What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Smelly said:
The ps3 has LOADS of GREAT exclusives which more than justifies paying the 300 quid asking price for one.

I've already been here Smelly.

To get a 360 of equivalent hardware to the PS3, it would cost MORE. And then I'd have HD-DVD rather than Blu-Ray.

Pricing means nothing. Happiness means everything.

I'd be unhappy with a 360. I'm happy with a PS3. Nothing can change that. This is what people don't understand (and is what you're trying to say but are getting annoyed about).

Home is actually very good... If you're 14 and have far too much time on your hands. I like mucking about in it and have done for a few weeks, but it's not somewhere I'm going to be spending much time.

It reminds me of the Wii to be honest. Mii parades, all the channels, etc. Great ideas, use them for a few weeks - give up and then just use the system for playing games :lol:

mrclam

Giga Poster
Come now furie... Dont you start too!

I was equally scathing of all machines...

My point was that I dont think home is particularly good nor the "second coming thing which is gonna save sony".. But i pass this opinion an all of a sudden i'm a sony hater or a fan of one of the others.. Makes me mad when you cant pass an opinion on something without everyone starting this "mines better than yours" bull.

My opinion is that playstation home is a complete waste of time and money (for sony). They should've used that development time and money to make games rather than that monstrous useless thing.. But hey.. it's free to the user (as long as they dont actually want to do anything in it!)

NOTE: Im stating an opinion on a piece of software.. i have no preference for hardware.. Personally i only care about the software on the hardware...

Ollie

CF Legend
^I don't think that you're really understanding what we're trying to say. We're not going around saying one is better than the other. We're merely saying which we prefer and are giving our reasons why.
Furie said what I said about the 360 having a lower shelf cost but costs more in the long run to get half the software that the PS3 has. Also Home wasn't intended as a game. It's just a bit of fun where you can go round and meet new people.
It's like Coasterforce but instead of just writing you have a character that resembles yourself where you can do lots of things and interact with other users.
And no-one ever said you were a fanboy or a Sony hater so I don't know where you got that idea from.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
OK Ollie (and all others interested), I was not about to go into the whole 360 vs PS3 thing. I merely wanted to point out some of the problems I have with the post you made, primarily with the console interfaces & their online component. Smelly did a fine job, if somewhat sarcastic, but unfortunately it ran over into the 360 vs PS3 thing.

Ollie said:
Home isn't an interface. You still have the XMB for the main menu which is miles better than the stupid Xbox interface.
That is strictly an opinion with no factual basis. I have tried out the PS3 interface and prefer that of the 360, but I'm not going to say that one is better than the other as they are both just an interface (not an operating system).

Ollie said:
Home was also free which is something Microsoft would NEVER do. And the only thing you have to pay for in Home is for "extra" furniture, clothes and houses. But even those are in pence.
Home is free for now, but Sony can't keep losing millions (pounds/dollars - whichever you prefer) and will likely have to change their model once more people like yourself will be willing to shell out cash for the pleasure.
Sony losses $100 for each PS3 sold and must reply on their software to make any sort of profit for the SCEA division. Resistance2, LBP, Gran Turismo, God of War 3 & Killzone 2 will hopefully bring in enough to make that happen by the 3rd quarter of '09, but with the smallest install base of the 3 consoles that might not occur.

Ollie said:
Seriously the only greedy company is Microsoft. They charge you loads for each game.
I don't know about overseas, but here in the States both 360 & PS3 games have the same sticker price. Only Wii games cost less.

Ollie said:
Charge you EVERY YEAR to play online.
The charge is just under $50 for the year to play games online, but all other online features are free. Considering how much better the XBL performance is, I think its money well spent as it helps MS maintain a high quality online service. Plus MS breaks even on every console sold and with MGS bringing out the most successful game franchise in history (Halo) & exclusives like Gears of War, there will be no need to charge more sometime in the future.
As for the debate over which online component is better, you need to look no further than Reggie Fils-Aime's Attack of the Show interview from a couple months ago where he admitted that both Nintendo & Sony have "quite a bit of catching up to do" to reach XBL's performance level.
I can also list numerous posts (including your own) on the troubles Sony has just getting their Home update onto everyone's console and subsequest connection timeouts. The 360 dashboard update (with the avatars, movie streaming & other additions) went off without a hitch and took only a couple of minutes to complete.

Ollie said:
Charge you for updates and it doesn't come with anything built in and they charge you extortionate prices to add them on.
I have never paid for an update for the console or any games (original xbox or the 360). Every game I have purchased comes with 'everything built in', so I don't understand what you are talking about there. Additional add-ons that are later released by MGS & 3rd party manufacturers are not exorbitantly priced and cost the same as said add-ons for the PS3 (Guitar Hero & Rock Band songs for example).

