What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
See I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Part of me thinks this is scaremongering by people who won't understand structural mechanics. Put is this way, if the structure WASN'T flexing like this I'd be far more concerned. A ductile material (like steel) behaving in a non-ductile way (like concrete) is scary stuff. This likely has done no real damage to the ride, but I would probably still want a third party review - especially of the bolts and welds in those flanges.

Another part of me thinks that there should be mechanisms in place to prevent this - interlocks between the brake and the motors, etc. If I worked at the Zamperla office I'd be sweating a little bit this morning

Then all of me thinks "why wasn't the ride e-stopped?" and "why didn't they get the people off?". Regardless of the engineering, it's not a good look.

Dar

Hyper Poster
See I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Part of me thinks this is scaremongering by people who won't understand structural mechanics. Put is this way, if the structure WASN'T flexing like this I'd be far more concerned. A ductile material (like steel) behaving in a non-ductile way (like concrete) is scary stuff. This likely has done no real damage to the ride, but I would probably still want a third party review - especially of the bolts and welds in those flanges.

Another part of me thinks that there should be mechanisms in place to prevent this - interlocks between the brake and the motors, etc. If I worked at the Zamperla office I'd be sweating a little bit this morning

Then all of me thinks "why wasn't the ride e-stopped?" and "why didn't they get the people off?". Regardless of the engineering, it's not a good look.
I'm sure I've heard around that six flags don't 'let' the ops e-stop rides without clearance in case it takes the ride out for the day, so that could explain why the heck this thing still had power lol

I'm no enginerd, but that motion reminds me of when a motor has lost its location and is trying to "home" against an end stop

MillenniumT

Roller Poster
Its strange that from seeing this I did a quick search on POV's and off ride footage of the ride since its opened and in some of them when the ride begins to slow down you do notice a ever so slight wobble/warp in the support at the front just ever so briefly. Nothing like it is in that TikTok video definitely interesting to see what happens now

Pear

Strata Poster
Seems Shivering Timbers pulled a Boulder Dash

denwkqac6n671.jpg

Last edited:

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
@Scottingtonville and @sarahsmile traveled all the way to MA from Florida just to ride Shivering Timbers last weekend. Unfortunately they didn't get to ride it because of this.
Ah yes, quite the disappointment was expressed over something that arguably is nobody's fault. Understandable depending on how you look at it, rotten luck all around. The park's handling of the aftermath, however, is up for debate if half of what the facebook post says is true.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Ha ha, I love the matter-of-fact way you posted that story, Matt, with no additional comment whatsoever! Not even so much as an emoji!
"Personally, I think this is good news overall. It goes to show that people are really interested in the ride. Whilst I don't condone these guests behaviour, I do think this is really promising for the park."

Matt N

CF Legend
I guess the person must have been getting hungry looking at the cucumbers?

The main thing, though, is that I’m glad the person wasn’t hurt! Getting out of the boat could have ended badly, but thankfully, it didn’t.

emoo

Hyper Poster
There it is, the sympathy. Came across that else where as well so already uptight about it. Thoughts and prayers? Did she have nice sandwiches?

More like where is the security and were they banned for life. Getting out of a ride vehicle for a laugh or a snack should not be tolerated.

Good on Universal for highlighting the foolishness.