What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's the best way I could think of summing it up.

Unless Kim has found it personally and played it and liked it - it's got to be unworthy of his attention, and unworthy of attention by anyone.

I won't even bother mentioning the PSP version of Kingdom Hearts that was announced :roll:

kimahri

CF Legend
I knew about Birth by Sleep ages ago.

And Coded on mobile.

and 358/2 days on DS.

And Dissidia.

And I know about Final Fantasy XIII Agito being changed from Mobile to PSP.

And I've never played Panzer Dragoon Saga.

But I want to. I would emulate it but this time my computer can't actually handle the emulators.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrEakRSfSk[/youtube]

I can't work out which is MrClam, or if he's actually both in some kind of horrid time paradox...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Another bit of good news for Ollie :roll:

Killzone 2 has outsold Halo Wars by a ratio of 3 to 1!

I think though that the saddest fact here is that Killzone 2 suffers from exactly the issues all the PS3 owners claimed made Halo 3 a crap buy and not worthy of why people should buy a 360. Conversely, Halo Wars is a step in a new direction for the series, and an attempt to put those people down saying it's just selling as another Halo game. It is, but it's a different Halo game... Personal opinions on Halo Wars are so far good.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Could 2009 finally be the year of the PSP???

It looks like somebody (at Sony) has finally started to take note of the fact that over 50 million have been sold, yet there's less than a handful of games worth playing on it.

Well the psp is suffering from the same problem as the wii.. And spookily like that video you just posted

People in power look at marketing data and say "right.. we've only released crap games for the system.. and none of them are selling.. that MUST mean that games dont sell on the system.. So there's no point investing any money in making games for said system - as they wont sell.. "

So they'll put their most jnr members of staff on the project for a short development time make a crppy mini-game fest (or other crp) which doesnt sell.. which "proves" games dont sell well on the system.. and they wont bother again.

So it's up to the platform manufacturer to make good games for the system.. which then go on to sell really well.. but marketing will come back and say "well that proves that only first party nintendo/sony (delete as appropriate) games sell well on that system - 3rd party games wont sell.. lets go and make another fps game for the 360 and ps3 - as we have marketting data proof they sell"

(game goes on to bomb) "bottoms dropped out of the fps market!!! We noticed <genre> is selling well now"

... But then you look to see how well bore fests like killzone 2 and halo 3 sell.. and the marketing men are probably right...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dungeon Master - Java!

FREE downloadable Java version of the Amiga and ST classic, Dungeon Master.

Such a hard game, yet utterly brilliant. It still holds up as a tense, tight, and enjoyable game.

One of THE highlights of the late 80's, available to you all, for free:
http://homepage.mac.com/aberfield/dmj/

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
FREE downloadable Java version of the Amiga and ST classic, Dungeon Master.

Cheers for that (dont understand why it wont run in the browser though as it's java?)

The game i made which got me my first job in the industry at age of 16 was an fps game made with dungeon master graphics/controls..

(bad guys juddered onto screen, you used mouse to select where to shoot them.. it was crp.. but years ahead of its time :--D )

Unfortunately the company (Dagger) went bankrupt about 4 months after i joined.. so i went to college instead and met furie.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
Unfortunately the company (Dagger) went bankrupt about 4 months after i joined.. so i went to college instead and met furie.

I don't think the misfortune was yours :p

I downloaded the demo of the PSN/XBLA Watchmen game last night. It was fun for about five minutes, then you could see tedium setting in. Just very lazy level design. Shame because it looks good (for a budget game), and has a fairly decent basic engine in there. It's just nothing more than "walk in room, beat people up, walk in new room, beat more people up, walk upstairs, pull lever to open a door to allow in more people to beat up". :roll:

Don't buy it.

Steven

Giga Poster
Really getting my teeth into Gears of wars last night. 2 hours went by too quickly. Now I want more chainsaw lancer death! It is fantastic. See what PS3 people are missing out on now.
Also Killzone never really appealled to me since the first one. Halo has done a bold move but by doing that bold move it will sell slower. But it refreshes game play and gives halo 3 a boost on replay value for 5 pounds extra.

kimahri

CF Legend
^ I was playing Golden Axe with my friend in game the other day on that!

And Killer7 got even more WTF. A talking decapitated head gave me a ring that sets things on fire.

It's actually quite difficult as well.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For the last fortnight, me and my mate have swapped consoles. I have his xbox360 and he has my Wii.

I put on the Xbox twice and played a few minute of Halo3 and then got bored. I tried some of the other games but they all seem to be men in robotic suits shotting similar beings. It's really dull.

For the last week, the only game the xbox has seen is Gathering Dust.

But w00t, tonight is retro games night, N64 here I come!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kebab said:
Sega Megadrive Ultimate collection FTW!
Worth buying for Fantasy Zone itself. :p

I've got it for the PSP - it reminds me why Sega suck (the PSP and PS3 versions are the same except for one is "high def" - woo).

Maxi-Minor_Furie likes Sonic though, and it's so rubbish it's worthless even as a trade-in.

Ian, sounds about right. To be fair, the PS3 was the same until Flower and Noby Noby Boy came out :)

It's odd that the PS3 has those quirky, fun, pointless games that Nintendo seemed to dominate the market with.

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
Kebab said:
Sega Megadrive Ultimate collection FTW!
Worth buying for Fantasy Zone itself. :p

I've got it for the PSP - it reminds me why Sega suck (the PSP and PS3 versions are the same except for one is "high def" - woo).

You cant get it on PSP though? Cos I wanted it on PSP and Gamestation told me its only on 360 and PS3. They don't do it on PSP on Amazon either, this one here-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... ames&img=3

I got it on PS3 but wanted on PSP.

Anyways im totally hooked on Halo Wars at the moment. I know everyone says Halo sucks blah blah but this is awesome. I am a fan of RTS's though, if you don't like them then it wouldn't be for you, if you do then I highly recommend.