What's new

The Games we play...

big john

Mega Poster
After just aquiring GRID again id be up for some racing tonight if its cool just chuck me a message when ya on and ill join you.

As for AvP yes when we played the promo copy at work it was soooo cool bt after actually getting into it quite a way its starting to get very boring and repetative and even recycling levels. the marines are the best to play as as the aliens are just messed up control wise there just doesnt seem to be any smothnes in them at all and as for preditors they are cool to start off with but controls start to become inconsistant and shoddy the more you play i think its another of those HAZE games it looks nice but just needed a little more time and money spent on it, I think im gonna leave it till it goes into deal of the week in 2 weeks and get battlefield instead

Ollie

CF Legend
Got a few more demos from the store today...

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing:
Really liked it.
The courses are fun to drive around and the characters and items are fun and varied. It's also got a nice glossy look to it.
Although there's only one course and 2 characters in the demo you can still look around the menus at the other tracks and they look like they'll be great to drive round.
Would definitely buy the full game if I could afford to get it as it's great fun to play and I assume will be awesome against mates or online. :)

Digger HD:
Wasn't sure what the objective was as it booted you straight into a game. It's quite easy to get used to though as the objective is pretty easy. You drive around underground collecting diamonds while these alien things chase you. Although they can only manoeuvre around the tunnels you've dug. There's also bags of money for bonus points that you've got to dig under so they drop and break open before you collect what's inside.
Not really impressed enough to buy it though as the demo is enough for me to play when I want to spent 10 minutes or so relaxing playing something different.

Dynasty Warriors:
Not really my type of game but still gave it a go. It's essentially just run around hitting square and triangle for light and heavy attacks on hordes of infinite enemies with a boss in each zone. Each time you kill the big guy in each zone you move forward to another zone and do exactly the same thing.
Wasn't really fun and got repetitive and boring super quick.

Yakuza 3:
First thing I noticed was how poor the graphics were for a PS3 game.
Moving around is horrible as the main character has this strange half walk half run movement that sucks. Then it's a small pointless cut-scene followed by about 4 minutes of pressing the x button as they have a silent conversation while the text appears on the screen.
Fighting is pretty crap as well. He makes the same noises over and over with each move and when the enemy blocks it just seems to create an invisible barrier between you so you just seem to slide around the room. Also when you kick this blue streak appears from under your leg which makes no sense. Half the time when you fight as well you seem to magically get set on fire with blue/purple flames.
Don't get what's so good about it as it's quite popular in Japan.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing:
Really liked it.
The courses are fun to drive around and the characters and items are fun and varied. It's also got a nice glossy look to it.
Although there's only one course and 2 characters in the demo you can still look around the menus at the other tracks and they look like they'll be great to drive round.
Would definitely buy the full game if I could afford to get it as it's great fun to play and I assume will be awesome against mates or online. :)

I was a bit 50/50 with the demo. Being a major Sonic fan, the courses and characters have a lot to please for me, and I noticed there was a decent hand-full of courses to choose from. My first impressions were OK.

I was a bit confused why Banjo was a lot faster than Sonic, I'd have swapped them the other way round to be a bit more realistic, and the graphics weren't too bad, it's just the nasty frame-rate drops and lag which get me, ouch. The controlling doesn't feel that great; in comparison to Mario Kart it is pretty poor, I felt like I was glued to the track and the drifting mechanics seem uncomfortable. The weapon selection is basic; "roll a bomb", "speed up", "set traps", the Chaos Emeralds item caught my attention the most, it's like a special technique your character uses (Sonic turns into Super Sonic, Banjo drops massive gears), it was pretty nice to see and good fun when playing split screen.

It was also way too difficult on it's default setting! I'm just going to check reviews see what they give as a verdict; it's different as we hardly see many games of this kind any more, if it it's given poor ratings looks like I'm sticking to good old CTR on the PS One :--D

Kebab

Giga Poster
^@Smithy - I've got that downloaded onto my PS3, it's still as epic as it was 13 years ago! I'm on disc 2, I've got the Highwind and I'm just searching for the last of the Huge materia :--D

Anyone know how to activate the Ultima materia? I forgot.. :?

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah it was Pierre. I'm keeping the demo though for something to do for 10 minutes when I want a break and something different in between other games.

Edit: Also the God of War III demo is coming out next week on the PSN.

And also if you missed the link on the last page to the Interactive Heavy Rain Trailer you can have a go here. :)
www.youtube.com/heavyrain.

Lain

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
kimahri said:
Ugh, FFVII. >:C

I'm actually more shocked that Kim has said this than anything else he's ever posted :?

He's one of those weird ones who thinks VII is among the worst and VIII is among the best.

Silly kim. Silly.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^What's so bad about FFVII? :)

I think it's the best one, gameplay aside, I really got sucked in the world unlike VIII and IX; but X is an exception. I just thought it was generally ground-breaking for a game at that time. :?

kimahri

CF Legend
Lain said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
kimahri said:

I'm actually more shocked that Kim has said this than anything else he's ever posted :?

He's one of those weird ones who thinks VII is among the worst and VIII is among the best.

Silly kim. Silly.

Silly Lain. Silly.

VI is the best by far. VIII is kinda boring as well.

Lain

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
Lain said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
kimahri said:

Silly kim. Silly.

Silly Lain. Silly.

VI is the best by far. VIII is kinda boring as well.

Bah.

I'm quite partial to XII myself, and XIII is gonna be sweeeeet.

Ollie

CF Legend
Went onto the American Store and downloaded the first episode of The Tester. It was pretty good and seems like it could be an actual TV program although it might have quite a niche audience.
It's funny watching them get all emotional when they get booted off and all the Americans getting excited shouting "OMG IT'S UNCHARTED 2 WOOOOOOOOO!!!" When they find the box in the area where they're staying. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
That Digger HD was utter tosh.

Maxi-Minor_Furie loves it and forced us to buy the full game. Actually, it's great for him, but it's really dull and annoying. Ah well :)

kimahri

CF Legend
Speaking of Square Enix games...

I finished The World Ends With You.

It is actually, really ****ing awesome! The story was brilliant as is the battle system once I got used to it and it was alot of fun to play. Quite glad I got it actually.

So if you have a DS, buy it!