What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: SF Great America | "Goliath" | RMC Woodie

Big Six Flags coaster? Of course they call it Goliath...

marc

CF Legend

Cheers Snoo for at least covering that they ride different to steal.

Yes I know about the steal on wooden coasters etc, you just don't see gaps of un supported track on them.

As said its my views anyway.

Snoo

The Legend

Of course! Just providing a perspective of someone who has seen and ridden both. :D

tks

Strata Poster

It's basically a steel coaster masquerading under a classic wooden layout.

Also why don't they just accept they've designed a Dive Loop instead of that 180 degree and inverted drop ****.

jolash

Mega Poster

marc said:
Cheers Snoo for at least covering that they ride different to steal.

Yes I know about the steal on wooden coasters etc, you just don't see gaps of un supported track on them.

As said its my views anyway.

No I agree with you. This may "technically" be a wooden coaster, but I have a hard enough time considering Intamin prefabs to be true wood, let alone whatever the hell these rides are.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

therick311

Mega Poster

I am suddenly remembering what I heard one of the RMC designers say when asked if he considers Outlaw Run wood or steel.

(paraphrased) "Call it whatever you want. I just hope you call it fun."

Sorry, I don't remember where I heard this, or what the man's name was.

Personally, I have no problem calling it a wooden coaster, but the man does have a point.

andrus

Giga Poster

Nobody has commented on the height yet? At 165 feet it'll be a fair bit lower than Colossos (197 feet), heck both T Express (184 feet) and El Toro (181 feet) will be taller! Stupid Six Flags claiming false records!! ><

On the other hand this project looks epic! All you have to do is see past false marketing and an unimaginative name.. :--D

jolash

Mega Poster

andrus said:
Nobody has commented on the height yet? At 165 feet it'll be a fair bit lower than Colossos (197 feet), heck both T Express (184 feet) and El Toro (181 feet) will be taller! Stupid Six Flags claiming false records!! ><

On the other hand this project looks epic! All you have to do is see past false marketing and an unimaginative name.. :--D

Don't they still call NTG a wooden coaster? I know at least when it was first opened they kept calling it "Steepest Wooden Coaster".

Regardless I guess I do have to get back to GAm now. I missed a few credits when I went there, plus they have 2 new rides since. I could probably get 5 new credits out of the park.

therick311

Mega Poster

andrus said:

From the OP "Fastest Wooden Roller Coaster with Steepest and Tallest Drop on the Planet".

I believe they are referring to the drop itself.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

therick311 said:
I am suddenly remembering what I heard one of the RMC designers say when asked if he considers Outlaw Run wood or steel.

(paraphrased) "Call it whatever you want. I just hope you call it fun."

Sorry, I don't remember where I heard this, or what the man's name was.

Personally, I have no problem calling it a wooden coaster, but the man does have a point.

Yes, that comment came from Alan, one of the heads at RMC.
It's from one of the IAAPA videos from TPR.

Hutch

Strata Poster

First drop looks epic. Inversions look interesting and look like they offer a lot of hangtime. The airtime hill looks awesome, but shame there's only one.

Ethan

Strata Poster

tomahawKSU said:
Cry all you want Brits

I forgot how much your posts annoy me sometimes.
As for the coaster, looks fun. Nice to see a woodie without those gross red rails.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Looks like I'll be heading to Chicago for a weekend next summer.

BBH

Giga Poster

This'll be the first thing I ride when I go with school in May.;

Holy **** holy **** holy **** that looks epic in the best way.

bmac

Giga Poster

This looks **** disgusting, and I kinda like it.

BBH

Giga Poster

bmac said:
This looks **** disgusting, and I kinda like it.
This was pretty much my exact thought.

Schilke went all-out with the space he had here.

Snoo

The Legend
Re: SF Great America |

jolash said:
andrus said:

Don't they still call NTG a wooden coaster? I know at least when it was first opened they kept calling it "Steepest Wooden Coaster".

Regardless I guess I do have to get back to GAm now. I missed a few credits when I went there, plus they have 2 new rides since. I could probably get 5 new credits out of the park.

Straight from the men who created the rides themselves, Fred Grubb and Co:

Iron Horse: Steel
Topper: Wood

Now how the parks advertise them is different.. but I've never heard of any IH referred to as wood and no one has called topper steel by anyone who is actually not an enthusiast/marketing person.

Error

Strata Poster

Kinda glad I didn't go to SFGAm this year, makes a trip more worth doing.

I like the layout in terms of being simple, which RMC has proven that simple isn't bad. I think it'll be a great addition to the park (Which has maybe 2-3 good rides, but nothing to write home about).

That all being said: CAN'T YOU CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN **** GOLIATH?! We're up to SEVEN. AND NONE ARE THE SAME.

BBH

Giga Poster

I knew it was going to be called Goliath when the teaser videos featured a guy whose name was David. :lol:

Hopefully this'll finally put Great America on the map. They've got a world-class arsenal of fantastic roller coasters, with two damn good woodies before this and now finally a modern wooden coaster to round out their selection fairly nicely apart from a launcher. (Which, although, we kind of already have in V2.)