What's new

SPITE </3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
10Watt said:
The Bullet, Flamingoland. Only opened for 2 hours on the day I visited!

Yeah, that was normal. Maybe when they first got it, it ran longer, but for the last few years it was there it only ran for a couple of hours a day in low season, maybe an extra hour in high season but can't remember exactly. Either way, it didn't run full days, even in high season, for years before it finally went.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I've got spited for 2 things.

MAGNUM XL 200: Closed right when I was about to get on. I could have started riding bigger coasters that day and working my way up to Millennium Force if that thing wouldn't have closed. I don't remember why it closed, maybe it was having maintance issues, I also heard somewhere it almost derailed, so you never know.

SPLASH MOUNTAIN: My first trip to any amusement park (Walt Disney World) and I get spited for something I really wanted to ride? I got to ride it in December 2011 and I didn't feel bad for getting spited because when I rode Splash Mountain the only thing really good on it was the drop before the main drop, and then the main drop.

Error

Strata Poster
Front row of Volcano: The Blast Coaster: Sat down, ready to dispatch, broke down. Rode it later that day.

American Eagle Blue Side: Just never was open when I was there.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Snoo said:
madhjsp said:
Snoo said:
Hard Rock Park

All of it.

Son of a bitch.

Did you actually go to Myrtle Beach right when it closed up?

I was there like 3 weeks before it opened.

Sucks. It really was pretty well done for a small start-up theme park. I can't believe that at least the B&M hasn't been sold & relocated someplace else.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Because that B&M is a piece of ****. I even spoke with the manager of Six Flags America, who was considering purchasing it, & talked him out of taking it into consideration.
Hard Rock also spited me to an extent in that it closed three days before I was going to take Aidan there for his birthday. We had been there earlier in the year & it was his favorite park. He really wanted to go back & I wanted to film the coasters again (I had a **** camera the first time we went as you can tell from the videos on youtube).
We went back the following year when it reopened as Freestyle Music Park, but that place was absolute ****. I couldn't believe how they took a great park & ruined it when all they had to do was leave everything alone other than renaming the rides. Instead they had to dump what little money they had into changing the rides when they should have spent it on advertising. Doesn't really matter since they would have gone belly up either way. :roll:

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ Eh, I wouldn't go quite so far as to call LZTR a piece of ****, but I'll agree it certainly wasn't the most imaginative ride B&M ever put out. I enjoyed it with the onboard audio, though.. thought the sync-up of the first drop with Robert Plant's yell was pretty creative.

At any rate, my point is that there are plenty of parks out there that could do a lot worse than to add a lightly-used B&M at a secondhand price. Regardless of what enthusiasts may think about it, the fact that it's a smooth large-scale looping coaster pretty much instantly makes it a draw for just about everyone else.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
madhjsp said:
... the fact that it's a smooth large-scale looping coaster pretty much instantly makes it a draw for just about everyone else.
See, that's the thing. I also thought that when I first rode it as Led Zep, but the wife & kid kept telling me otherwise. I was so into the whole sync-up & set-up, I didn't pay attention to the ride itself. After they both refused to re-ride I paid attention & realized that it was rough as hell. I confirmed this when I returned to the park & rode it as Time Machine. I thought I was just over reacting to their claims, but I re-rode it a couple more times & concluded that it is the worst piece of **** B&M ever built. I wish you could ride it again without the effects to know what I'm talking about.
I know that I complain about Raptor & Hydra being rough for B&Ms, but they don't hold **** compared to that ho-hum run-of-the-mill turd-ball hunk-o-junk. It's as bad as Iron Wolf or Vortex at CGA, but it's a **** ing sitter, so WTF? And it's the only B&M I've ridden that actually gave me a headache.
OK. Rant over. Let's move on...

Jake

Strata Poster
To be honest, there hasn't actually been any MAJOR spite in my cred career so far. I've missed a lot of creds but they've all been crap ones really...

I'd say about 50% of these were actually closed and the other 50% are spiteful kiddie creds.

PDA in Madrid has 2 kiddies they don't let adults on <///3. Plus loads in America, loads.

The most major cred that has spited me is probably the TOGO stand up at KD, which normally would have been really annoying but I'd ridden the one in Canada a couple of weeks previously. The next would be the Boomerang at Walibi Belgium - meh.

There have been a few kiddies at dumpy parks which have randomly just, not existed anymore, but again, it's nothing I would have had bragging rights about so it's not the end of the world.

Edit - just remembered we got spited by the B&M at Ocean Park, plus the S&S launcher at Happy Valley Shenzhen, but both hadn't opened yet. Still spite, but it's not like they were just down for the day or anything.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Cheetah Hunt - coaster was complete and had been testing. They were tarmacing the area outside the station when we were there.

