What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

Hutch

Strata Poster
Re: SF Great America | "Goliath" | RMC Woodie

Error said:
That all being said: CAN'T YOU CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN **** GOLIATH?! We're up to SEVEN. AND NONE ARE THE SAME.

Six Flags: "Hmmmm, what should we call our new roller coaster? Hey! It's big, so why not call it GOLIATH? :)" :drinking:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Nobody has commented on the height yet? At 165 feet it'll be a fair bit lower than Colossos (197 feet), heck both T Express (184 feet) and El Toro (181 feet) will be taller! Stupid Six Flags claiming false records!! ><

On the other hand this project looks epic! All you have to do is see past false marketing and an unimaginative name.. :--D

But they didnt say tallest wooden coaster. they said tallest wooden coaster drop. Which some how it actually is. All 3 Intamin prefabs have shorter drops despite being taller rides.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

Sanchezmran said:
Error said:
That all being said: CAN'T YOU CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN **** GOLIATH?! We're up to SEVEN. AND NONE ARE THE SAME.

Six Flags: "Hmmmm, what should we call our new roller coaster? Hey! It's big, so why not call it GOLIATH? :)" :drinking:

The funny thing is though the one at SFFT isn't even big, so why did they call it Goliath?

andrus

Giga Poster

roomraider said:
Nobody has commented on the height yet? At 165 feet it'll be a fair bit lower than Colossos (197 feet), heck both T Express (184 feet) and El Toro (181 feet) will be taller! Stupid Six Flags claiming false records!! ><

On the other hand this project looks epic! All you have to do is see past false marketing and an unimaginative name.. :--D

But they didnt say tallest wooden coaster. they said tallest wooden coaster drop. Which some how it actually is. All 3 Intamin prefabs have shorter drops despite being taller rides.
I didn't read the press release, but in the video it clearly says: "The world's tallest, steepest, fastest wooden roller coaster", which is blatantly false! But since nobody is gonna sue them anyway I guess they can claim whatever record they want to :p

Darren B

Giga Poster

Sanchezmran said:
Error said:

The thing is as Enthusiasts we recognise that there are 7 Goliath's, but the GP wouldn't have much of a clue unless they are well travelled, and most I guess will only visit one SF park in their lifetime. I personally like the idea of them calling their biggest attraction Goliath or in Great America's case their biggest wooden attraction, the only one I don't really get is the Batman clone in Texas being called Goliath, so ok they can't call it batman but Goliath just isn't a suitable name for it.

BBH

Giga Poster

The three records are:

Tallest drop on a woodie
Steepest drop on a woodie
Fastest woodie

It doesn't claim it's the tallest height-wise, just that it has the tallest drop.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: SF Great America | "Goliath" | RMC Woodie??

Nemesis Inferno said:
It looks awful... An upside down airtime hill?

Ew, so much ew...

Yeah, hi... On any other coaster, that's called a zero-G roll.

BBH

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

Ew, so much ew...

It'll be a cool experience to be lifted up into your seat instead of ejected out of it.

I count it as an airtime hill and a half, with the half having the potential to be much better than the first.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

Ew, so much ew...

No it's not? A zero G roll rotates you 360 degrees while weightless in one smooth motion, this hill rotates 180, stays there for a prolonged time then rotates back 180. It's nothing like a zero G apart from it going upsidedown.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Oh, so you've ridden it already then and know exactly how it feels?

Carry on bitc#ing about it then.

:roll:

The negativity around here lately is astounding. I mean a stranger coming in here and reading would think that most of the members here hate amusement parks and roller coasters.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ No but CrazyCoaster is right. It is nothing like an airtime hill, at all. It's more like the overbank on Outlaw Run.

A zero-g roll rotates 360 degrees in one direction. This twists back the same way it came, like an overbank. You don't have to ride it to see that.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:

The negativity around here lately is astounding. I mean a stranger coming in here and reading would think that most of the members here hate amusement parks and roller coasters.

Actually, you'll find that I was responding to your condescending attitude towards Nemesis Inferno. Jeez pot, kettle black.

I didn't once metion how it would feel or ride, I simply said that you were wrong calling it a zero g roll, which you are. Lol.

I have a feeling it will ride weightless, which'll be sureal upside down.

jolash

Mega Poster

rollermonkey said:

But we do hate them. Stupid amusement parks with their stupid rides and their stupid corn dogs and their stupid beautifully twisted roller coasters.

On another note, someone mentioned "it would be a cool feeling if you got lifted out of your seat on this element"... We call this, hanging upside-down.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

BBH

Giga Poster

I think on the zero-G stall you'd be pressed up into your seat rather than dangle out of it because of the sustained inverted negative G-forces.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Pretty sure if the radius of the inverted curve is small enough, the forces will be positive. Maybe not enough to cancel out hangtime though.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

I'm confident that the guys at RMC designed the element so riders are completely weightless for the duration of the upside down portion of the element. Too much hangtime would kill pacing and a positive (in this case, upward) force would just be stupid and not fun at all.

BBH

Giga Poster

Looking at the animation there's no way that those forces are positive. It'll be a nice upward float pressing you into your seat, with some decent hangtime before the apex of the element.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

...and exactly as I said, none of have ridden it, so we have no idea how it will feel.

We all know that animations are usually garbage for guessing the g-forces from whether positive, or negative.

But, carry on with 6 months of pointless guessing and sniping until it opens and people actually ride it.

BBH

Giga Poster

*insert nonsensical rambling here*

Once the Village of Gurnee approves the construction permit (which should be tomorrow) then this thing will start flying up, especially since the track is prefabricated.

B&MintaminGCI

Roller Poster

I still think it's funny how at IAAPA they said they wouldn't do high G maneuvers like loops/dive loops/immelmanns yet here we are...

Looks awesome, which I could get out there to ride it in the near future.