What's new

Six Flags America |"Apocalypse"| B&M Stand Up

Re: Apocalypse - B&M stand-up for Six Flags America

Drawin said:
Woops, I fell so embarrassed, when i posted that last night I didn't look at the ride properly.

What I meant was that the first drop on both Apocalypse and The Swarm look alike.

Apocalypse01-485x387.jpg

rollercoaster20120profi.jpg

But then again, alot of rides start of like this and I didn't think about that.

A lot of rides have a similar drop to Iron Wolf, whereas Swarm's closest and only comparison for a first drop is the other wingrider for this year.

Drawin said:
Hey that's not very nice, I mean, we all got to start somewhere right? Even if it means someone totally new to roller coasters. (Introduced a few months ago, but now totally love them)

I know. I was just being smart. :wink: Sorry.

yea its just meh...not that impressive for B&M
..but at least the theming and colour go well together

^ This was B&M's very first coaster that they did as a company (Walter Bolliger and Claude Mabillard worked for Giovanola where they had a hand in designing some coasters prior to this), so I don't think it is right to be comparing this to their more recent installations.

Drawin said:
Woops, I fell so embarrassed, when i posted that last night I didn't look at the ride properly.

What I meant was that the first drop on both Apocalypse and The Swarm look alike.

What you are seeing on Apocalypse is what is known as a pre-drop, and B&M was really the company that pioneered it. The pre-drop was designed to take excessive stress off of the chain motor. This stress occurred as gravity began to pull the the train forwards as it crested the hill. Seeing as the train was still attached to the chain, it would pull the chain and therefore the gears in the motor until the train had cleared the chain. The pre-drop allows for the train to come fully off of the chain before gravity really has a large affect on the train's motion. This design has mostly been done away with in recent B&M's and this is probably due to advances that have been made in technology that alleviates that motor stress.

Drawin said:
But anyway, are Six Flags just painting over Iron Wolf? Why would they do that, I thought that Iron Wolf was still a popular ride?

The ride is being relocated from Six Flags Great America. Along with the move it is being re-named and re-themed. The re-theming is the cause for the color change not due to it's popularity.

Error said:
Snoo said:
Loving the scheme with everyone else.. and the name isn't too bad either. Just WHY does it have to be Iron Wolf?

My thoughts exactly. I mean, don't they have a stand up in storage still? Why aren't they using that?

At least it looks like they're replacing the trains.

The stand-up in storage is an even older Intamin model that W&C were involved in before forming their own company. Think Drayton Manor's Shockwave, only this is older by 15 years, was relocated 3 times already and has been sitting in storage since 2006.

Seriously, which one do you want?

Well it certainly has MUCH more theming than Iron Wolf. The end of the world is coming........oh no!!!!

I think with the addition of X-Flight, Iron Wolf isnt really going to be missed that much. People might be sentimental at first, but after experiencing the awesomeness that X-Flight will be, they'll get over it.

Apocalypse seems to be a fun ride though. I really do think though, that they should get new trains.

I for one am excited.

When I went to SFA in the Spring someone asked us to describe our trip, and we answered the coasters. So I think that might have had an impact! :D

Although I do have to say I'm disappointed there will only be 1 new coaster. The lines will still be full near the end of each day :\

^ only one new coaster?
I cant really ever think of when a park added more than one coaster in a single year and it not be a rare thing.
Most parks only get new coasters every 4-5 years at the least. X-Flight will be brilliant for ages and I think Apocalypse will fit in nicely at SFA.

Why what? On Coasterforce we like it better when you at least try and use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. BTW, I'm not trying to be a mod.

^ He posted something before, must have deleted the comment.

Thanks guys. While I thank you guys for pointing out frivolous things in the topic, I'd appreciate it if you simply spam my inbox rather then the thread. SPANX!

This probably sounds odd, but the colour seems very RCT to me, its ok though, just reminds me of the game for some reason...

Re: Six Flags America |"Apocalypse"| B&M Stand Up

Nope, the trains were just refurbished

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

And the ride sucks.. A LOT.

This really doesn't add anything to SFA.. kinda makes it worse tbh.

well this went up quick.
I wasnt even aware there was any construction happening, and the next thing you know track work is complete haha.
Yeah, I havent heard too many great things about the old Iron Wolf .... I haven't been on it, but its apparently very rough and not pleasant. They really should have tried to get new trains.
I mean , seriously ... SFA hasnt gotten a new amazing coaster in forever .... they should have tried to put some more effort into this apart from just a relocation.
New trains really should have been considered to make the ride more enjoyable.

SFA is just a very neglected park in general. Everything about it is just so lax and 'meh'. One thing which I'll always remember about it is the paths... Just tarmac, on grass, without any foundations/edges.

What a dump.

However, I think this is a good addition for them. Their line up is pretty limited, so from the GP's perspective this is pretty awesome. I'm sure SFA is supposed to be one of the more profitable parks? Evidently, the people of Maryland are easily impressed :).