What's new

Tennis Topic

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
It's time for the first tennis Grand Slam of the year!

My tennis topics aren't usually the most popular here but I love tennis. Instead of posting several topics through the year I thought (well, nealbie thought) making one thread would be sufficient for tennis news, and we can keep it going through the year! Post your thoughts on match outcomes etc here.

Here's the top stories from Day 1:

British female hopefuls, Laura Robson and Heather Watson are already out (Robson defeated in straight sets 6-3 6-0 by Belgian 18th seed Kirsten Flipkens and Watson defeated in three sets 7-5 3-6 6-3 by Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova) so not a great start there.

Britain's Andy Murray, and world number 4, will begin his campaign 8am GMT on Tuesday 14th where he will face Go Soeda, the world no. 140 so hopefully no troubles there.

Novak Djokovic got his defending of his title off to a good, firm start by defeating Lukáš Lacko 6-3 7(7)-6(2) 6-1

World number one, Rafael Nadal get's his campaign started at the same time as Murray where he will be playing current world number 60, Bernard Tomic.

I'll post daily(ish) updates on what's happening because I know at least some of you are interested.

Casio

Mega Poster
Re: Australian Open 2014

I'm a huge tennis fan too! Robson was embarrassing; I know she's been injured but there's no way someone with as good a serve as she has should lose sets 6-0. Djokovic looked very sharp considering he hasn't played much; he's clear tournament favourite for me.

I think both Murray and Fed are way off their best, so it'll be really interesting to see if they play in the quarters, although neither of them will stand a chance against Nadal in the semis. I think it'll be a predictable Djoko-Nadal final, but I'd love to see Tomic or Hewitt give Nadal a good run for his money. It should be a great tournament!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Yeah, I thought Robson's serve was much improved since Wimbledon. For me, I think Nadal will win, he is just blasting everyone (especially after today's early end, he'll have plenty of stored energy still to use). Murray is off his best but he is coming back, he's still got a good 5 years decent tennis left in him (fingers crossed anyway). As for Federer he is simply getting too old now. He's what? 32? It all started, I suppose, at Wimbledon last summer (and I was in centre court for that very match). It is sad to see him deteriorate but it's time to give others a go ;)

As for Hewitt or Tomic giving Nadal a run for his money...Tomic retired and Hewitt is gone :p but it would have been nice to see.

Anyway, here's the top news from Day 2:

Day 2 has seen stifling heat from Melbourne. A ball boy collapsed as temperatures soared to 43C (110F).

Andy Murray is comfortably through to round 2 after defeating Go Soeda 6-1 6-1 6-3.

World number 1, Rafael Nadal is also through to round 2 after Bernard Tomic retired from the match with a groin injury after losing the first set. Nadal won 6-4.

World number 6, Roger Federer is through to round 2 as his campaign for his 5th Australian Open title got underway, he defeated Australian James Duckworth in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-2.

Defending women's champion, Victoria Azarenka got her defence underway today defeating Johanna Larsson in straight sets, 7(7)-6(2) 6-2.

10th seed, Jo Wilfred Tsonga is also through after defeating Filippo Volandri 7-5 6-3 6-3.

Number 3 seed Maria Sharapova has defeated Bethanie-Matteck Sands in straight sets 6-3 6-4. Matteck Sands played excellently though, gave Sharapova some problems.

Also the Eurosport coverage is annoying me. They keep cutting for ad breaks and by the time they 'return to the action' you've missed the first two points of a game which is annoying. They do the same when taking you around Melbourne Park to look at other results. Burden.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

News from day 3!:

Melbourne sweated through it's hottest January day for 17 years last night with temperatures not dropping below 32C!

Defending champion, Novak Djokovic made it though to round three without a hitch defeating Leonardo Mayer in straight sets, 6-0 6-4 6-4.

World number 1, Serena Williams defeated Vesna Dolonc, who made 8 double faults in straight sets 6-1 6-2. Williams has now won 60 matches at the Australian Open equalling Margaret Court's 60 matches won. Progressing to the 4th round will overtake Court's feat.

World number 3, David Ferrer made light(ish) work of Adrian Mannarino. The Spainard won the first set 7(7)-6(2) but the Frenchman won the second set 5-7. Ferrer went on to win the next two sets 6-0 6-3 to go on to the third round.

Unseeded Florian Mayer made the biggest upset of the day by knocking Mikhail Youzhny out of the championships in five sets 6-4 3-6 6-3 3-6 6-3, a match lasting

Fourth seed Li Na defeated Belinda Bencic 6-0 7(7)-6(5) to take her to the 3rd round.

Former Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz made short work of Pablo Andujar by defeating him in four sets 4-6 7(7)-6(3) 7(7)-6(5) 6-3. To celebrate, Janowicz ripped off his t-shirt and gave it to some fans in the crowd.

