What's new

THE WORLD CUP!!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^^You'll be shocked to know that I watched it, but I agree.

In my honest opinion, it was not the skill of the striker that evened up the scores, it was a mistake (albeit and awful one) on Green's part. I actually felt sorry for him last night. From the rest of the match I thought everyone played OK. Some nice little plays, but nothing special.

I can follow England in the world cup, but I just confirmed to myself that football doesn't interest me at all.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Might as well add my opinion of the other two games.
What I liked ...
-- Messi did everything but score in a very good performance, but I wish Milito would have gotten a chance to play.
-- Enyeama was sensational in goal for Nigeria. The best of his seven saves came when he stretched to deny Messi on his shot to the far post.
-- Park Ji-Sung scored, but youngsters Lee Chung-Yong and Park Chu-Young stood out for me.
What I didn't like ...
-- Argentina failed to convert its many chances, but of greater concern was its defensive lapses. Taiwo and Uche had chances equalize for the Super Eagles, but the result should not have been this close.
-- Greece was terrible & the worst team so far. Its lauded defense was nonexistent & it's now lost all four games it's played at the World Cup without scoring a goal.
-- All those empty seats at the S. Korea-Greece game were not pretty. Huge sections of the stadium were empty. I think there's more of that to come, starting with today's Algeria-Slovenia game.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ouch, that was painful!

England were awful, but USA were worse! The only way USA played well was by keeping the pressure on us when we had the ball. It frustrated us, but apart from that, they were no threat really, and their goal kind of sums up their performance, 'plucky'.

They're not that good, but the thing is, they know that. They have a good team spirit, which can take you a long way.

I feel for Green, and just hope he doesn't get dropped, that would kill him. He is an awseome keeper, and showed that in the second half!

I get the feeling Capello has now treated that as an experimental game, and hopefully he'll see that it didn't work that well, and try something different next time. Like starting with a real left winger, Joe Cole!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Well, I managed to catch a little bit of the England game at work, and i was a great atmosphere in the bar so I could tell what was happening. Luckily, I managed to catch both goals while collecting glasses, and what an opening for us. Green was, well, a shock to me in the line-up as it was, but that howler while haunt him for a good time yet.

What pissed me off most about the match wasn't the fact it was scrappy and England were poor, but the broadcasting. All I seemed to see was slow-mo replays every 3 seconds :evil: It gave Ciall replayRAGE!

Also, it looks as if I may not be watching the next England game on Friday as I may be needed again :( So I'll then miss all 3 of England's group stage matches :(

jokerman

Giga Poster
Ok, so, I missed out on predicting the first two games today, but tonight I reckon Germany to win 2-0.

So, I think the England starting team needs to change quite a bit. This is the team I would have liked to have seen from the start of the match last night, but obviously Barry was a doubt.

-------------------- Hart

Johnson-----Upson----Terry-----A. Cole

Lennon --- Barry Gerrard Lampard --- J.Cole

-------------------Rooney

Then, if something is't working with the Combo of the three in the middle, take off one, and stick crouch in upfront.

Although Hart is a new boy, he is in the best form out of the three keepers we have.

Lain

Giga Poster
Yeah, they do need a holding midfielder in there. Gerrard and Lampard are both attacking minded players, and playing them both in the middle makes them a a bit vulnerable.

I'd prefer to see three in the midfield as well, with Barry playing slightly deeper than Lampard, and Gerrard playing just off Rooney, and then Lennon and Cole on the wings.

It ain't gonna happen though. I think Capello will just put Gerrard on the left, with Barry and Lampard in the centre, and continue to use Heskey and Rooney up front.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Which would just be ridiculous!

Give Carrick a chance, Joe Cole on the left, and maybe keep Lennon on the bench? He's a great player to bring on with 20mins left.

He HAS to do something different on Friday, just has to!

Anyway, tonight, I have my fingers crossed for a good game (still waiting for one really). Some games have been good, but I want a thriller, something like 3-2.

Its the one thing we're missing now. Its been a good start really, great atmosphere, some good games, clean play, no dirty stuff, just need a good thriller now.

If the atmosphere continues as it is through-out the tournament, I vote Africa to hold it every 4 years! Its been absolutely fantastic, people enyjoing themselves and partying everywhere! Its how it should be!

Dave

CF Legend
I don't think England played that badly, I think the mistake by Green almost over-shadowed the woeful finishing by Heskey and Wright-Phillips.

We had plenty of chances, some brilliantly sweeping passes. Gerrard's goal was a fantastic team move, nice held up ball by Heskey and then sweetly played into Gerrard who slotted home.

Now for the next game I believe we need to get away from the dull 4-4-2 formation which works for some games, but maybe not for some of our players. Maybe a tactic like 4-3-1-2 may work, with Hart in goal and then Gerrard in a attacking midfield helping to supply the two forwards.

I was late for the 2 afternoon games. No one so far has a perfect score.

Germany 3-2 Australia.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Epic fail:

front061310.jpg

Germany to win quite comfortably, but to be honest, the world cup so far has been quite boring and lacking in much entertainment...So C'mon Germany and bring some sparkle!

jokerman

Giga Poster
Give Carrick a chance, Joe Cole on the left, and maybe keep Lennon on the bench? He's a great player to bring on with 20mins left.

Why leave out Lennon from the starting team? Up until recently, all he did was what you're suggesting, and though he was good at that, I think his performance last night showed that he can play very well for a whole match, and it would be a shame to break up the great partnership down that wing with Johnson.

I'm extremely pleased that one of the Germans got booked for diving earlier!

RCF

Strata Poster
It felt like a win cuz everyone said we were gonna get our arses kicked by England. Yes it's wrong but what if everyone said y'all were gonna get your arses kicked and you tied and an English paper said that?

RCF

Strata Poster
Ah sports. What can ya do? :p

And Ciall weren't you the one who wrote on Facebook:
Ciall on FB said:
Right, time to get ready for work....C'mon England and lose so that the punters will leave early and not stay celebrating :)

:wink: