What's new

The Games we play...

Started playing Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut last night. Not far in yet, but its good so far. I love games like this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_szIfDAyU[/youtube]

November can't come sooner. I love Battlefield, so much more fun than Call of Duty.

Got Red Faction: Battlegrounds yesterday. Played a few of the training levels.

To be fair:

a) it was free
b) I have a cold

So I'm probably not going to give it a fair outing here today.

It's a really odd game. Vehicular combat around a fixed view of a circuit (airship view). It's using Robotron controls (left stick to move around, right tick to turret fire through 360 degrees) and little else. It makes you wonder why bother with vehicles? Surely the idea of vehicles is to have the fun of the physics of driving? Instead, vehicles turn on the spot and it feels like every other game.

It's not dreadful though. There's some fun to be had, but it really just made me want to play the superior Dead Rising. At least there are zombies and fun in that game.

It's designed as multiplayer, but I don't know how much length there is in it as such. I think you'd get pretty bored with the very simply maps, vehicles and weapons very quickly. Can't complain too much as it was free, but free rubbish still clutters the place up and makes it smell.

Speaking of which, I also got Sonic 2 for free. What a load of utter dross. Sonic is pretty bad, but you can see some redeeming features. Sonic 2 is more of the same, only with a fox, well wip ****ing de dee. Dull, tedious, irritating and the perfect example of why Sega went bust trying to flog that dog horse. Some things need to remain in the bygone bin.

BUT ITS A FOX! I AM FOX IRL DUDE AND TAILS IS FUKKIN SEXY AND I HAVE TO FAP TO HIM. FAAAAAAAAAP. DON'T JUDGE ME COZ I AM AFOX TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY THE WORLD JST HATES ME AND I MUST STA D OUT WITG CAT EARS.

MURR OR SOMETHING.

I've taken loads of 3d pictures of Alton Towers on my 3DS and they're immense! If only I could show you guys

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1Osnkr5Nc[/youtube]

And another one that shows more level footage. geeks will fangasm at the remixed Green Hill Zone music. It also has Mexican subtitles.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1g47beGap0[/youtube]

Finally, a game for old-school gamers to start frothing at the mouth about. Let's just forget games like Sonic Heroes, Sonic And The Black Knight and Sonic '06 ever happened, okay?

^Sonic is sadly just trying to stay afloat. No real effort has really been put in it lately and now they're trying everything.

In other news, I'm getting Portal 2 off steam. I'll let you know how it is after work, being that it's going to take 10 hours to download it.

I've not been doing much recently other than playing Portal 2.

It's been a long time since I've not slept in order to play a game.

If you weren't aware - the marketing campaign featured an indie game pack being released on Steam about 2 weeks ago. The pack had 13 games, all slightly edited to feature various Portally things; small puzzles, content from the other games, and lots and lots of potatoes. It all culminated in everyone who owned one of the games helping GLaDOS reboot, by collectively playing the games - unlocking Portal 2 early.

It was wonderful, and I had a load of fun before I'd even played the game. It's some of the best marketing I've had the pleasure to be a part of in... well, I think ever. I don't think (or at least, nothing springs to mind) anyone's ever managed to get people to buy other games in order to get you to buy their own. It was lovely, seeing thousands of people cooperating for a pretty extensive period of time. If you have the time, I'd recommend looking into what the Portal ARG folk found along the way.

And then the game unlocked, 9 hours earlier (5.30am - a wonderfully barmy time to play video games) than it would have otherwise, and, well... it's a bit good, isn't it?

After approximately 25 seconds, I was sporting an enormous grin. It stayed firm for the entire 8 hours of single player (and, I must say, I was torn between charging on and staying to smell the flowers - it could have easily stretched to 10 or beyond had I wanted it to). There's also a whole other co-op campaign which I've not touched yet. Length is, of course, no consequence to the game - it's the journey you're taken on that matters. And what a journey.

Constantly surprising, constantly intelligent and witty, and most of all: constantly funny. Stephen Merchant is utterly sublime as Wheatley, and I would very much to like to see him do more in this regard. Ellen McLain surpasses herself as GLaDOS (and others!). Both are able to deliver some cracking humour and some incredible depth, and there are quite a few examples of both throughout.

My biggest gripe with the game is the lack of asset and level streaming - so you might be in the middle of a particularly exciting and intense part of the game and then--loading. 15 seconds later, it's all back on again, but you've just been taken out of it. It's pretty distracting at times. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the likes of Dead Space 2, but loading isn't something I really want to spend a lot of time doing.

Technologically, they've managed to continue to update the Source engine to look as fresh as most contemporary engines recently with some pretty spectacular dynamic lighting and destructible environments, and using both you get a genuine sense of scale at times. Aperture Science truly is an enormous place, and even now I feel like only the surface has been cracked.

The music is now dynamically played, building on itself as you complete puzzles and tasks, and it's amazing how satisfying it is to hear this happen. I'm sat here typing and bouncing along to it, if that's any indication of what I think of it.

I think the thing I take the most from it is just how brilliant it is to play such a genuinely good game, and not just one that's good because of a particular sequence or aspect - it's good because everything is of such a high standard that I can't help but fall so utterly in love with it.

I really, really hope everyone else does too. For science. You monsters.

I purchased Portal 2 yesterday, but then found out that the Gears Of War 3 beta started so Portal will have to wait. :p
All I can say about the Gears Of War 3 beta is that if you didn't like the previous incarnations you probably won't like this one either, but if you liked either of the others you will love 3. It's everything that you would expect to find & then some. It's an online beta that doesn't feel like a beta other than the limited game types & maps. It runs silky smooth with improved graphics & game play. There are lots of new weapons with special execution moves for every weapon in the game (including ones like the mauler, that didn't have one before). There are also tons of ribbons & medals that you can earn to keep you going to try & earn them all, even though putting a smack down on opponents is quite satisfying on it's own.
I don't know what else to say other than Aidan & I started playing about 4pm yesterday & I didn't stop until 7am this morning other than to eat dinner & go to the bathroom (Aidan played until 11pm because he had to go to school today since spring break was last week :p ).
So if you're thinking of buying this game, go out & pre-order it now & you can join in on the beta next week when pre-order peeps get to join in on the fun. The beta runs through May 15, with new maps & game types being added each week (for those interested).

Edit - I forgot to add that everything earned in the beta (like flaming weapons, etc.) carries over to the game when it comes out in September & it only takes a $5 deposit to pre-order the game, which is worth it just for the beta if you don't want to purchase the game when it comes out.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Sonic. So I'll definitely give it a try. I just hope it's as awesome as the first ones... Or at least close to it.