What's new

The B&M Thread

I posted this before in another topic, but I think it'll fit in nicely here. It's B&M giving birth to diamondback

NPNBMS1.jpg

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... esent.html

Re: The B&M Thread

It seems as though people that prefer ejector think B&M are lame. Ejector is fun, but it is over too quickly and while it does give you a quick, brief scare, I honestly feel it doesnt stand up to properly done floater.

Switching between the hideouts'...

I love ejector, but I really enjoy floater too. There's something really nice about a gentle freefall. It does it for me. So B&M do it for me - certainly Nitro and Apollo's Chariot. The only rides of theirs that fail for me are the floorless coasters. They're a bit bland, but I'd still rather ride one of those than a Pinfari Looper, or an X-Car or another bloody Eurofighter.

Their B&M hypers are decent but from my experience (Nitro & Raging Bull) are largely let down by their trims! On Raging Bull the first, main airtime hill is badly trimmed it barely provides even decent floater. The hill after the MCBR is much better and provides a nice pop of sustained floater. Same with Nitro the airtime just seems so weak on allot of the hills. I still like both rides but god, turning down the trims or a bit more sustained/ stronger airtime would be soo much better. Behemoth and Diamondback look better though and seem to have gotten better reviews than some of the older ones so heres hoping for Port Aventura :D .

I am a fan of B & M , but I am concerned about Diamondback at Kings Island. It doesn't have seat belts as a failsafe, which wouldn't bother me except that the only other comparable coaster I've been on is Apollo's Chariot (which does have seatbelts) and the lap bar did come loose one me once during the ride. It scared me at the moment, but after grabbing the bar and my wife it immediately relocked. Afterwards I didn't give it a second thought because the seatbelt was still there and I have been on it many times since. But during my recent trip to Kings Island the lack of seatbelt bothered me and made it harder for me to enjoy the ride. I do know that those kinds of accidents are rare and I will ride it again, but does the Diamondback have another fail safe in the lapbar mechanism?

Like I said it won't keep me off of the ride...Ill just go in with the "Lightning does strike twice" philosophy, but Im still curious.

BGW is my current home park, and I'm 100% sure that AC doesn't have seat belts.
I sincerely doubt that the bar became unlocked during your ride. I worked Raging Bull (identical trains) for a year and learned that there is more than one pawl engaging the teeth in the locking mechanism. Even if one somehow failed, the bar wouldn't move with the other teeth still in place. Those teeth were the #1 thing inspected every morning, and if one was broken, it was replaced before the train was put in service.

Hmm Maybe I was just convincing myself it had seatbelts so I would get back on it. With the bar I sucked in my gut and I think it partially grabbed the next tooth and the pressure pushed it past to the previous one, but it still was scary at the moment. I figured there might be more than one grip on the teeth and that the answer I was looking for. Thanks!!

^ you're addressing the T-shaped clamshell harness present on all B&M Mega coasters (ie AC, RB, Nitro, D-Back, etc). None of them have seatbelts, rather they all have only the T-shaped clamshell harness.

Instead of seeing B&M go for a Giga, I'd like to see them go for a Mega-Lite esque design. I think they would do a really good job on doing something smaller like a Mega-Lite.

I feel that B&M has plenty of know-how, but no actual desire to do so.

And don't B&M hypers have hydraulic restraints, not actual ratcheting restraints?

I didn't mean they don't have the technical skills to do it.. just that the ride would suck if they did.. especially with the soft designs they've been pumping out lately.

I guess I should have said they could do a good job, rather than would. I think it would have potential.

I guess I was thinking with a smaller, more compact layout the elements wouldn't be as drawn out and might be more intense. But I guess it does have potential to suck too...just on a smaller, slower, scale.

Probably wouldn't have ejector either, more like floater/airtime that the usual B&M's have. Which I guess wouldn't be bad as long as they keep it interesting..

There is something I've been wondering. If B'n'M's new wingrider is getting poplar among parks, whys it not featured on their site :?:

^ I've always found their website to be fairly ****, and it isn't updated often.

Maybe it's because most companies know about their products and they don't go to their website to "order" them. They talk to them directly.

But I agree with you, I think it should be featured.

dropthefloor93 said:
The B&M wingrider just got **** on by Intamin's new hyper.

How so?

They're completely different rides, Skyrush is essentially a floorless coaster with the inside seats floored. It has absolutely no resemblance to the Wingrider at all and built for height and speed which is something which the Wingriders aren't focusing on. What you've just said is completely illogical.

If anything, B&M Wingriders have completely screwed over the Intamin one[strike]s[/strike]. How many more coasters like Furius Baco have we seen? Yet B&M are looking at building their third one next year. From what I've heard at the moment, there's far more positive reviews for Raptor than there are for Baco.