What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

I happened to be looking on SFOT's Texas Giant construction page (http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx) and happened to come across this picture showing off the "modern electromagnetic brakes".

texasgiant_Dec1_ElectroMagneticBrake.gif

Well I guess those are the brakes. Thoughts?

I'm fairly sure that the brakes that will actually 'stop' the train on the break run won't be electromagnetic. The ones on transfer track and in the station maybe, but they couldn't risk a power-cut meaning the trains can't be stopped.

I'm adding to the overload of want.

I'm also looking forward to Barack Obama losing the next election so the exchange rate can go in my favour before I ride this.

Oh my- woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I'm speechless.

RCF said:
I happened to be looking on SFOT's Texas Giant construction page (http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx) and happened to come across this picture showing off the "modern electromagnetic brakes".

texasgiant_Dec1_ElectroMagneticBrake.gif

Well I guess those are the brakes. Thoughts?

Just your regular run of the mill magnetic brakes. Electromagnets can work, because they would build in more than enough redundancies to prevent failure during power outage, HOWEVER it's probably cheaper and easier to just use a fixed magnet.

Sorry for the DP but here's some pictures (nothing really new) but there's still a ton of work to be done. (credit to Chadster from TPR)

sfot_1.jpg

Top of lift being worked on. I'm guessing the chain
sfot_1_1.jpg

Still some work on the lift
sfot_1_2.jpg

We're gonna be seeing this shot a lot real soon
sfot_1_3.jpg

Back of the 112* bank
sfot_1_4.jpg

Front of 112* bank
sfot_1_5.jpg

As you can see towards the middle part of the track there's still some realigning to do
sfot_1_7.jpg

Lift area
sfot_1_8.jpg

Railings installed on the transfer track but no railings in bays 1 & 3
sfot_1_10.jpg

New air gates being installed

RCF said:
Sorry for the DP but here's some pictures (nothing really new) but there's still a ton of work to be done.

I'm really honored that you enjoy my pictures and you may use them at anytime, however, if you would be so kind to give credit to myself and TPR when using them, that would be fantastic. I don't watermark them on purpose so as not to take away from the beauty of the ride, and I don't really want to start. Thanks!

Yeah everyone was talking bout that. I'm guessing it's to put more focus on the train and not so much something in the background. Or maybe there's something we're not supposed to see in the background

Looks like the Posterize filter to me.