What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

jolash

Mega Poster
Re: SF Great America | "Goliath" | RMC Woodie

B&MintaminGCI said:
I still think it's funny how at IAAPA they said they wouldn't do high G maneuvers like loops/dive loops/immelmanns yet here we are...

Looks awesome, which I could get out there to ride it in the near future.

Well when it comes down to "We are serious about doing business with you...But only if you'll do this" people can change their minds pretty quickly.

Plus, what's so high-g about an Immelmann? It's only high-G if you make it high-G.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

^What he said. The valley is in a trench, so that extra space helps out a bit.

BBH

Giga Poster

The final Iron Wolf support has been cleared out and there are diggers on-site.

GoliathStation.jpg

(Courtesy of Road Rash at http://sfgamworld.com/)

1236271_628280209786_1676110627_n.jpg

1011653_628280234736_1575853415_n.jpg

1208939_628280963276_1776938226_n.jpg

That last photo shows the remnants of the last Iron Wolf support.

(Courtesy of DejaVu2001 from SFGAmWorld)

BBH

Giga Poster

The Village of Gurnee unanimously approved the construction/height variance and construction is now allowed to officially begin.

May I add, also, that it all went smoothly with only one or two complaining locals. Go find cheaper housing elsewhere if you don't want to live next to a gigantic frickin' theme park.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

It's always an interesting debate, locals vs the parks. I am not familiar with the history of Gurnee, but its a real chicken/egg argument (except for a few cases eg Disneyland/World). Is the neighborhood developed because of the thriving business, or is the business thriving because the neighborhood is developed?

tribar

Mega Poster

If you were there before the park you have a right to complain. Otherwise why would you choose to live next to a park.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Gurnee was farm land in 1975. The town grew because the Chicago suburbs expanded, not because the park is there.

BBH

Giga Poster

If you were there before there was a park, of course it's your right to complain. If you moved there knowing full well there's a major amusement park within a mile of you, then you've no reason to complain about it.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

I know this is getting off topic but I gotta make one more post.

Lets be real here. The average theme park in the US is what, 30 years old? How many people do you actually think reside in a place and have a park built in their area?

Regional parks (like Great America) are part of the community. They thrive because of the suburban neighborhoods that are in the area. They absolutely should work with the neighborhoods when building projects that have impacts. They are changing the skyline of the park, creating new noise impacts (and if 6F is lucky more noise from the increased attendance), not to mention potential crowding on roads, crime (I mean cmon, we are talking about 6F here), and a variety of other economic factors that could be good or bad.

tribar

Mega Poster

BBH said:
If you were there before there was a park, of course it's your right to complain. If you moved there knowing full well there's a major amusement park within a mile of you, then you've no reason to complain about it.
And is someone moves near a major amusement park and has no idea that there is one there than there an idiot :)

njn63

Mega Poster

Was there yesterday. Land is cleared and flattened but no progress beyond that.

BBH

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
That doesn't bode well for a day 1 open.
The station modification is going to take the longest for what it is, but the construction of the actual ride itself is going to be much quicker in comparison with the amount of work they need to do. The only part of ride construction that'll be somewhat painstaking is fabricating the supports.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Pictures from week one of Fright Fest are out, and there's been very little movement besides some very minor clearing of bushes and a couple trees.

bmac

Giga Poster

Typical procrastination by Six Flags, willing to bet money work will be done up to the day before the ride opens.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Does 6F usually open rides from day 1? Aren't they more of a June 1 opening date?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

They used to open most rides on day 1, lately it's been drifting towards Memorial Day or later.