What's new

The Games we play...

spicy

Giga Poster
Was anyone else a huge fan of The Godfather?

Godfather 2 comes out on Friday and I literally can't wait. Im counting down the hours :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
At last - something good about the DSi! Make it out og Lego and it looks less blocky :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YipUNKP3X4w[/youtube]

[/thinks the DSi is a waste post]

mrclam

Giga Poster
Actually im growing to like the DSi.

More memory, double the speed, camera, ability to download games..

Just needs to be 50 quid cheaper

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:

This will help improve NSMB, Mario Kart, Cooking Mama, Brain Training, etc, etc, etc in what way?

Or are Nintendo going to release DSi only versions which take advantage? Which then leaves them with a disparate software catalogue for the same system? Causing confusion and anger at the tills as Auntie Jane buys the latest DS game for little Jonny, not realising he has a DS Lite, not a DSi.

Downloadable games is the only advantage I can see, but Nintendo have said they're not putting Virtual Console on it, so it's only going to be new stuff much like Wiiware. While there are some blindingly good Wiiware games, most are dross.

Plus, as you say, the system is too expensive. It's more than the PSP which is much shinier :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Ollie, did I miss your post last month about when the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan?

I must have just over looked it, because I'm sure you'd make sure that you report things in a very balanced manner :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^I'm glad you notice that I try to be as un-biased as I can. Don't want to be considered a fanboi or anything do I? :D

kimahri

CF Legend
<3

edit:- oh yeah, I got to round 15 on Verruckt <3. Which is surprising since only one person got a raygun till the very end. Most of the time we were stuck with the MP40, MG and betties. Which surprisingly works!

Homer

Hyper Poster
I've been playing romhacks lately out of boredom and saving money.

I'll just say Sonic 1 Megamix is better than anything Sega has done with their hedgehog in the past 14 years.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Ollie said:

I think you have to look at the fact that perhaps the majority of Japan (well, those actually interested in gaming) are now owners of a Wii.

A typical games console fan is only going to buy the machine once and thus the market demand will have always had an expected limit. It's now just coming to the point where anyone who wanted a Wii now has one and therefore sales start to fall.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
PS3 outsells Wii in Japan... HURRAY! :D

Why the "hurray"? Exactly?

I get confused as to why people care.

But as you do care.. The wii balance board outsold the ps3 worldwide last week HURRAY!

And the DSi is the fastest selling console ever in england.. HURRAY!

(I dont care.. but i know you do...)

mrclam

Giga Poster
Personally I might buy a dsi to replace my original fat ds.. but that said, i may just take advantage of people selling the lite for cheap online now there's a new model out...

furie said:
mrclam said:

This will help improve NSMB, Mario Kart, Cooking Mama, Brain Training, etc, etc, etc in what way?

None at all

Or are Nintendo going to release DSi only versions which take advantage? Which then leaves them with a disparate software catalogue for the same system? Causing confusion and anger at the tills as Auntie Jane buys the latest DS game for little Jonny, not realising he has a DS Lite, not a DSi.

There will be 2 things:

1. Games with extra features for owners of the dsi (i.e. ability to download extras, camera additions and stuff). Games could check to see if they're in the DSi and add extra graphics and stuff using the extra memory and processing power.

2. Games which are designed only to work on dsi. Warioware camera thingy (cant remember name) being the first. Depending on the uptake - i'll imagine we'll start seeing games utilise the extra power/memory within a year.

Remember that all downloadable games will by default be DSi only - so they can all make use of the extra power/memory.. And (in theory) they could even be superior to the shop-bought games.

Nintendo seem to be following the Apple marketting model of bringing out new versions with extra features in regularly. People upgrade their ipods regularly to get the extra toys and gadgets and stuff - just like people will take this upgrade.

I can see them doing the same with the wii. I have no evidence for this. And this is pure speculation on my behalf - but i reacon they'll bring out "upgraded" wii hardware with motionplus built in and maybe with an improved graphics card to backwards support hi-def... Not really a "wii 2" just a "wii upgrade" like the dsi is.

So.. sticking with DSi.. that'd be "Wiii" i guess..

Downloadable games is the only advantage I can see, but Nintendo have said they're not putting Virtual Console on it, so it's only going to be new stuff much like Wiiware. While there are some blindingly good Wiiware games, most are dross.

Id put money on there being a virtual console type thing by the end of the year... Not much (money) .. but some...

Besides.. the public has spoken.. they've all rushed out in droves and bought it this weekend.

Plus, as you say, the system is too expensive. It's more than the PSP which is much shinier :p

Yeah.. but the psp sucks balls for games... None of the cool kids have one :lol:

(just for ollie) .. just like the ps3 in fact.. :lol: :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
LocoRoco 1&2 are made of epic win. It's quirky and new games like that and Patapon that I like. It's takes games back to just simple addictive gameplay and gives people something new to play other than the same old FPS and Driving games.
Nothing has come out so far to make me feel the need to get a PSP yet though. I want to play the full games of LocoRoco and Patapon but don't want to buy a whole new console just for two games.