Pteradon Flyers - usual missing a child to go on it

We were very nearly spited by Kraken at Seaworld but ended up being able to rejig one of our later days to pop to Seaworld first in the morning to get it. Also Stealth spited me on 3 consecutive visits.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
El Toro :(

Bullet Coaster - Happy Valley Shenzhen. Two years in a row I crossed the boarder mainly just to get this cred. The first year it was closed so they could redesign the thing. This year it was supposed to have been re-opened - the website and even the map at the park said 'now open'...but no, the gates were locked shut :(

tks

Strata Poster
The ENTIRETY of Toverland.

I had a pretty bad case of dairy poisoning so had to spend the day in bed... **** you Tripsdill food"!

Martyn B

CF Legend
I even spoke with the manager of Six Flags America, who was considering purchasing it, & talked him out of taking it into consideration.

Are you sure you talked someone out of making a multi-million dollar decision?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I didn't say I talked him out of making a multi-million dollar decision. I just talked him into not taking that coaster into consideration as a purchase (since he asked for my opinion) & go with one of their other choices. There was another respected coaster enthusiast with me providing his opinion & we had quite a long & detailed discussion about the coaster. We suggested that they would be better off purchasing the Life In The Fast Lane Vekoma mine train instead, but who knows what they will do since they still have yet to pay for Iron Wolf.

Snoo

The Legend
Martyn B said:
I even spoke with the manager of Six Flags America, who was considering purchasing it, & talked him out of taking it into consideration.

Are you sure you talked someone out of making a multi-million dollar decision?

Have you met Jerry?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
If this is about going to parks and having things closed.... My list would be like.......

After three visits to Six Flags Over Georgia... still wasn’t able to ride Déjà Vu OR Acrophobia, the two rides I wanted to ride the most in the damn park (I'd get Great America’s Déjà the next year and Acro I would get some 5 years later!) Déjà just has massive downtime's and I never even saw it test. Acro had been hit by lightning a week or so before my first trip and it stayed down the rest of the summer.

Went out to western NY and visited Martin's Fantasy Island on their opening day... couldn't find ANY traces of their new for that year spinning mouse! Just a sign hung at the ticket booth.
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/mfi_05_ ... e00004.jpg

Spending about 3 hours in an insanely busy Six Flags St. Louis... I was never able to get Mr. Freeze, it was SO hot and very muggy with thunder storms rolling in and out every few minutes, the whole park kept opening and closing and I had very little time to get things done... and Freeze was something that just didn't happen :(

Went to Keansburg in NJ, and found their Wildcat closed (got it two years later) and I was also denied their Miler kiddie coaster (got to ride it on a later visit as well)

Also in 05, with three visits to Six Flags Great Adventure, I never got to ride Kingda Ka, although I at least got to see it test on the third trip, it never opened (I was able to ride it the next summer a few times... Eh)
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/six_fla ... e00012.jpg

Went to Pleasureland Southport... and had half the park closed... Got on the mouse, worm, and woodie... Never even saw them try to run the Wildcat or SLC. I was pretty sad I missed Traumatizer.

Bah, first time trying to ride El Toro I was greeted with a lovely sign out front stating the ride was CLOSED (it should have read "ride opens at noon" but until it does they keep this stupid sign out front.. really upset me at first :(

Drove with a friend from Boston, MA all the way to Montreal, QB to go to La Ronde (about five hours each way) and ride the new Goliath... the entire park ended up being..........closed. Drove all the way back home that same day, spent maybe 2 hours in Canada, had one hell of a time getting back into the States. (Four days later, we went back to a now OPEN La Ronde and had a blast, even in the rain)
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/la_rond ... e00008.jpg

Went to Myrtle Beach, SC for the last week of Pavilion. Went a few miles north to visit Grand Prix Amusements and pick up what would have been two easy credits... park closed for good the week before I went.
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/grandpr ... e00046.jpg

And while this doesn’t really count just before New Years of 06 I was in Ontario and stopped by Canada's Wonderland, just to look. Having never been it was a pretty big ‘tease’ I guess. (But I ended up going to the park the next summer, woo) over the same weekend I also saw Centreville in Toronto but it was also closed because it was December
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/canadas ... e00001.jpg

Terra Mítica couldn’t get their crap together… So Inferno opened a few days AFTER my visit. Pretty sadden by that, and that their also new that year Intamin Gyro Tower was down, I’m sure the views from it would have been AMAZING.
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/six_fla ... e00012.jpg

Tried to get the credit at the Nascar Park in Sevierville TN.. No signs of life here, even with three attempts (five years later I was able to ride the damn coaster)
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/nascar_ ... e00015.jpg

Went to Beech Bend in December for their Christmas event, the only coaster open was Rumbler, so at least the good ride was running. Still a little sad to see three other coasters not running.. and it was pretty badass to ride the GCI during heavy rain with thunder and lighting around!

