What's new

SPITE </3

Martyn B

CF Legend
Nothing like being all pumped for the ride & then seeing the train sitting there on the track where they had evac'd the riders, then having security tell you about the loud BOOM it made during the launch that shook the entire grand stand & knowing that there was no chance waiting for it to start back up again.

I dunno. If a coaster isn't going to open, I'd rather be told than be thinking about it all day, and going back to check on a regular basis.

davidm

Strata Poster
Xx2 (thats X, twice; in 2002 and then 2006), have X2 now though so thats all OK (although got spited by Green Lantern in 2011).

DejaVu at Georgia, would have had the full set then (OK so there is another one by now).

White Cyclone at Spaland is probably the only one that really irratated me though as it was cycling, just with no peeps on.

I've probably been quite lucky then, but if I know something isn't running before I go its not really a spite is it (TitanV springs to mind, and I did know about X in 2006 to be honest (but not the first time))?

(nor is it a spite if something was not built yet when you went!)

Rach

Giga Poster
El Toro - The worst of mine! Bastard thing was down for maintenance on the day of our visit last year! I still have the other side of Rolling Thunder and the kiddie cred to nab at Great Adventure! All the more reasons to return.

Coney Island - The weather was particularly spiteful on the morning we tried to grab the creds. Only for it to brighten up not long after we left. >.< But I don't actually think it opened that day!

Those 2 make good reasons to return New York/New Jersey!!

Enigma - Looks like it was down for a motor replacement of some sort.

Stinger - It was having teething problems when we visited Dorney. It had only opened a couple of weeks before we went. Probably a good thing given my fever/acheyness on the day we went!

Master Thai - Teasing us as it tested about two or so weeks before it opened!

All of those were last year, apart from Master Thai! Never really been spited before that. If it weren't for these, I would've easily reached my 300 goal for 2012! :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
david morton said:
White Cyclone at Spaland is probably the only one that really irratated me though as it was cycling, just with no peeps on.

I forgot about Ultra Twister at Nagashima Spaland. It's the only park I've been to with a Togo pipeline coaster as well, so a bit gutted about that one. I got White Cyclone though. It was amazing. Best coaster ever. Too bad you never got to ride*

*Standard response when you've been on something someone else hasn't, even if it was nothing special and rattled enough to loosen a filling.

davidm

Strata Poster
You'll find that Ultra-Twister is the best ride evaaarrrr..... actually I think Astroworld's was probably a bit nicer*.

(Spaland's Corkscrew & Jet also spited me and I only got 1 of the dual-mice; but it was the woody that annoyed me)

* - standard response when out-geeked, to raise the geekiness with not only a defunct cred, but a defunct park as well.

EDIT : actually (geekily) I just looked up Spaland again on t'internets and noticed that not only have they repainted Ultra-Twister (yellow) but they appear to have moved it as well, to the other side of SD2000 ; how odd ; http://rcdb.com/1179.htm?p=40646

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I got both of the mice. Whichever side you didn't get was probably the best Wild Mouse I've ever been on.

That is weird about Ultra Twister. It's good in a way, as it means that there are clearly no plans to get rid of it, but why move it when nothing else can really fit in that space? Thinking about it, it was right on the edge of the park and next to some apartments if I remember correctly. If it was noisy they may have had to move it. Just a guess, but the only reason I can think of. Might as well give it a repaint in the process.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
When Ben and I went to Germany, the day we were planning to visit Movie Park, I was really gutted to see that Bandit was closed. Not because it is a good cred, but because of the fact that I have no reason to go back to that park other than that rotten piece of wood.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I was spited by the drop tower at Movie Park :( , but I have to go back for Van Helsing's Factory. How was it?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
^The drop tower is actually really good. It ranks #2, after Mystery Castle. I think we rode it three or four times.

Aha! Thanks for pointing Van Helsing. See? That's something I would go back for, along with Bandit!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I missed several creds at some parks I visited when I was younger, as I was either too scared or didn't really make it a big deal to ride every coaster in the park. But the only three coasters that have actually spited me are:

Flight of Fear (Kings Dominion) - Not a big deal now as I have since ridden it plenty of times, but it happened to be closed for the day during both of my first two visits to KD. I thought I'd never get the chance to ride it!

Nighthawk (Carowinds) - Closed for the day during my one visit to Carowinds. Bummer, because I was pretty curious to try the relatively rare Vekoma flyer, and also a bummer because it means I have to actually go back to that park to nab the cred.