Up tomorrow in the second round Andy Murray will face qualifier Vincent Millot. The two have never met before. Rafael Nadal will play 17 year old Thanasi Kokkinakis and Roger Federer will be up against Slovenia's Blaz Kakvic.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Murray's performance was stunning. Obviously it's easier to look good against poor opposistion but he was clinical, brutal. Watch a tape of him playing even three or four years ago and the difference in his aggression and dictation of points is startling. He'll make it to the semi's easily on that showing.

Think it's safe to say however that Murray, Djokovic and Nadal will be sweeping up the slams for at least the next 18 months and probably longer, nobody in the 'nearly' bracket seems to be developing further.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I thought that. I am now watching him against Millot and, although is clearly the better player, he is just not playing as exceptionally as he was on Tuesday, it's not something to get concerned about just yet though.

Have some news from day 4:

Day 4 was a day which saw more sweltering heat, 43C. This saw all play on outside courts being postponed due to the Extreme Heat Policy. Roofs were closed on Rod Laver Arena and Hisense Arena. Once the Heat Policy was lifted, thunderstorms hit Melbourne halting play further. It was after sundown before play resumed again. It's going to be a late night in Melbourne for some!

Third seed Maria Sharapova is through to the 3rd round after defeating Karin Knapp. The Russian won the first set without a hitch 6-3 but the Italian came back to take the second set 4-6 meaning there had to be a decider. Sharapova finally pulled through taking it 10-8. I watched the first two sets and Sharapova seemed to make a LOT of silly mistakes, this is going to affect how far she progresses in this tournament unless she sorts it out.

Second seed, Victoria Azarenka is also through to the third round after defeating the world number 83, Barbora Zahlavova Strycova in straight sets 6-1 6-4.

World number one, Rafael Nadal is through after an easy win against 17 year old Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis. Nadal took the match in straight sets, 6-2 6-4 6-2. Kokkinakis was the lowest ranked player in the tournament at rank 570.

Former world number one, Roger Federer is also through to the third round after defeating Blaz Kavcic in straight sets 6-2 6-1 7(7)-6(4).

In men's doubles, Brit Jamie Murray and Aus John Peers progressed to the second round after defeating Matt Reid and former Wimbledon junior champion, Luke Saville in straight sets 7(7)-6(4) 7(8)-6(6).

Wimbledon champion, Andy Murray defeated France's Vincent Millot in straight sets but that nearly wasn't the case. He won the first two sets 6-2 6- 2. The third Millot got to 1-5 and had two set points. The Brit fought back hard to win 24 consecutive points to win the third set 7-5. Excellent tennis.

He is showing signs of pain in his back which is a worry but he should pull through. Murray has won against more French players than players from any other nation.

Major upset news! The biggest upset of the day comes from Roberto Bautista Agut. He defeated Juan Martin del Potro in an epic 5 set thriller 4-6 6-3 5-7 6-4 7-5. It started on day 4 but finished on day 5 as it's currently 1:15am in Australia. Excellent work.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Was following it on Twitter/BBC at work, when he was 5-1 down Neil Harman tweeted that a fist-pump from Mallot might have just pissed Murray off; he won the next 23 points to win it rofl.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I couldn't believe it, I'd never seen anything like it, absolutely amazing.

Might as well edit in day 5 into this post to prevent spammage ;)

Here's the news from Day 5

Temperatures at the start of day began at 108F (42C) but gradually dropped to a much more reasonable 74F (24C) by the end of play. Temperatures are forecast to stay around the 25C mark for the rest of the weekend.

Defending champion and world no. 2 Novak Djokovic was in action today against Denis Istomin. The Serb didn't falter once as he took the match in straight sets 6-3 6-3 7-5.

Women's defending champion, Serena Williams also made it through to the fourth round with her straight sets win against Daniela Hantuchova 6-3 6-3.

No. 3 seed, David Ferrer made light work of Frenchman Jeremy Chardy defeating him in straight sets to give him a one way ticket to the final 16 6-2 7(7)-6(5) 6-2. Ferrer only scored 2 aces against his opponent compared to Chardy's 8 but it wasn't enough to see him through.

The only men's singles 5 set match of the day came curtesy of South African Kevin Anderson and Frenchman Edouard Roger-Vasselin. Anderson came through after losing the first to sets to win 3-6 4-6 6-3 7(7)-6(5) 7-5.

Jerzy Janowicz is out following a shock defeat by unseeded Florian Mayer. The German defeated the Pole in straight sets, 7-5 6-2 6-2.

World no. 4, Na Li nearly suffered a shock defeat against Lucie Safarova after she lost the first set. Li overcame a match point from her opponent to take the match 1-6 7(7)-6(2) 6-3.

