What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
furie said:
From Japan?
Yeah I made a Japanese PSN account. :)
I was going to get the Pixeljunk animated theme but you had to pay 200 yen for it and I have no idea how much that is. :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
^Cool. I still wouldn't know how to buy stuff of it though. I wish I knew how to read Japanese or there was some guide on the net on how to use the Japanese store if you're English.

Ollie

CF Legend
OMG the Japanese PSN is great. It's worth it just for their version of Home. Their Home Square is massive and has a giant robot in it. It also has loads of other cool areas such as a beach and a fairground where you can play the sideshows to win items. Also they have a rainforest you can walk through where you come across this cave and inside is a series of Indiana Jones style challenges. You have to ride rollercoaster mine trains withought coming off the track, run from rolling boulders, dodge fire blasts etc it's great.
But that's not even the best area. They have an amazing themed Haunted Hospital area based on Siren. There's a game inside where you get into groups and you have to work your way through the hospital and collect things while avoiding the zombie nurses that are after you. It's just the way they've done the lighting and the camera angles. It feels like a whole game on it's own. :)

So yeah It's well worth getting a Japanese PSN. It's also really easy and there's plenty of step by step tutorials on youtube and game sites if you need help.

Also downloaded some demos and some of the free PSone games they had on their store. :)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but is anyone else looking foward to Warioware DIY?
To date, each title has included some sort of unique gameplay style (Too bad you never got Warioware Twisted in the UK) but in this one you actually can make your own Microgames (As in doing the sprites, programing the logic, then composing the music) and then share them online, or play them on Wii (Via a Wiiware title)

Naturally, the game has the bizzare 'premade' stages
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1rpHNmb9h8[/youtube]

But already people are coming up with some pretty well done games (And plenty of rude ones!)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlbL8tS-L0&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3o1lNSueoo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUW2y5A9YA[/youtube]

Ollie

CF Legend
Downloaded the Wall-E demo from the US PSN last night. Even though the game has been out for while.
I was expecting some crappy thing but it was actually pretty fun. It reminded me of those old performers you used to get like the Toy Story one. It took a while to get going but when the door slid open and you saw all the fat people zooming around on their hover chairs it got better. Especially if you bump into them and they spin and all the safety devices on their chair inflate. :lol:
Having said that I'm still not sure if the whole game would be that good.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just played a few more demos...

FIFA 10:
I'm not really a football fan but I still download the demo for the footy games each year. This one doesn't seem as good visually as last years one if I remember. I know there's not alot you can do with the graphics as the camera is always miles away from the players but it just doesn't look that realistic. I scored a goal though which doesn't come across often for me in football games as I'm crap at them. :p

Katamari Forever:
Really weird game this. I'd seen videos and review of it before and other ones from the series. The controls looks simple but are actually really clumsy and didn't feel right. Also it seems impossible to do well. I keep going back to the water and getting rid of the sand but there's not enough time to do all of it and then you get told at the end how crap you did when I was doing it as fast as I possibly could. Also it gets quite boring quickly. Don't see how it can last a whole game at all as rolling around just gets dull. The artwork is nice though and the game is very colourful. :)

DiRT 2:
I find this game extremely boring. I'm not joking you the first time I played this demo I fell asleep. I got those prolonged blinks where you nod of for a few seconds before waking up but it happens over and over. It was quite amusing though going round the track and then waking up again when there's a bang and you've gone off the track and into the wall. :p It may of also been due to me not getting any sleep the night before.
But even so I've just replayed it tonight and it still doesn't feel good. It just feels fake and isn't exciting at all. Not even when those fire blaster things explode next to the track as you go over jumps.

So all in all the demos I played were all pretty meh. But I'm trying to play a wide range of games though rather than stick to one genre. I know some people are probably going to moan at how I felt about these demos but hey it's how I felt about them. I didn't want to dislike them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kim is correct. Katamari is good and I completed both levels first time around. The game can't help the fact you're retarded :p

If you fall asleep driving on Dirt, then you're either going two mile an hour, or always off the road. On the rally race you HAVE to powerslide within the first twenty seconds around a corner or you'll never get a decent lap. Again, maybe you're confusing lack of skill with poor gameplay :p

To really put the point home. The Wall-E demo was evidence of the worst game ever made, really seriously awful awful game. But very simple to play.

Ergo - Ollie has no skill and can't spot a decent game if it slaps him in the face :)

I've been playing Fuel for the last couple of days. It's alright I guess, but the racing is pretty dull and it can't decide if it's a sandbox open world or a simple menu based racer.

I will pick it up when I see it for under a tenner I think (it's borrowed at the moment).

Dirt 2 full game to play on this weekend :)

Lain

Giga Poster
In addition to the above, you can't really expect to enjoy a football game unless you enjoy football, which Ollie clearly doesn't. :p

FIFA 09 was the best football game ever, and FIFA 10 looks to improve it in many aspects. The demo was great, and I'm looking forward to it!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's because the graphics weren't very good ;)

We'll gloss over the fact the graphics for Wall-E on the PS3 were ported from the Wii! :p

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
FIFA 10 demo is awesome.

Passing is slick and crossing has been perfected - the player actually picks out a team mate now!

Very impressed! :)

peep

CF Legend
Football games? They all be the same *waits for abuse* :p

My sister decided to buy Guitar Hero 5 today. It is miles better than the previous games. The menus are easier to navigate etc, for singing there are now 3 different ways to get the lyrics up, the song selection is just amazing, the graphics have improved slightly, it seems to load faster than the previous titles and best of all......PS3 TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've only played quickstart mode so far so we still have loads to look into (new story mode for example) but after 2-3 hours of playing we have decided it's the best to be released under the Guitar Hero name.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm down to the second rank in No More Heroes.

1. Rank 3's cannon is epic and tarrifying at the same time.

2. Bad girl is AWESOME! She uses a bat and starts hitting gimps at you. No joke. That and her theme is also AWESOME!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGOyk8Jdu8&feature=related[/youtube]

I also saw a boss demo for NMH2 Desperate Struggle. Do want!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I rented The Bourne Conspiracy on Friday night. Overall, I don't think it's a bad game. Basically, the story is the first movie's highlights, plus some things he did before the movie started. You start off in Marseilles, heading towards the docks to get on Wombosi's boat. Then, you have to kill him(you don't, like in the movie) and you end up floating in the Mediterranean. You then have a flashback where you're chasing a guy through an airport in Zurich. After, you find yourself escaping the Embassy in Zurich, followed by tearing up a university. I'm still at the university, which is about 60% through the game. The game is mainly a fighting game, but you do have guns. The shooting portion is a bit strange and in third person. I find myself always pulling the left trigger, thanks to Call of Duty. As for the graphics, they aren't bad, but they leave a lot to be desired. Achievements are very easy to get. There are many secret achievements which are all for completing levels and finding passports(this game's version of the collectible you need to hunt down). The rest are all for takedowns, headshots, and things of the sort.

Overall, I would give the game a 6.5/10. It's nothing you should buy, but it will keep you occupied for a few days and boost your gamerscore. I recommend renting it, just for the hell of it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Football games are all the same. And then go on to talk about Guitar Hero 5. :|

And the differences between actually playing football games consistently is quite large. Little tweaks done to the dribbling has created a huge difference already.