What's new

Things you hate when people say to you.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
robbeal said:
Once I'd actually worked out the question being asked, which was today's biggest challenge...

No kidding :roll:

With the joke thing, it's simple really.. just know your audience. There are really very few things that are too reverent to be joked about, so I'm not saying you can't make jokes which could be perceived as offensive by certain people, but come on, use some tact about where and how you deliver them. If you make a sexist joke whilst in the company of women, you deserve every bit of the heat you'll take for it.

One thing that irks me is when people online make really basic English mistakes. I'm not saying everything that everybody types has to be a completely error-free, perfectly-constructed sentence (hell, I don't even do that myself), but errors like these are so easy to avoid and yet so common:
- Not knowing the difference between your/you're or their/there/they're
- Saying "looser" when you mean "loser"
- "Rediculous"

Whenever I read a post or comment that contains a mistake like this, it kind of undermines the message for me. If you can't put enough thought or effort into using the correct words, much less spelling them correctly, then quite frankly, how do I know you've put any thought into the message you are trying to convey?

I know there are more mistakes that bother me like this, but these were just the ones that popped into my head at the moment.

Snoo

The Legend
Agreed with above.. you can't just walk up to someone who is black and make a racist joke and claim it was 'just a joke.' That is just being a huge douchebag tbh.

Like it's been said before.. you can't assume one person will react the same as another simply because you know someone or have a friend who accepts it.

spicy

Giga Poster
Out of curiosity, the people that find the racist/sexist etc jokes offensive, do you find them offensive when you hear one in a movie or a TV show? Or is it the fact that someone is personally telling you the joke directly that makes it more so?

Things that people say to me that really annoy me are conspiracy theories and the illuminati and all that good stuff. Please just shut up, I refuse to entertain such utter dire conversation.

bmac

Giga Poster
Anything about sexual orientation and religion, especially when they try to preach their views on it. I just totally tune out and get away from the person/people involved because it's going to either turn into a circlejerk or a full blown fight in a heartbeat.

Ben

CF Legend
As if everyone is so uptight about jokes. That's all they are, jokes. If we can't take jokes, what's the point in being English?

A joke doesn't mean you believe what you're saying, that's kind of the point.

So, in terms of this topic I hate when people get all preachy about a joke.

nadroJ

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
"What are you gonna do with a degree in THAT?"

Piss off

I just hate the general, oh so what are you going to do after you've got your degree? What then? What about THEN?!

And it's like, I don't **** know exactly what I'm doing with my life. I know what I want to do in general, but specifically how can I say? So irritating it's literally the worst <//3

Rachel

Coaster MILF
People who are downright rude and try and defend it by saying they are just being "honest".

Eurgh. Thats just no excuse in my opinion.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ben said:
As if everyone is so uptight about jokes. That's all they are, jokes. If we can't take jokes, what's the point in being English?

See, for me, its about crossing a line. Like, you can tell me all the gay jokes you like or even aim a joke at me and I wouldn't be phased by it, but if it is someone I barely know more than a name on a screen then I would be more likely to be offended. I hate it when people start using jokes because they think you are some great friends when you really aren't.

I do agree though, that part of being British is that we are masters of taking the piss out of ourselves and each other. It is a huge part of the British sense of humour and to a degree, how we cope with things. But I still think a line exists.

I can also see where Marc is coming from. Having had those jokes aimed at you in a nasty spiteful form of bullying in your childhood means that you will have memories that alter the perception of said jokes.

Jake

Strata Poster
Jokes don't bother me at all, even if they're quite offensive, because I'm the worst for laughing at offensive things myself...

I'm more irritated by stupid gay related questions people ask me, especially randomers. 'When did you realise' is the ultimate worst.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Rachel said:
People who are downright rude and try and defend it by saying they are just being "honest".

Eurgh. Thats just no excuse in my opinion.
Oh my god THIS. It's just the worst.

Whilst guilty myself, I hate listening to genius members of the public comment on the better method of doing something they've come up with. Like, my mother says "why don't they just put more carriages on the trains". Well, I dunno, maybe because they cost millions of pounds. Maybe because then they'd not fit on the platforms. Maybe there's h&s laws about how long certain models can be. I dunno, but ffs there just be a reason. I always try to stop and think, look, there must be a reason for this.

Speaking of trains, the ANGER expelled by people when they are late. 9/10 its a customers fault, too. I think extreme or continuous problems should be compensated by the companies, but I don't blame them. As if they WANT to **** it up and have thousands of raging business men. The same occurs at theme parks. People moan about the queue length, then faff.

People have no awareness outside their own little bubble.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Mark

Strata Poster
Jake said:
Jokes don't bother me at all, even if they're quite offensive, because I'm the worst for laughing at offensive things myself...

I'm more irritated by stupid gay related questions people ask me, especially randomers. 'When did you realise' is the ultimate worst.

Totally, the other one you get when in a relationship: how do you decide who gives/recieve?

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ Oh god....this >_<

It grates on my nerves if that is the first question (when did you realise) when they find out (I am polite though and respond as such). It seriously irks me though when they ask that more intimate (Whose the pitcher) question as if I want to willingly give that detail away. If im drunk I will give some random answer that makes no sense (Whoever ate [insert food] more as a child), or will give a severely raunchy answer in hopes they drop the subject.

While on the subject, someone who introduces me to one of their friends as "Their GAY friend". Why the HELL do they think it is ok to put me on the spot like that?! Im socially awkward enough as is, dropping that bombshell at the beginning of a conversation (one that I dont normally disclose until I know the person better) SERIOUSLY makes me want to kill my friend. Not only does is make everything awkward, but know Im afraid for what might happen to me if they have a negative view towards gays.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Legos. **** Legos.

It's Lego and the plural is Lego bricks or Lego blocks or Lego Studs. There is no such thing as Legos. Lego is a brand name and they have said officially that using Legos offends their Danish sensibilities and they have to go and salt a pig to make themselves feel better every time somebody says it.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ben said:

This.

Also, situational generalisations. This topic is quite offensive tbh. Everyone is unique.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Mark said:
Jake said:

Totally, the other one you get when in a relationship: how do you decide who gives/recieve?
And then "who's the man and who's the woman?"

I don't know. Which chopstick is the fork?

Mark

Strata Poster
jayjay said:
Mark said:
Jake said:

And then "who's the man and who's the woman?"

I don't know. Which chopstick is the fork?

It is bizarre, for some reason because we are 'open about our sexuality' that people feel it is also appropriate to ask really personal questions... I mean I wouldn't go up to a straight couple and ask whether she wears a strap on with her husband or whatever. Its just a complete WHY moment!

Mike

Giga Poster
furie said:
Legos. Legos.

It's Lego and the plural is Lego bricks or Lego blocks or Lego Studs. There is no such thing as Legos. Lego is a brand name and they have said officially that using Legos offends their Danish sensibilities and they have to go and salt a pig to make themselves feel better every time somebody says it.

I'm going to follow this up and say "Tescos"

No. It's Tesco. You're going to Tesco.