What's new

The Games we play...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
So I just bought Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix today.

Kingdom Hearts is one of my all time favorite games, wonky camera and all so I've been waiting for a good chance to replay it as I don't own a PS2. Goodbye Free time

Kebab

Giga Poster
So with GTAV releasing in just 5 days time, any PSN users up for starting a CF only gang? I was thinking something on the lines of 'Seaeffer Street Crew' or some ****

Anyone up for being Canonized? :)

PSN: Davo1993

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kebab said:
So with GTAV releasing in just 5 days time, any PSN users up for starting a CF only gang? I was thinking something on the lines of 'Seaeffer Street Crew' or some ****

Anyone up for being Canonized? :)

PSN: Davo1993

I'd love to, but I'd never get a chance to play it unfortunately. Love the name though :)

Youngster Joey said:
So I just bought Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix today.

Kingdom Hearts is one of my all time favorite games, wonky camera and all so I've been waiting for a good chance to replay it as I don't own a PS2. Goodbye Free time

See, so many fantastic games out in the next week. KH 1.5 which I'm desperate for; Puppeteer, which is one of the best presented games to be released ever. GTA V which I'll never have time to play.

Then in just a few weeks, Beyond: Two Souls is out which is going to be epic (big Heavy Rain fan here). Such a horrid time to be a PS3 owner with four incredible games out in such a short space of time.

As I've got £20 on my PSN account, I think I'll end up with just Puppeteer as it's only £25 all in. I'll grab KH 2.5 later is I get a chance, but all my spare cash is building the PS4 fund at the moment.

marc

CF Legend
Thank god I read this topic.

Just ordered Kingdom Hearts cannot wait to play it again, I loved it and even after all this time I still want to play it.

Had to get a new ps3 that cannot play ps2 games so this is perfect :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The reviews are very "better than the original in that they've fixed a few issues, but still frustrating and gorgeous" :lol:

It's also got a second game Marc, and the cut scenes from the DS game or something? Apparently the cut scenes bit are about 3 hours long and almost like a full movie!!!

marc

CF Legend
Tbh I ordered it god knows what it's even got lol. I think it's the 1st and 2nd game with the extra parts you mentioned.

kimahri

CF Legend
Been playing through WipEout 2048 While on holiday.

I will say I enjoyed it, I mean, It's Wipeout and I love Wipeout but it's just a little lackijg in it's event list and freedom in that respect...

Oh well. was still fun and a nice send off to a wonderful series, especially in the Graphic design.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That sounds about right to be honest Marc. It's supposed to be absolutely beautiful though. I know the original was lovely on the PS2, and the HD remake is stunning.

I think the PS2 was like this too, so many absolutely fantastic games arrived within the 12 months around the time the PS3 came out.

Play are doing a special today. £180 for a 500Gb PS3 with GTA V and The Last of Us, incredible really :lol:

I wish I had enough cash and time to delve into them all... I can wait until the annual drought next year and pick them all up really cheap then I think.

Edit: I like WO 2048 Kim, but it's really just more of the same, of more of the same, of more of the same. It's one of those games I really want to love (the entire Wipeout series is), but I just can't. I enjoy them, but never really love them. I think most people think the same which is why sales slumped and Studio Liverpool, only doing the same thing over and over, went down.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm Inclined to agree there. I think it was more of sony eventually getting in the way in the very end rather than running out of ideas. But hey they managed to spread it out over nearly 20 years and it started getting too samey nearer the end.

Compare that to COD or anything by EA then it's not too bad. Bonus points for doing the same of it's own thing in it's own way?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I read interviews with Studio Liverpool the other week, Sony weren't really involved at all. Sony would go to Studio Liverpool and say "we have new hardware, do us something cool" and they'd have six months of meetings and discussions about it while they worked in their own time on the next Wipeout (well, that's kind of it ;) ).

Then Sony would come round and say "where's the new game?" and they'd look sheepish and bring out the part time Wipeout effort that was written to look stunning on the new hardware. Sony would go away pleased they had a show piece.

Sadly they never sold well. They were too difficult (even the later more accessible ones) for most people. They also have a very Japanese "this makes no sense, it's all design and whoosh, no clear ideas or path to follow" design ethic. It's all really lovely and gorgeous, but doesn't make a great deal of sense - there's no "story". There doesn't have to be, don't get me wrong, but to sell to the masses, it needs context and even the simplest of actual plot. For a racing game, that means an obvious Grand Prix or career mode or something, the different manufacturers and vehicle types need to be differentiated and explained. Essentially, it was stuck in 1995. They upgraded the graphics, speed and got the gameplay tightened to the Nth degree, but never made it a modern game.

Compared to EA/Activision stuff? It's much better because they actually cared about each release on the new platform (keeping in mind after the last PS1 version, there was just one "new" release per platform and essentially an add-on pack). They weren't just chucking out yearly updates ad nauseum, the games were lovingly crafted and built for each release platform. Sadly, to keep their audience they needed to retain what they already had, and that limits the time you can spend producing something new (which the audience probably wouldn't like). They had a tight audience too, enough to make the games popular, but not enough to make the studio profitable.

If they'd split the team and had people working on new ideas, it would have probably worked out for them, but they only did the one thing, and it wasn't a popular enough thing :(

spicy

Giga Poster
Been playing Splinter Cell Blacklist this week.