After a massive road trip with friends we stopped at Rye Playland on the way back home... and because it had rained in the morning, the park just didn't open. I'd been maybe six other times myself, but it still kinda sucked for the rest of the people I was with.
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/rye_pla ... e00046.jpg

Went out to ride Desperado at Buffalo Bill's Resort, got there just in time to watch the last train of the day cycle.... Had to drive all the way back out from Vegas a few days later.. got Desp, but now their S&S tower was down.. One of the first Turbo Drops made :(

Also showed up to an extremely closed Great Adventure after driving from Boston (six hours or so...) crashed at my friends house in Philly and went the next day (nothing new there for me.. but rather annoying... stupid rain!)

went pretty smooth now that I think about it. Mainly because I only did what is now "local" to me, and a trip to Valleyfair! I had moved across the country in late fall of 09 so I didn't have money or time to travel big in 2010. But I did manage to stop at Boomers on my way back from Miami to find Hurricane closed (but I'd been on it before... just kinda sucked seeing what was the best woodie in Florida SBNO and now gone forever)

2011 went off pretty much flawlessly. There was a minor hiccup at Cheetah Hunt press event... but all ended well. And my awkward western-midwest trip went fine. But I guess I did miss out on all the new stuff at Coney Island, Luna Park and Scream Zone. The day I was set to drive to NYC from Boston (visiting my family) was the day Hurricane Irene hit... So while I did end up missing out on them, I never left my house. Saved me some 10+ hours of driving for nothing.

Last year I don't think I hit any speed bumps at all outside of driving myself from Los Angeles to San Deigo to ride Giant Dipper at Belmont Park, just to have them closed....... because it was CLOUDY! The worst was, I had left SeaWorld early just to go to the park... and was unable to reenter SW afterwards. After checking Belmont's site on my phone to see that it was indeed listed as opening.. we called and were told the "park didn't open because of the weather ((now sunny!!)) and to come back on Thursday" yeah, WTF, I'm not driving all the way down again from LA to ride your crappy ass coaster I still wont be sure is even open! [/rant]

And countless trips over many years to Great Adventure and never being able to ride the Batman side of Chiller. Never even saw it MOVE! in fact, now that I think about it... it didn't even have a train to be seen a few of the times... Outside of those listed here there have been a few kiddie coasters along the way that were closed or that don't let adults.. or do sometimes but not others.. or don't anymore but used to... It'd be too long to list them all although I've yet to go too far out of my way for a kiddie coaster I was unable to ride. Oh, and I've driven past Intimidator 305 upwards of seven times without having been to Kings Dominion since it opened (but I've been to the park a good 20 times in the past!)
http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/kings_d ... e00065.jpg

Jer

Strata Poster
Most of my spite were **** rides at the Jersey Shore

and Stinger @ Dorney: I know it's only a relocated innvertigo, but 2013 is going to be a slow year for coasters and I wont be able to get back to Dorney I was a little disappointed.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Why not bump a 15 month old thread instead of creating a new one, I thought to myself this morning.

My Spite Stories (as I would have entitled my thread had I not found this one):

Pretty much the whole state of Texas has spited me. When I went to Over Texas in 2008 my half day cred run started out fine with walk ons for Titan, Texas Giant, and Batman, then spite caught me. Shockwave down, Judge Roy down, I got in line for Freeze, was told by a ride op walking by it was a 10 minute wait, turned out to be 45. Went to ride Tony Hawks (or whatever its called) and it was posted at a 60. I didn't bother with hunting for the kiddy creds, on a hunch checked out La Vibora on the way out and it was a walk on so picked that up. Only positive was I got a 2009 Season Pass for $25 bucks.

The next summer I was driving out to an internship at Magic Mountain and stopped in San Antonio. We had a 4 hours to kill so stopped into Fiesta Texas with my season pass I picked up at Over Texas. Sat down on Goliath, ride op says get off the train their is lightning in the area. It was one of those the sky is bright blue but within 7 miles a lightning strike hit so we had to wait it out. Decided to walk around the park, waited 45 min for the Sally Corp shooter and by the time we got out weather had cleared. Got on Tony Hawk, Krypton Coaster (thank god), and Poltergeist with 10-15 min waits. Went to ride Rattler, closed for fireworks. Went to hit up Goliath on the way out, closed for ???. Another Six Flags park in Texas, another 50% batting average on the coasters.

When I drove back from said internship we stopped in Vegas for my wife's 21st bday. Vegas did not spite me, but a coaster on the trip back did. We had to drive thru the ABQ so I figured I would pick up the New Mexico Rattler cred, called the park to ensure they were open, they were but Rattler was not.

A few short weeks later I wanted to check out the new Hard Rock Park, I had heard they weren't doing well and figured closing weekend may be my last chance for a while. When I pulled up their calendar, closing weekend was dedicated to Season Pass Holders, and was closed to the "general public". I called the park and asked if they planned on doing that still (I knew 2 people who opened the park as supervisors and they told me their attendance was in the teens on some days, as in like 18 people for the entire day), and they said yes, and if I wanted to attend I could purchase an annual pass (that was going for about 3 times the rate of a single day ticket).

Went to Knotts in early September of 2012. Website said everything was a go, as it was Labor Day Weekend. When I get to the park a pretty sign out front said Ghostrider would not be opening. I guess Knotts likes to close some of the major rides on holidays for no reason at all?