What's new

Six Flags America |"Apocalypse"| B&M Stand Up

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Six Flags America Announces Apocalypse

Maryland’s best theme park to add eighth coaster and first stand-up experience in 2012

The end is near as Six Flags America prepares to face the Apocalypse in 2012! Mayhem comes to Maryland’s favorite theme park in the form of a 100-foot mean machine roller coaster. Guests will take a stand against the end of the world in an all-new, stand-up, steel adventure.

Upon approaching Apocalypse, located in the Skull Island area of the park, guests will wind through a queue stepping further and further into an end of the world scenario. Just when it looks bleak, riders will break out to make the final stand against obliteration. They’ll stand four abreast together, while making the 100-foot ascent to the ride’s apex. For two minutes, they’ll hurtle along the 2,900-foot steel track, feeling the rush of 55 miles-per-hour speeds, hairpin turns, and pulse-pounding inversions.

The Apocalypse is planned to begin at Six Flags America on Friday, May 25, 2012 with a grand opening observance in the morning as the park opens and a thrilling display of fire in the sky that evening. 2012 Six Flags America Season Pass holders will be invited to be amongst the first to brave the ride in a two-day preview event on Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20, 2012. Season passes are on sale today at sixflags.com/America.

Apocalypse has been designed by Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M) of Switzerland. This is Six Flags America’s first B&M coaster as well as the park’s first stand-up coaster. Apocalypse promises to add to a whole new high-intensity thrill to Maryland’s favorite theme park, complementing the park’s arsenal of world-class roller coasters, thrill rides, and water park. The seven current roller coasters at Six Flags America are anchored by the 200-foot SUPERMAN: Ride of Steel; and highlighted by BATWING, Maryland’s first flying coaster; and the classic wooden Wild One, which celebrates its 95th year of thrills in 2012.

Apocalypse02-485x387.jpg

Apocalypse01-485x387.jpg

Apocalypse03-485x387.jpg

Apocalypse04-485x387.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Apocalypse - B&M stand-up for Six Flags America

That color scheme looks pretty cool. Although I kinda lol'ed at the article a bit.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Josh73

Giga Poster

Yeah, I do really like that colour scheme. As for the coaster, meh.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDc1cmscjhI[/youtube]

Snoo

The Legend

Loving the scheme with everyone else.. and the name isn't too bad either. Just WHY does it have to be Iron Wolf?

D1993

Hyper Poster

Yeah this is probably the ride im least pumped about. Why couldnt iron wolf just go somewhere else and SFA actually build a new roller coaster from B&M? its not like they cant build their stand-ups anymore.
Anyways, at least SFA will get a new addition. Like everyone else, the name theme and color is great, just the layout is slightly average. Oh well it'll be a fun new addition

Error

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
Loving the scheme with everyone else.. and the name isn't too bad either. Just WHY does it have to be Iron Wolf?

My thoughts exactly. I mean, don't they have a stand up in storage still? Why aren't they using that?

At least it looks like they're replacing the trains.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ HOPEFULLY they replace the trains!
They really should, Ive heard over the years IW has come to rattle lots

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

This looks like a great, compact ride, loving the near-miss point through the loop :--D

Looks like the perfect ride to ressurect the B+M stand up coasters!

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster

^ don't you mean B&M? :wink: And the ride looks decent.

Ben

CF Legend

Ressurect? You do realise this isn't a new coaster, right?

Drawin

Roller Poster

Looks like a complete copy of The Swarm if you ask me. :p Although yes, the colour scheme is very nice.

Intricks

Strata Poster

*quietly snickers*

Switching between the hideouts'...

CPcisco

Mega Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Looks like the perfect ride to ressurect the B+M stand up coasters!

It is doing no more to resurrect B&M standup coasters then Green Lantern did... ](*,)

Error

Strata Poster

Drawin said:
Looks like a complete copy of The Swarm if you ask me. :p Although yes, the colour scheme is very nice.

I'm sorry, this is for Six Flags America, not GREAT America. And no, I don't think it's an exact copy. Someone tell me I'm wrong and I will gladly shut it.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Obviously Drawin thought this thread was for X-Flight
With that being said, I think X-Flight will be better anyways.

My main concern with Apocalypse is that its going to be rough and bouncy. Hopefully the get new trains.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Can we all stop hatin' on Iron Wolf. I personally think it's a great ride with a lot of history, infact one of the little surprises when I visited SFGAm. Yes it is a little dated and a little rough, but it isn't unbearable, it's not trimmed and the final part has a lot of speed, especially that flat spin!

Hopefully with it's move it'll get refurbished a little (with new trains? if the rendering is correct). If I lived near the park I'd be excited about this addition!

Drawin

Roller Poster

Woops, I fell so embarrassed, when i posted that last night I didn't look at the ride properly.

What I meant was that the first drop on both Apocalypse and The Swarm look alike.

Apocalypse01-485x387.jpg

rollercoaster20120profi.jpg

But then again, alot of rides start of like this and I didn't think about that.

But anyway, are Six Flags just painting over Iron Wolf? Why would they do that, I thought that Iron Wolf was still a popular ride?

Josh73 said:
Drawin said:
Looks like a complete copy of The Swarm if you ask me.

Sure, Newbie...

Hey that's not very nice, I mean, we all got to start somewhere right? Even if it means someone totally new to roller coasters. (Introduced a few months ago, but now totally love them)