Ollie said:
Yes PS3 has a higher shelf value, but XBOX costs more in the long run.
As Smelly said, not if you have no intention of playing online as there is no additional cost at all for the 360. Even with the extra charge for Gold membership, it would likely take the lifespan of the console for the 360 to reach the initial investment a PS3 will set you back.

All that being said, I still feel - like Smelly - that it's simply a matter of preference. I prefer online first person shooters & the 360 is clearly the better console for that. Others prefer role playing games & the PS3 takes the nod there. But those gaps are narrowing & perhaps one day the playing fields will be level for all types of games.
Having different consoles manufactures is only good for us gamers overall, as competition keeps prices down & games from becoming generic. I hated the Wii when it first launched as I felt that all it had to offer was a gimmick or two (motion sensitive controller & Mii avatars), but although the PS3 motion sensitive controller was a bust, the Mii avatars success clearly influenced both competing consoles for the better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've discussed this with Jerry, and I agree with everything he's posted.

I also agree with everything Smelly posted, except on the cost front - but that is down to personal preference. I want Wifi, HDMI, HDD and Blu-Ray - the closest I can get to that with a 360 is actually more expensive. However, if I wanted streamlined shooters with good online, then I'd be having a cheap as badgers 360 :)

Smelly, I think Home is just beyond us as old farts. I think it IS ahead of its time, and the 14 year olds will make or break it. Still in Beta which is why it struggles...

Ollie

CF Legend
Although this has hardly any relevance and it's quite old stats now I may as well quote what I said ages ago. Some of you may remember this. :p
Bare in mind this isn't me having a go. It's just so that before anyone makes any claims they know the facts.
Like Furie people like a console depending on their budget and what they prefer.

Ollie ages ago said:
Right I want this console war to end, NOW!
So I’ve put together a list comparing the two consoles to see which one is the best and stop this silly arguing.

Hardware
PS3:The PS3 has a CPU known as the Cell Broadband Engine.
It has a whopping 8 cores that run at 3.2GHz Each.
6 are used for your games
1 is dedicated to the OS and Security
The 8th isn’t used.

360The Xbox 360 uses a Triple Core CPU which is similar to your computer CPU.
They run at 3.2GHz each.

The PS3 has Seven Cores, while the 360 only has Three, This means PS3 is twice as powerful.
PS3: 1 Xbox 360: 0

Graphics Processing Unit
PS3:The PS3 uses a GPU known as the Reality Synthesizer.
It processes at 550MHz
It has 256mb RAM that runs at 1.3GHz
The RAM is dedicated to the CPU.

360The Xbox 360 uses a GPU known as a Xenos.
It runs at 500MHz
It has 512mb RAM, but this is shared by the CPU, so you’ll never use over 400mb.
This RAM runs at 800MHz for the entire system.

As we don’t entirely know the capacity of the Xbox 360 Xenos chip the score is now...
PS3: 2 Xbox 360: 0

Looks
PS3: There's no saying the PS3 looks bad,
Though fingerprints do show on it’s black finish.

360: Not too big, though it’s not very good looking.

The 360 has a huge great box on it’s power cable which is really inconvenient, while the PS3 just has a cable straight to the mains.
PS3: 3 Xbox 360: 1

The Disks
PS3:The PS3 uses a format called Blu-ray ROM.
It uses a blue laser to read instead of red.
These disks can hold up to 50GB on one disk.
It reads alot faster than the Xbox 360.

360: The Xbox 360 uses an old format disk called DVD-ROM
These disks can hold up to 15GB, Nowhere near the amount of space the PS3 has.

GTAIV has been made smaller because of the Xbox 360 disk.
The city is smaller and the amount of content is small. The game is spread over 3/4 disks, while the PS3 has the whole game on one disk.

PS3: 4 Xbox 360: 1

Features
PS3: Up to 7 wireless
360: Up to 4 wireless

PS3: controllers charge in 15 minutes and last 30 hours.
Xbox 360: AA batteries (heavy, expensive) lasts 40 hours.

PS3: Controller range of 75 feet
Xbox 360 Controller range of 30 feet.

PS3: Sixaxis Technology
Xbox 360 No Sixaxis

PS3: 6 USB Ports
360: 2 USB Ports

PS3: All camera memory card imports.
360: Nothing

PS3: Free internet
360: Annual fee of £40.

PS3: Built in Blu-ray player
360 £120 extra for HD-DVD drive (which has lost the format war)

PS3: WIFI Ready
360: £60 WIFI Adapter

PS3: 1080P HD Output
360 720P HD Output

PS3: Vibration in controllers
360: Vibration in controllers

PS3: Light Controllers
360: Heavy controllers

PS3: Heaps of backwards compatibility
360: Little backwards compatibility

PS3: Silent Fan
360: Very Noisy Fan

PS3: Up to 750GB Hard Drive
360: Up to 120GB Hard Drive

PS3: No Over Heating problems
360: Over Heating problems

PS3: Internal Power supply
360: Huge external brick Power supply

PS3: 5 Xbox 360: 1

Games

Since the 360 has been out for an extra 16 months before the PS3, it has more games on the market.

