What's new

THE WORLD CUP!!!

Lol yeah because Cumbria is a total tourist hotspot right now.
Its a football free zone because all the televisions are broke and Derrick Bird killed the only television repair man in Cumbria.

Hahaha, I'm going camping in the New Forest on Saturday evening. Couple of bottles of wine, few spliffs and then staring up at the clear, stary sky sounds perfect to me...and they'll be no phone signal either so total avoidance!

So that's the first game done...

Good game in the end, South Africa showed that they can be pretty decent, Tshabalala's goal was brilliant stuff, I want him signed up for Palace just for his name though...

Plus, I predicted 1-1, so I should be leading the prediction league :lol:

^ Good call, I was thinking of doing a Pundit League

Pundit League- World Cup 2010

Instead of doing a sweepstake for the World Cup this could be more enjoyable and fun. Basically you post your score prediction the day before the game (or at least before kick-off), and if you get a perfect prediction you get 1 point.

[/b]

Yeah the first game was pretty decent.
The SA goal was class.

My prediction for Uruguay/France is 2-0 to Uruguay.

Yeah.

It wasn't a barn-burner opening game like we had four years ago, but I enjoyed it none the less.
Mexico should have put at least one in during the first half & S. Africa could have scored another in the second. Either team could have won, so I guess the draw was fair enough.
France, on the other hand, played like crap. I knew they weren't a contender, but they'll be lucky to get out of the group at the rate they're going. I thought Diego Forlan would have been good for a goal in the game. Oh well, so much for my predictions.

Saturday's games:
S. Korea-Greece 1-1
Argentina-Nigeria 3-2
England-USA 1-1

The first half of RSA - Mexico game was pretty dull, but second half was decent, and what a goal to kick off the tournament with!

France - Uruguay, YAWN! The french had better not fluke it to the final again this year! How boring are they?! And shame there had to be a red card so soon, but he did deserve it.

Bring on tonights game! I get the feeling there could have been a bit too much hype about USA getting some points off of us, and we'll end up thumping them.

Apparently their weekness is their defence, so with Lennon, Cole, Gerrard and Rooney bombing forward, that combination should create some goals!

COME ON ENG-ER-LAND!

In other news; I've finished my preparation for this years World Cup on Thursday night in the same manner as England finished their preparation for the 1966 World Cup. I was actually staying (for a work thing) at the same place that the '66 World Cup squad stayed at for the 2 weeks before the '66 tournament. The bar had a couple of good '66 squad pre-tournament pictures taken out front of the place I was at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilleshall_Hall

I consider this an omen for our impending succes this year! ;-)

Yesterday I actually bet on Mexico-S.Africa to be 1-1 and France-Uruguay to be 0-0 which was nice for me even though I only bet £1

Today's predictions:
Greece 2 - 0 S.Korea
Argentina 1 - 0 Nigeria
England 1 - 0 USA

^LOL! Why do so many Brits underestimate us?
Mr. Green gifted us one, but we came closest to taking the three points. Damn woodwork!
I think we can actually win the group, as the pressure in now really on England.

We played absolutely atrociously. The one saving grace was the Johnson-Lennon combination working well on the wing. I am also incredibly annoyed at the bloody ITV commentators, who all the way through the first half were saying England were building well on the goal, when clearly they weren't, and then at the end of the match told us how well Heskey and Gerrard had played, despite a fairly poor performance from both of them.

Heskey - I don't care what you say abou people "playing off of him", he is a striker, and the one clear opportunity he had to score he cocked up completely. he was also caught offside about 5 or 6 times.

Rooney - Didn't appear until the end of the first half, and when he did, he was lacklustre. I think he's worn out by the season of football he's just played.

Shaun Wright-Phillips - Couldn't beat a single defender all match. Rubbish.

Milner - Also rubbish, and got booked.

Lampard - Gave the ball away on numerous occasions, and his set pieces left something to be desired.

Gerrard - Similiar problems to Lampard really.

Lennon - had a good match, although there were times when I felt he should have challenged for the ball and he didn't. To be expected after all the work he put in.

Cole - Not much to say really. Nothing atrocious, but he didn't seem to be working well with Wright-Phillips to cause many problems down the left.

Terry - He seemed to do fine, but, as with Rooney, looked like he's suffered from a long season back home.

Carragher - is rubbish. I can't work out if he's too slow, or if he can't be bothered.

Johnson - Shame he had to go off for treatment during what was possibly England's best period of play. He had a good match, much like always.

Other players - Crouch was good when he came on, he should be starting with Rooney more often. King I don't like anyway.

I don't think the team really went for it. they didn't seem t want to play, and there were nerves as well to contend with.

I don't think the USA played all that well either. They couldn't beat an awful England team, so they definitely weren't at their best.

England didn't play that badly at all. I wonder if jokerman watched the same game as everybody else.

They created a few chances which should have been put away, and was it not for Green's howler, it would have been a convincing victory. Besides that one time Green turned a shot onto the post, the USA never really looked like scoring.

^I agree with this. It was a decent game on both sides even if it wasn't for Green's mess up. Although we didn't look like we could score, we were still somewhat decent.

What I liked about the U.S. performance against England...
-- DeMerit and Onyewu came up big, shutting down Rooney. They prevented him from getting a decent chance & frustrating him so much that Rooney spent the last part of the game in midfield.
-- The goal Dempsey scored was surely the luckiest of his career, but that shouldn't overshadow the fact he make a nifty move to elude Gerrard, taking several touches, spinning around the England captain and hitting a dipping shot that bounced before it got to Green.
-- Having survived a nasty collision with Heskey in the first half, Howard shone in the second half with several excellent saves.
-- The reaction from the USA was excellent after falling behind. A bit nervous at the start, the Americans grew in confidence as they game went on. While England had its chances late in the game, the Yanks never looked to be desperate straits.
What I didn't like...
-- The USA did exactly what their coach cautioned against and let England score an early goal - a goal so easy that it seemed to lull the English into believing it would win in a cakewalk. That's exactly how Gerrard scored after the U.S. markers lost their players in the middle of midfield off Johnson's throw-in.
-- Against a slow and nervous England defense, the USA could have done better with its possession in the first half. The Americans didn't have a threatening shot on goal.

My prediction for the USA-England game was spot on, but I thought the Greek defense would hold the Koreans to only one goal & Gekas would slip one in there. I also knew that Argentina would win by a one goal margin, I just thought it would be a high scoring game. But then I was also hoping Drogba would have been able to play.

My predictions for today's games:
Algeria 2, Slovenia 1
Serbia 1, Ghana 0
Germany 3, Australia 0