What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Newtrek5

Mega Poster
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

^ Hopefully we'll form an accurate opinion soon.

Full Throttle opening date has been set for June 22nd.

I'll be attending media day on June 21st if everything goes according to plan! :eek:

Snoo

The Legend

Newtrek5 said:

I'll be attending media day on June 21st if everything goes according to plan! :eek:

Mine is pretty accurate. It is my opinion after all and I'm right. You didn't know this?

Xpress

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
Newtrek5 said:

Mine is pretty accurate. It is my opinion after all and I'm right. You didn't know this?

Yeah well opinions are like assholes, everyone has one :D

-------

Pretty jazzed about it opening so soon. May have to take a trip to the park in september when all of the little punks are back in school.

Snoo

The Legend

Let's be honest, you're an asshole.

No joke to that, just speaking from the heart. :D

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

Snoo said:
Newtrek5 said:

Impressive... :drinking:

Xpress

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
Let's be honest, you're an asshole.

No joke to that, just speaking from the heart. :D

The feelings are mutual boogerboo :D

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Geez I decide to have a life for a few days and you guys decided to have fun without me.

My only response regards Tatsu. The train's pace was so fast on its first test run that they swapped wheels every cycle to lengthen the cycle time by many seconds over dozens of cycles. You'd know this fact if you watched that special that aired on Discovery or NatGeo (I don't remember which one) often a few years back.

steel

Mega Poster

Idk it's not really that it goes slow as much as that it just doesn't make that much sense. Maybe it will be amazing in person, who knows, but right now this ride isn't doing a lot for me. Seems like a capacity nightmare with a couple of gimmicky (albeit probably really fun) elements and not much else.

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

This definitely looks like a backseat ride. The hangtime on the loop, the pull over that snake dive into the tunnel. The Backwards launch into a near inverted postion. And then finally the airtime pull down the 90 degree finale drop.

A backseat ride if ever there was one.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

For a ride opening in a week, they have a **** load of work to do.

Can't imagine it going much faster.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Surely that can't be the top speed. It's barely making it through some elements. I will say though it does look visually great and those ride car are looking pretty damn nice. Just get it speeded up!

Error

Strata Poster

What really bugs me about this whole ride is that it has some good things going for it. And uses none of them to create a full experience. It feels more like a concept test than a really good ride, and even the videos of them testing hasn't made me change my mind of it.

I still don't like it.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Aaaaaand not a peep from magic mountain press...

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

I was out at the park today for media day. Things got off to a bit of a rocky start when the park had to await the final permit from Sacramento before they could do the initial launch. But after a brief delay, the opening ceremony ended up being quite nice and energetic. It reminded me of the opening of Goliath years ago. The park seems really happy with all the work done to get Full Throttle open.

So how is the ride? My God it sucks! Just awful. No one seemed happy coming off the ride. It's the worst possible coaster SFMM could have added. :x

Seriously, this ride is fun. Nothing earth shattering, but I think the park has a winner when this opens to the public. Smooth as silk, middle tier launch (reminded me of Stormrunner), and imo, the best vertical/inversion loop in existance. The hang time in that loop is just amazing, and the star element of the ride. I can't wait to get more rides in next week.

I talked a few minutes with Tim (director of operations) who told me a few interesting tidbits about the ride:

1) The idea was to create a ride that appeals to all ages, not just hardcore riders.

2) This was the toughest ride they've ever built in terms of the land prep.

3) The ride was green lighted after the decision to move Deja Vu and was initially slated for that area until cutbacks made it impossible to continue to operate the energy hogging Log Jammer.

4) The budget for Full Throttle was tight, so there was no way to make the coaster longer or more sprawling.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

POV: http://youtu.be/hvfJ19QqVDA

The station is awful. No shade? Can't imagine how that will work when it hits 115 in the summer for those ride ops, I can ONLY assume they will go slower. And yeah, doesn't look like it sped up all that much. Music in tunnel is awful, don't ruin Ozzy with **** dubstep.

Also, if it's not longer because of budget, they surely could have waited a year, especially since he said how difficult it was building due to terrain. Maybe build up suspense by beginning build in the summer? Make a ride that could have a decent capacity?

Still gonna ride it someday for the +1, but it looks crap still.

kimahri

CF Legend

Oh wow, that looks really cack. It kinda reminds me on Hypersonic **** in that there's **** all to it.

Naemuti

Mega Poster

That is the most shoehorned in music and the biggest waste of a sountrack ever. Five seconds of Pink Floyd and Ozzy dubstep. Eugh.

I can't wait to see how the pleasant and efficient SFMM ride ops work in the hellhole desert sun in Valencia with no shade, gonna be swell.

Xpress

Strata Poster

From another forum, rumor spreading around is that they rushed to get the ride to a point where they could open it by the deadline, they still have to do some finishing touches before the ride is complete (including adding a roof to the station).

Initial reports say that the airtime on the back end of the tophat is STRONG ejector, the brakes don't start until after you've been pinned to your restraints.