What's new

The Games we play...

Pierre

Strata Poster
It says on the info... 14 days, but you can only play it for 48 hours, so basically you can watch the movie around 24 times or less for 14 days based on a movie being 2 hours long which a lot aren't anyway.

If you've never played online with the riot shield before on Modern Warfare 2, do it now, hilarious it is.

Ollie

CF Legend
^That was sooo last Wednesday. :p

And am I the only one not finding Yahtzee as funny as he used to be? I watch his reviews every week and don't find myself laughing as much as I used to.

Dave

CF Legend
I think he's selective. Like he'll rip into games that are popular with good points and then be a bit lacklustre when its a random game

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Pierre said:
It says on the info... 14 days, but you can only play it for 48 hours, so basically you can watch the movie around 24 times or less for 14 days based on a movie being 2 hours long which a lot aren't anyway.

Not quite.

Once you press play you have 48 hours to watch it, not 48 hours viewing time within 2 weeks.

2 weeks is just how long you have to press play.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah so if you accidentally press play on it when going through the XMB (who would be stupid enough to do that anyway) then it starts the 48 hour timer.
Mind you £2.50 is a good price to rent movies and an extra £1 to make it HD is really good as well. Just some of the older movies are still about £12 to buy which needs looking at but it's good how it as at the moment I think. :)

marc

CF Legend
So why do they let itunes charge for programes?

That always bugs me.

Top Gear on Iplayer is free, Top Gear on iTunes is £1.49.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mackem Lad said:
^Game sharing is now officially banned in accordance to the recently updated T&C's.

I don't think "game sharing" was ever legal anyway to be honest (in the way people used it).

You can still download to multiple PS3's - Sony couldn't stop this as you pay for the game, so you have to be allowed to play it on replacement hardware. The T's and C's are clear in that they state it's only for a PS3 the person who bought the game owns. The bigwig at Sony cocked up and went against the actual T's and C's in a fit of excitement.

Anyway, it's still the same as it was, just clarification on a few things.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/11/25/ ... s-still-5/

marc said:
So why do they let itunes charge for programes?

That always bugs me.

Top Gear on Iplayer is free, Top Gear on iTunes is £1.49.

Is that recent Top Gear, or old?

The BBC can charge for old content (in the same way they charge for DVd's), however, iPlayer only contains a limited time period of "catch up" TV. The idea is that if you missed a show, you still have a week or so to catch it on iPlayer. Beyond that, you won't find it (though some series are cached for longer)

marc

CF Legend
Furie it's last weeks Top Gear and the one just gone £1.89.

One of which is still available free on iplayer for free, so this BBC wont allow Xbox to charge but let iTunes charge is a bit of a joke really.

Anyway the quality of the iplayer on the PS3 is complete rubbish, your better off watching it via a PC, Freeview or SKY or Virgin Box which I might add that you also pay for :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bizarre! I always watch iPlayer on the PS3 rather than the Virgin Box! Quality on the PS3 is better, it's easier to find stuff and Sony haven't failed to record the middle 30 minutes of Life like Virgin did :roll:

So yeah, I always use the PS3 for iPlayer.

Anyway, yeah, it's odd they let iTunes charge. Is it because it's a direct sale for a programme? So like buying a DVD, the end user chooses which content they wish to pay for?

Unlike MS, where they won't give you the free iPlayer service unless you pay them. It's a different approach. One is paying for precise content you want, the other is charging for content that is supposed to be provided for free.

I'll bet they'd let MS sell episodes and series, but not charge for their free iPlayer service - because it's supposed to be free.

marc

CF Legend
But I pay for my Virgin box and this lets me use iPlayer, so in a way it is the same as people who pay to use the Xbox service.

People are paying to use the Xbox anyway, the same as I pay for Virgin anyway. So from my point of view it is no different.

Unless Microsoft wish to charge £5 or something to use iPlayer.

I agree that iPlayer on the PS3 is easier to use, I just found the quality of the picture really bad. And yes Virgin do fail to record things properly and sometimes they take a day to put stuff up.

iTunes is a direct sale, you can buy a season pass or singles.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Likewise if you just had a PC, you'd be paying for broadband. The Virgin box is a carrier, much like a broadband connection.

However, I don't know if iPlayer would remain available if you stopped paying for Virgin - I think it is still broadcast as a free "channel" (three years ago the free digital channels could all be accessed by any Virgin/NTL box on a cable connection, if you paid for it or not). I think that's the difference.

marc

CF Legend
You can still get iPlayer on Freeview and Freesat, but a lot of people choose to pay extra and have Virgin or Sky. Even though you pay for Sky and Virgin they say BBC, ITV etc is free. It is in a way that you dont pay extra for these but you are still paying the £25 or whatever to use the Virgin equipment. Now I can not get Freeview well in my area so I have no choice but to go to Virgin or I wont be able to watch TV.

I am not saying its right to pay for it btw, but seeing that people are already paying for Xbox Live I dont see what the problem is. They are not paying any extra on top of that for iPlayer and its the same for Virgin and Sky. Thats what I am trying to say.

Does the Xbox have an internet browser? If yes then people can probably watch iPlayer anyway I even can on my iPhone now.

God this has gone well off topic lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, it's all good Marc :)

If you have a Sky box, or Virgin box, but don't pay for them, you still get iPlayer.

If you have a 360 and want iPlayer - you have to pay for it. there we are, sorted. iPlayer should always be offered free, and MS won't :)

marc

CF Legend
Yes I agree with that, its wrong for MS to charge extra for a free service that was developed to run on their software anyway.

I probably misunderstood. I thought it was included in the price of the Xbox Live and not extra on top of that.

Has anyone down loaded movies using the PS3, I saw the advert last night for the 1st time. Just wondered what the quality was like. They say HD but is this as good as Blu Ray?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You would only get iPlayer as part of an Live "Gold" account, but not as part an parcel of the free Live service - so you don't pay for iPlayer, but you have to be paying MS to get the service. That's the crux of it. BBC say it should be provided as part of the online service for anyone if they pay or not. MS say that it must go into their services that people pay a fiver a month for.

I don't know what the HD quality will be like (but I know the download would be a killer). Also, as we only have a 720p TV, I'd not know if it was any better than Blu-Ray anyway. I can't find any details on what they class as HD, if it's 720 or 1080. However, I'd assume on 1080. General playback quality should be the same as Blu-Ray.

HD files are 8Gb - so you might need a bigger HDD!!!