What's new

The B&M Thread

Re: The B&M Thread

Which B&M is 261 and why isnt it listed on RCDB? The tallest B&M i found was Intimidator and Diamkndback at 232 basically....

I REALLY wanna see a strata coaster that isn't launched. Especially something like a dive machine... holy crap that would be terrifying. But I think a Giga coaster is enough for them... I want that first drop to be just insane... no curvy pre drop crap neither, I love that plank section on Apollos chariot before the drop.

I think the hallmark of B&M is to build a practical sized ride within certain size constraints to make the ride re-rideabe, and enjoyable each time. I think we've all been on a ride that eventually gets to the point of it feeling like it drags on and on and on, and the manufacturer just added the extra length to kill off speed. Steel Dragon 2000 I think is a great example of a ride that appears to drive on.

I also believe that B&M won't even touch the concept of a launched ride, simply because of the reliability involved with the ride. B&M + unreliability =/= B&M.

tomahawKSU said:
On Tatsu's if you are in the back, pretty much from the entrance to the exit you can't move, 6G's at the bottom of it, yeah not intense my ass.

Front seat. Holy sh***********************************t. That is all.

I would love to see more rides like Steel Dragon 2000. I really hate that cable lift s**t on Milf.
If B&M just improved on Steel Dragon 2000, they'd have a surefire amazing ride.

B&M dosn't NEED a giga. Size and speed don't necessarily make the ride. B&M isn't Intamin, they don't break records with unreliable rides. I can't say I've loved every B&M I've ridden (liked everything but the 2 hypers), but the majority are great rides. B&M is damn good at what they do and they don't need to change anything.

It's also this thing called money, and for a giga B&M you are probably looking close to $35,000,000 or more. Not feasible. And cable lift cuts that cost down.

dropthefloor93 said:
I REALLY wanna see a strata coaster that isn't launched. Especially something like a dive machine... holy crap that would be terrifying. But I think a Giga coaster is enough for them... I want that first drop to be just insane... no curvy pre drop crap neither, I love that plank section on Apollos chariot before the drop.
At first I thought it was a silly idea, but then I imagined a dive machine going up an alevator lift instead of a traditional lift hill. That way it would save both space and money. Still would be very expensive and most unlikely, but it would be really awesome if ever built!

dropthefloor93 said:
I would love to see more rides like Steel Dragon 2000. I really hate that cable lift s**t on Milf.
Agreed. I think the cable lifts are too fast and takes away some of the excitement of slowly being pulled upp the lift hill. I think the main reason to why Intamin uses cable lifts on their megas/gigas is to increas capacity. Intamin doesn't use a mid-course brake like B&M and therefore they need the train to pass the whole course before they can send out a new one.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Nothing wrong with B&M going for more graceful rides... I'd much rather have a smooth re-rideable ride than be bashed about and never want to set foot on said ride again...

Besides, they made the pretzel loop, so that's bull... So go on Tatsu (and Manta I guess, not been on it) and tell me they don't make intense elements...

Who said anything about wanting a rough ride? I just want them to make something intense that takes elements at SPEED as per Nemesis. Nemesis Inferno is a testament to them toning rides down since, as it's frankly lacklustre in comparison.

*IF* all these wingriders are going to be as gentle as Air then they're nothing more than a gimmick.

Re: Re: The B&M Thread

tomahawKSU said:
It's also this thing called money, and for a giga B&M you are probably looking close to $35,000,000 or more. Not feasible. And cable lift cuts that cost down.

Im pretty sure one of the busy CF and SF parks could afford it. I would suggest Cedar Point as the main one but they dont really have to room to do this (they spent 25mil on dragster and I cant find a number on Maverick). KBF could do this if they stick with a ride along the edges of the park. Hell, if KI gets rid of SoB they could probably do it there and use the terrain to help cut down on cost a bit. Only really busy SF park i know of is MM, and they dont look to have a lot of room left tbh (could be wrong though).

I would like to see B&M do it one day, but not immediately. The use of terrain would cut back some cost for it, as would using a different style lift system. Throw in an interesting layout and I can see a very enjoyable ride that people would love.

Will it happen? Maybe not anytime soon, but they may come around and surprise us by taking a chance. For now, they will continue to do what they do best.

When Raptor (Gardaland) was being constructed, there were rumours it would be launched and would be called X-Raptor.