The PS3 has over 224 games incoming or already out.

The Xbox 360 has 280 titles in development or released. For a console that's been out for more than a year than it’s rival it’s not that many more titles.

PS3 can handle more, and can be more creative and are not all 100% war related like 360 games.

PS3: 6 Xbox 360: 2

PS3 WINS: 6-2

I hope that sorted all these false claims out, and has shown which machine is truly better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie - fail. Pure specs don't count... And you made stuff up subjectively.

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
Ollie - fail. Pure specs don't count... And you made stuff up subjectively.

+1

Seriously.

Who here bought the ps3, 360, wii or anyother console under the sun purely for specs?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^^^Ollie, that post was a fail the first time around, now you've made it an Epic Fail!
Haven't you got the message yet? We're tired of the whole PS3 vs 360 thing. My reply was just to show you the flaws of your post. Have you not seen any of UC's epic replies in the coaster topics? You need to use actual facts or proceed your statements with a 'I think' or 'IMO' at a minimum when making such statements. Now why don't you go spend a half hour or so trying to connect to Home?! :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
PLCP said:
Honestly, who the hell would be playing a PS3 from 75 feet away?

Shush - I quite often play on my PS3 using my PSP while on the toilet ;)

kimahri

CF Legend
I like Touhou. It is a great Doujin Bullet hell series.

Since they are Doujin games they are free... Technically.

http://www.doujinstyle.com/ download them... ALLL!!!!

I like all of them but personally I'd start with 8 (Imperishable Night) cause it isn't THAT hard.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Personally - and i say this realising it could get me fired..

ALL THREE "next gen" consoles are a bit.. shall we say.. rubbish!

Neither the ps3 or 360 have given us a significant leap over the previous generation .. The 360 hardware (speaking from experience - on my EIGTH!!!! Replacement!) is a pile of poo! But then the ps3 with all its tech gubbins - the multi platform games tend to look WORSE than the 360 games and there's nothing exclusive on the thing to really shout about... Well i guess there's liittle big planet.. but (and yes i've played it a lot - and i was one of those masturbating over the prospect of playing it).. it's not actually very good!

Surre you can build your own worlds.. etc etc... But yet - im a game developer.. i can builld my own worlds whenever i want... My own 2d pl,atformers will ALWAYS pale in comparision to a GOOD 2d platformer (like mario).. And even then.. Add physics to platforming and iit's gonna suck even more (BIG RANT TO FOLLOW BUT I'VE JUST REALISED I CANT BE ARSED!)

.. But before i go.. have to slagg off the non-existante software on the wii too!

It doesnt matter WHICH machine you;'ve chosen this gen - THEY'RE A:: ****E!!! It's not like the last gen where the ps2 was clearly the best machine for having fun.. or the gen before than where it was a toss up between the ps1 and n64.. or the gen before that where it was the snes.

This gen.. all of the consoles are absolute toss in their own ways...

Kinds depressing from a gamers pov.\

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yet both me and Minor_Furie are having the best few gaming years ever due to first the Wii, then the PS3.

We are entertained. Games are meant to entertain. So the consoles do succeed in what they're meant to do.

I don't want to be playing 2D Mario for the rest of my life (did I mention we got the SNES out :lol: ?). I want to continue to be entertained by new games, which do new things, or old things in a different way.

Surely that is the point? I don't care about hardware, or generations, as long as there are great games which keep me entertained?

mrclam

Giga Poster
I did have a point.. but it's 1.30am .. and i'm drunk.. and it's time to go to bed...

i'll come back here to counter yer argument in about 8 hrs time

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Surely that is the point? I don't care about hardware, or generations, as long as there are great games which keep me entertained?

Which was EXACLTY what i was saying earlier!

(and that Playstation Home is poo)

.. Im gonna go pass out now.. goodnight!

Ollie

CF Legend
The Gamecube was actually a pretty fun console.
I would also get a Wii as well. But can see myself getting bored with it very quickly as it's not exactly what I want to do when playing games almost daily, so having little goes when I go round my cousins house is enough to keep it slightly fresh and enjoyable. And most of the games are still great fun to play. Little Big Planet, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Call of Duty (4 & WaW) Gears of War and of course Home. :p
The online has improved massively this generation of consoles which is a big part of gaming now and is what sees most games to be played once they're single player mode has been completed.

In other news I've only got two more treasures left to find in Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. :p
I'm trying to work through the games I've got and unlock all the trophies. :)