJ

Edward M

Strata Poster
I hate lots of sayings.

I hate the abbreviations like LOL, YOLO, ROFL, and SWAG.

I hate two of these the most though. When people ask about if you would murder someone or a certain what if question, and you say no or disagree then they say "what if Hitler was here." That is a completely different story! It also doesn't make sense. Would I know it's Hitler? I don't want to just kill some guy who looks like Hitler or the new Indiana Jones. If I knew it was Hitler, I would have to think. I mean would it alter time and space? Why was he here? Is he a different Adolf Hitler who was put here to trick me to kill someone so the Devil who is Hitler could a steal my soul! I don't know.

The worst of all though is "what would Jesus do?" Don't get me wrong. I am a christian, hardcore actually, but I hate this saying! I hate it because I think it is stupid. I know that we are supposed to base our actions off of Jesus's but humans aren't perfect! We aren't! We aren't Jesus! I just think you should say "I don't know if you should do that" or "I wouldn't do that". It just gets on my nerves.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
"Atheists believe...."

"It's just the way I am, deal with it."

"Doves are white."

"LOL AM I TALL ENOUGH HUR"

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

BBH

Giga Poster
Edward M said:
The worst of all though is "what would Jesus do?" Don't get me wrong. I am a christian, hardcore actually, but I hate this saying! I hate it because I think it is stupid. I know that we are supposed to base our actions off of Jesus's but humans aren't perfect! We aren't! We aren't Jesus! I just think you should say "I don't know if you should do that" or "I wouldn't do that". It just gets on my nerves.
Jeff Dunham has a good piece on this, his Walter character (an old, **** y curmudgeon). His wife is being annoying during sex or whatever, so he stops and thinks about what his mother said, "What would Jesus do?" To quote him, "So I tried to turn her into a fish. 'Begone, Satan! Hello, Shamu!' Well, at least Shamu only has one blowhole."

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Our accountant at work keeps on using the word "Triology" to describe a triplet of books/films all connecting a single story arc.

It's driving me nuts...

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
When you enter a shop and an assistant says something along the lines of: "hey mate, need any help at all?"

First of all, I'm not your "mate" - secondly, I'll ask if I need some assistance :wink:

nadroJ

CF Legend
I really hate it when people go out of their way to get offended when I'm just being friendly and helpful when offering assistance when at work ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
To be fair I dislike walking through a shop/supermarket and having people I don't know saying hello. I know they're being friendly but I just end up thinking "Do I know you from somewhere or something? Am I meant to recognise you?".

I also avoid phone shops and the like for precisely that reason, but then I'll ask when I need help.

With that said, the example given on the last page I see little issue with.

He used mate as a friendly term. He didn't say bro, brah, dude, fella, geezer, propa nawty chappy. I use mate and buddy all the time when I'm helping a customer out, lad I worked with used to say darling and sweetheart but I've never been comfortable with forcing that one out.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FaceYourNemesis said:
When you enter a shop and an assistant says something along the lines of: "hey mate, need any help at all?"

First of all, I'm not your "mate" - secondly, I'll ask if I need some assistance :wink:
Do you get annoyed when somebody from the north-east calls you "duck", even though you're not actually a duck?

It's just a friendly reflex expression. Down south it's very common to be called "mate" by a male or "luv" by a female. It doesn't even register in my brain when people say it. Just like Brummies say "bab", northerns say "pet"/"duck", Scots say "pal" and the Welsh say "butt". It's just a word.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't mind it in some places, but I know where James is coming from.

If an assistant is approaching you, then they should be "professional". They're targeting you to make a sale, so they should be treating you with all the respect you don't deserve ;)

I'm the same at work. If somebody cold calls trying to sell me something and is all "Hiya mate, I'm from [current flash in the pan money making sector] Ltd and we can save you 40% on what you currently pay. Do you want to save money mate?"

I hate it. I don't want to buy something from somebody who is talking to me uninvited and being overly friendly.

It's fine if I'm at a counter buying something, or if I go to a shop assistant and ask for help as I'm doing the approaching. It's that thing where you just want to be left alone, and then when you're badgered by somebody wanting to be your "mate", it's just irritating. I don't want you in my life, and you're definitely not my mate.

It is only certain situations though; if it's a market trader or something it's fine.

I dunno, I guess it's the way I was taught. When I served in a shop, I'd refer to blokes as "Sir" and "Gentleman" and women as "madam" and "lady" - which is **** hard when you consider the troglodytes of Widnes ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I refuse to call people sir and madam, it denotes that they're beneath me, which they are most definitely not.

Makes me laugh that people get so offended by use of a friendly term like the word mate, ESPECIALLY somewhere like TGI Fridays which is a place I think you would expect that sort of approach?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Surely calling somebody sir or madame is a sign of respect? If you're serving somebody, then they should get more respect simply because without their custom, you or your business will potentially lose income. So while you're in that position of serving a customer, you should at least pretend that they're better than you for that short time?

Again, it's only really if you're in a position where you're approaching a "browser" and essentially "begging" for them to buy from you.

If in Tesco, I ask a member of staff where the milk is and they say "it's in aisle 6 mate" - that's absolutely fine. In fact, it's good because it means I didn't approach them as a complete douche and they're positive about our brief relationship.

If I'm in Tesco and a member of staff comes up to me and goes "A'right mate, do you want to buy a phone contract?" - that's what's I hate. Over familiarity in that situation just stinks of contempt. You're not their "mate", you're another mug they want to get some commission from and they think that by being "cheeky" they'll win you round.

Agreed that in a place like TGI, the staff should be friendlier and help make customers feel comfortable. I hate formality in restaurants and believe that the whole eating thing should be a relaxed thing, not a chore.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
'Hows life?' i don't know why this ticks me off so much, it just does. My friend asks me this a lot, and i just end up say 'the same as the last time you asked me!'