This ride looks like a gentle gimmick.

Now I believe (even though they sure as hell do not have the money) Lake Compounce could find the space to expand. They have a massive amount of space available from unused parkinglots.

I could see SFMM doing it if they took use of the land behind the park, and I could certainly see one being put up in Vegas. Gigas do not take up as much space as you'd think judging by the footprint of i305, though we would have to tack on a larger footprint because of those horrid forceless drops that have huge upcurves.

A B&M giga would have a HUGE footprint. I read that the lift hill angle on I305 is 45* (to me, it looks greater than that, but I'm going to go with what I read). Which would make the lift about 424 feet, and would take up about 300 feet of space in the park. A B&M giga with a chain lift would have a 27* lift hill angle (again, correct me if I'm wrong). This means that the lift hill to get to 300 feet would take 660 feet of track for the lift and take up 590 feet in the park. And this is just for the lift! Not including the station or the drop segment or any pre-lift segments, just the ride from the ground to the top.

That being said; look at the other B&M hypers out there which have drawn out elements to give the floater air they are famous for. With a giga these would be even more drawn out to account for the higher speeds. The footprint would be massive.

I know I305 has a "compact" layout for a giga, but that is Intamin. They have their styles, and B&M has theirs.

^ You mean something like this??

3l763gmn0liv02c9095800.jpg

Look at the lift hill length of Steel Force ^ or even better if i can snag a photo of Magnum. Magnum's footprint is just massive. With a lift hill that long, if B&M made it just a bit steeper, they could easily hit giga or strata status. Given the footprints of the Morgan rides like SF and SD2000, I really don't think a footprint will matter much.

Especially since the footprint of Son of Beast. That thing was f**** huge!

^ Nope that is the might Steel Dragon 2000 not Steel Force...

And saying that it's massive is an understatement :p

So then it is easily doable. If you think about it a 300 foot lift hill isnt far off from what they've done so far.

But the idea of a strata coaster dive machine... is just insane. especially if it has a subterranean dive. give it some camelbacks and giant helixes, and some other huge drops.... you have yourself a ridiculous rollercoaster.

Im just not a big fan of B&M's swooping drops, they are too big for their height. If they incorporated their styles into a giga or strata coaster, it would just be awesome.

But just a B&M mega coaster style at Strata height, with that dinky little lap bar thing, is just... too awesome. I really hope too see a giga or strat come out soon. Its far from Impossible.

dropthefloor93 said:
So then it is easily doable. If you think about it a 300 foot lift hill isnt far off from what they've done so far.

But the idea of a strata coaster dive machine... is just insane. especially if it has a subterranean dive. give it some camelbacks and giant helixes, and some other huge drops.... you have yourself a ridiculous rollercoaster.

Im just not a big fan of B&M's swooping drops, they are too big for their height. If they incorporated their styles into a giga or strata coaster, it would just be awesome.

But just a B&M mega coaster style at Strata height, with that dinky little lap bar thing, is just... too awesome. I really hope too see a giga or strat come out soon. Its far from Impossible.

I'm gonna have to kill your idea a bit with the strata dive machine. That would be nothing but death to the train and track due to how the car is. Leave the strata to Intamin (especially since they only built 2 and upgraded Superman at SFMM into one). Giga is something that will more or less likely be more plausible and doable on their end. As to the whole lift hill angle on B&Ms...not ALL of them are at a low angle. They could very well use a steeper angle if need be, they've done it before, they can do it again. Footprint doesn't seem to be an issue either. As I suggested before, if KI tears down SoB, they could easily use that area to achieve it. Copy the station and lift area from SoB, build it slight steeper, and add about 40 ft to its height. After you hit the top, do its little drop down section followed by a massive swooping turn into a tunnel that has the needed 50+ extra feet to properly do this, and follow it with an innovative layout and that alone would be amazing to ride and see. Top of hills would only be visible with the rest of it hiding and lurking within the trees. Name could be Son of Beast: Reborn or something less gay and retarded.

Well then a normal Strata with a lift hill would still be quite epic. I really hate the stupid launches, it really kills the height for me.

Strata and giga are just words. They have nothing to do with the intensity or quality of the rides. The most intense coasters I've been on are well under 300 feet. Look at El Toro, or Bizzaro and other rides that are consistently in people's top 5's. Height and speed can only get you so far...