Maximum RPM (Hard Rock Park) - Was the only ride in the park that hadn't opened yet when I went there in early summer 2008. I think they were still having some technical issues with the ferris wheel lift. And of course, HRP went out of business shortly afterwards so there's no chance for me (or anyone else :twisted:) to nab this one!

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - It had an issue that spited it for me when I went in 2010 but I expect I'll be going back to Florida again :)

That's probably the only one I can think of as I've also been lucky with creds *touch wood* :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Matterhorn Bobsleds down for rehab

Superman The Escape down because Lex Luthor was being built

Xcelerator at Knotts down because I don't know why the management wouldn't tell us <//3

Coney Island because.....there were clouds in the sky or something?

Probably some more but those are the main ones.

Mike

Giga Poster
Pretty much everything at Parque de Atracciones in Madrid, but probably Tornado worst of all.

The whole day was grey skies, light drizzle and not a lot of people in the park. I managed to get on Tarántula and one of the kiddie creds after managing to steal a child, but there weren't enough people around the other kiddie cred and neither Abismo or the Wild Mouse had any ride ops around.

Tornado, on the other hand, had about 4 ride ops, and they confirmed the ride was open but had some ridiculous policy of needing about 20 people to run. With no-one else around, I thought I'd might as well do something and come back later, so I rode the monorail. 40 minutes later, and after seeing Tornado go round twice whilst I was stuck on the monorail, I went back to see the area deserted again, after which it started properly raining and they closed.

SPITE. </3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
V2 at SFGAm. Closed both days I was there.

Son of Beast. Closed 2 weeks before I went.

Freeze Reverse Blast SFoT. It was testing, but never opened. Upset about that one.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail - Just got off Chinese Fireball and went up to ride the other side and the ride op said it was closed.

Other than that I've been lucky. The only creds I didn't get are ones I was afraid of when I was little or didn't care about getting until this past year.

marc

CF Legend
Re: SPITE </3

X2 was still being painted when we went.

The launch coaster at knotts was shut for work when we went, not the intamin one.

Other than that been really lucky on trips.

cookie

Giga Poster
Transformers at USS was less than three weeks from soft opening when I went. Jurassic Park rafting was down for rehab too. :(

Most of the flat rides up on the mountain at Liseberg (Screamin' Swing, Ferris Wheel and two S&S drop towers) were closed due to high winds or so they said when I last went in 2011. The new Gyro Drop and Lisebergsbanan were open however.

10WaTT

Hyper Poster
Stunt fall, Parque Warner. Had no train on the track, but no mention of it being down on the website.
Tom y Jerry, Parque Warner.

Tren Bravo left, Terra Mitica.
Tren Bravo right, Terra Mitica. Said on the website still running, get to the park and it's in storage.

Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Disneys Hollywood Studios. Queued up for 3 hours in the blistering heat to be told it will be broken down for the rest of the day.

Morgawr, Crealy Cornwall. Been to the park 3 times and no luck, Raging!

Gwazi Tiger, Busch Gardens Tampa.

Pteranodon Flyers, Islands of Adventure. No adults alone.

Max Adventures Master Thai, Mirabilandia. Testing infront of my eyes! :'(

The Bullet, Flamingoland. Only opened for 2 hours on the day I visited!

Twister, Lightwater Valley. Some girl died on it a few days before my visit, so it was closed.
Batflyer, Lightwater Valley.

New Pleasureland Southport. Bought 20 quid worth of tokens, went on wildcat and by the time a had my 1 go on it everything else had shut. So missed out on 2 coasters and whatever else I may have gone on.

Big Dipper, Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Derailed a week or so before my visit, saw them testing it though :(
Steeplechase Yellow, Blackpool pleasure Beach.

Ladybird Coaster, Wicksteed Park. Raining.
Clown Coaster, Wicksteed Park. Raining.

Not cool!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The more I read this topic, the more I remember was actually closed.

Everything at Parque de Atracciones Madrid was closed because of rain. It wasn't raining, but it had been raining, so they didn't bother to open anything up after that.

I missed Superman and Batman at Magic Mountain as well because they were both down. I wasn't too bothered as I've been on 3 of the Batman clones now anyway, and Superman was before they changed it and it looked a bit **** to be fair.

Plus, if they'd been open, I would have ridden them and wouldn't have had time to ride Goliath, which I only just managed to get in the queue for before closing and I really, really liked. Probably would've missed Scream as well, which I liked better than a Batman clone.

So yeah, either way I was going to miss out on 2 coasters at Magic Mountain. I'm glad it was the two I missed and not the two I managed to squeeze in at the end of the day.