The Men's doubles number one, USA's Bob and Mike Brian defeated Britain's former Wimbledon men's double champion Jonathan Marray and Paul Hanely in straight sets 6-4 7(7)-6(3).

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
News from Day 6 right here:

The heat was much more bearable today, hovering around the 23C mark (73F).

The first Brits of the day came in the men's doubles. Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins were up against Indo-Pakistan players Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi. The Brits won the first set comfortably 4-6 but lost the next two sets 6-3 6-2 to allow the Indo-Pakistan players progress.

British number one, Andy Murray was also in action. He showed no sign of pain from his recent back surgery as he blitzed passed his third round opponent Feliciano Lopez, in straight sets 7(7)-6(2) 6-4 6-2 to the final 16. Murray will play lucky loser Stephane Robert in the fourth round. This is the first time a lucky loser has made it to the final 16 of a grand slam.

Former Australian Open champion, Roger Federer also made light work of his opponent Teymuraz Gabashvili by defeating him in straight sets 6-2 6-2 6-3. Don't wipe Federer out just yet, just when you think he must be slowing down he has shown signs of real flare so far this tournament.

World number 3 Maria Sharapova came through in straight sets, despite a few hiccups in her match against Alize Cornet 6-1 7(8)-6(6). Cornet put up an excellent fight against the former Australian Open champion but was no match.

World number one, Rafael Nadal defeated Frenchman Gael Monfils in straight sets 6-1 6-2 6-3. Up next for Nadal is Japan's Kei Nishikori who won 17 of the last 18 games in beating Donald Young 7-5 6-1 6-0.

Round 4 in the men's singles up tomorrow!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Novak Djokovic, three times defending champion at the Australian Open is OUT. Defeated in an epic 5 set thriller by Stanislas Wawrinka 2-6 6-4 6-2 3-6 9-7

Smithy

Strata Poster
STAN **** WAWRINKA

Both he and Berdych have been the ones most likely to break the top four monopoly recently, Del Potro is inconsistent, Tsonga just doesn't have the game to go the whole way and Ferrer is just a moving brick wall. Glad one of them will make the final, I'm hoping for Berdych because his Twitter is hilarious.

Murray Federer will be a stunner tomorrow.

Casio

Mega Poster
^Nahhhh man, prior to this tournament Berdych was in terrible form; he didn't win a tournament last year and was the only guy in the top 8 not to reach a slam semifinal. I didn't see much of the match yesterday, but it did seem like he played well, but he's really just taken advantage of the David Ferrer sweepstake. Now I've said that he'll probably go and beat Wawrinka :lol: Hopefully Stan can recover in time

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Murray Federer. It's gonna be great. 8am GMT, can't wait.

I think Murray will win which is most likely going to set up a Nadal Murray semi...I just can't see Murray doing it. I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion Nadal is now the one to beat.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Balls. Valiant effort from a clearly struggling Murray but Federer was absolutely brilliant.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yeah. Federer is almost back to his old self if you ask me and I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Nadal. If he plays like he did today, Nadal had better be worried.

I really want Federer to win now. An 18th major is something no one expected from Federer since his early exit from Wimbledon last year. I plan to watch tomorrow night.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
We're getting into the final stages of the first Grand Slam of the year.

Tomorrow sees the woman's doubles final between Italy's Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci and Russia's Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.

There's the junior boy's final between France's Quentin Halys and Johan Sebastien Tatlot and Austria's Lucas Miedler and Bradley Mousley.

There's the wheelchair finals in all competition.

The biggest game of the tournament is also on it's way. World number one Rafael Nadal against, who is quite possibly the greatest tennis player who has ever lived, Roger Federer battle it out for a place in Sunday's final. If Nadal wins it will be his second straight grand slam win, if Federer wins it will end an 18 month major title and be his 18th major title.

The winner of the above will play Stanislas Wawrinka in his first ever grand slam final. Will it be the first time in Grand Slam history two Swiss players have played in the final? My money's on Nadal but I WANT Federer to win purely because he is the underdog and no one, no one in their wildest dreams thought he would win another major.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Disagree to be honest, I reckon they'd gone as far as they could together. Murray brought Lendl in to help him win his first slam and he's now won two. Needs to take the next step and work with a coach who improves his physical game as I feel Lendl was more about the mental side of it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yeah I can see that, but I think at least keep Lendl until he has fully recovered from his back surgery. Apparently it was a mutual agreement, Lendl actually said Murray needs to move on 'to bigger things', so maybe that is what he is looking at.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye, Lendl wanted to commit more on playing in his senior tournaments as well as less travelling with Murray to every event, think he'd already cut down.

Be interesting to see who Murray goes with now, wonder if he'll pick out a high profile ex-pro like Federer and Djokovic went with after the Murray/Lendl partnership prospered or go for someone less well-known.

I'd have a cheeky bet on Agassi if I'm honest.