Really really enjoying this one. Has an Assasins Creed feel about it which I love. They have loosely incorporated the free running where you can jump over object and climb walls whilst running if you get into trouble which is a very nice addition.

I also like the way there are different routes to take which means there are a few different ways to complete the mission and get to the target, makes the game feel more free whereas in past games there may have been only one route through.

Not sure if Splinter Cell games are everyone's cup of tea but I would recommend it, its definitely keeping me entertained until GTA arrives!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I've been playing the Fifa 14 demo which I think is great, strength has certainly come into the game more as you can out muscle people better than before. I got this on my Xbox which is new. I think that online on Xbox is better than PS3 and am very impressed with it. I've also been playing fifa football on my vita.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix contains the Orignal KH, KH RE: Chain of Memories, and All the Cut Scenes from KH 358/2 Days. No Kingdom Hearts 2 included. We suspect it will get it's own HD collection.

Also, They didn't fix the Gummi Ship sections and the Camera hasn't changed at all.

Just a heads up for those considering buying the game

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Youngster Joey said:
and the Camera hasn't changed at all.

It's on the right stick now ;)

Puppeteer ordered and downloaded for me. Actually haven't been this excited to play a game for a long time. Both the kids are stoked too. I have no doubt that because it's possibly one of the most original, best presented games this generation, it'll sell four copies until the HHD remake in five years time when everyone will be going on about how fab it was and then be disappointed ;)

Mark

Strata Poster
Still totally loving Disney Infinity although Im getting to a point where although im nowhere near finished the 'challenges' etc I want more characters so I have more variety... Yeah... Disney saw me coming didn't they...

Another Disney one is the fact that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is out today (*at long blooming last). Im interested to see how it has translated, considering all the extra work they had to do with it! Marc has purchased our copy so I might get a look in this evening... MIGHT!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mark said:
Still totally loving Disney Infinity although Im getting to a point where although im nowhere near finished the 'challenges' etc I want more characters so I have more variety... Yeah... Disney saw me coming didn't they...

PMSL! They definitely did. I didn't push for us to have it because:

a) Toy Story 3 was like that. It was fantastic for hours and hours, but then suddenly needed a lot more to be unlocked to add variety. I could see that with Infinity happening and the unlocking to be paid for.

b) There's no way MMF could live with just three characters... Or six... Or twelve... ;)

Other than that, the models of the new characters are fantastic, it's such a high quality game and the figures are as good as collectables so even after playing, they look good in a cabinet :)

Mark said:
Another Disney one is the fact that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is out today (*at long blooming last). Im interested to see how it has translated, considering all the extra work they had to do with it! Marc has purchased our copy so I might get a look in this evening... MIGHT!

At least it's a game you can kind of join in and play with each other. We did the same with Ni No Kuni; taking it in turns (well, MMF would do the wandering about, I'd do the fighting bits) to advance the story and to enjoy the world and interaction. So it felt in the end like we'd both played it all the way through and we both got the most out of the story. KH looks similar.

Mark

Strata Poster
furie said:
Mark said:

PMSL! They definitely did. I didn't push for us to have it because:

a) Toy Story 3 was like that. It was fantastic for hours and hours, but then suddenly needed a lot more to be unlocked to add variety. I could see that with Infinity happening and the unlocking to be paid for.

b) There's no way MMF could live with just three characters... Or six... Or twelve... ;)

Other than that, the models of the new characters are fantastic, it's such a high quality game and the figures are as good as collectables so even after playing, they look good in a cabinet :)

Mark said:

At least it's a game you can kind of join in and play with each other. We did the same with Ni No Kuni; taking it in turns (well, MMF would do the wandering about, I'd do the fighting bits) to advance the story and to enjoy the world and interaction. So it felt in the end like we'd both played it all the way through and we both got the most out of the story. KH looks similar.

Totally. I don't just want the characters for the game, they are really cool figures too. I want to collect them. I can't wait for the limited edition sorcerer Mickey in phase 2 because well, it's Sorcerer Mickey!! If they don't bring out a Stitch at some point heads will roll though.

Tbh I was crap at KH. The first time around I was lost on the first level through my own stupidity. There was a race you had to do and I thought you had to win to proceed in the game. After an hour I got the ache and never picked it up again. Years down the line I met Marc who explained that you only had to do it once. If you won the race then yay you, if you didn't you could keep trying or just skip it.

Essentially my first proper experience with it was merely watching Marc play and enjoying the cutscenes. That in itself was incredibly entertaining because of the Disney storytelling :) I will play this time though, why? I want the trophies :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
Youngster Joey said:
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix contains the original KH

Actually, its the Japanese only release, Final Mix. We get a few added missions, a couple bosses and an extra end scene finally that helped to further explain the story.

Mark

Strata Poster
marc said:
I can see that bloody race having a trophy :(

What did you have to go and say that for? Seriously, you've totally ruined my day now. Just wait till you get home! :twisted:

Sorry, carry on everyone, back on topic.

Yeah it is Final Mix. From what I can tell they had to do redo bits of it such as the music because that originally used a built tone-board on the PS2 apparently. That has now been recorded by an actual orchestra <3 and the gameplay was upgraded to be more consistent with KH2. It general is was an upscale and clean up project but I can live with that :)