What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

That and it looks like the barrel rolls are going uphill, before turning into the brakes.

I am most likely wrong though and its just not showing the ground at all.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TbUasWfr0[/youtube]
Here it is! (I know, it really isn't very good, and it looks a bit poo-ish, but I would like some (constructive) criticism on how to make it better). Later I will be adding scenery and hills.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

We it's better than I could do... Looks good to me.

Highlights how short the ride is, but for something full of gimmick that really isn't a surprise. If it does what it does well, it should be good.

The barrel rolls though, still think that's silly.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

^Thank you! :)
But look how much I had to trim the "low float" to make the heart-lines comfortable...

Snoo

The Legend

It will be interesting to say the least. Can't wait to ride it. :D

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

From what I understand, the low float will be down in the valley and the barrel rolls will be running uphill. Judging from the photos, the height differential in the valley is fairly substantial.

B&MintaminGCI

Roller Poster

The "Wave Turn" is also a lot larger on the SDC layout, which would push the entrance of the rolls further down the valley, which would allow them to rotate a lot slower, thus allowing higher speeds into them, not to mention they go up hill.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Joey said:
The barrel rolls though, still think that's silly.

It's called progress & updating to new designs for wooden coasters & it matches steel coasters with inversions.

Why should wooden coasters be left behind & just offer flat track & hills. I hope to see launched woodie in the next few years.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ You must be an idiot if you describe woodies as "flat track and hills" :roll:

Ben

CF Legend

But, when a Woodie is just a Steel Coaster (like this one), why even BOTHER making it wood? It's not a Woodie with inversions, it's a Steel coaster with some wood somewhere near it.

This is totally going to fall over and collapse the second they send a train round anyway.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

^It has topper track not Iron Horse, so it's a woodie. and they do it to bring people in. "The World's only Looping Wooden Coaster", to the GP, that is a big draw in. If it were steel, it would just be like any other inverting coaster.

EDIT: And you think they didn't design it to be strong enough and trains to be light enough for it to be stable? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing here.... :roll:

Ethan

Strata Poster

TrevorBondi305 said:
And you think they didn't design it to be strong enough and trains to be light enough for it to be stable? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing here.... :roll:

#senseofhumourfail

Intricks

Strata Poster

Ben said:
But, when a Woodie is just a Steel Coaster (like this one), why even BOTHER making it wood? It's not a Woodie with inversions, it's a Steel coaster with some wood somewhere near it.

Must you complain about everything :lol:

If you are going to whine, at least make it more inventive.

This is totally going to fall over and collapse the second they send a train round anyway.

This made me laugh a bit.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Ben said:

Wood is a hell of a lot cheaper than steel. Plain and simple. I can go into much more detail about material selection, but why bore you?

bmac

Giga Poster

as long as you don't get this kind of sway

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLfQBW9wnDI[/youtube]

it'll be fine!

Gazza

Giga Poster

148459_10150328302510370_681415369_15849108_640992_n.jpg

I reckon this is much closer to steel than woodie...Sorta agree with Ben actually.

The bit the wheels are attached to is 100% steel. If you were to cut with a saw through it, the core is 100% steel.

Compare with a true wooden coaster, it has a strip of steel to protect it, but if you were to cut through the core of the track, its wood.
ProwlerPrePOV.jpg

That all said, I think the reason you do this type of coaster is because you just want that rustic look.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Um....that is still wood. The only difference being how the rail (is it called that on a wooden coaster even?) is made. Instead of just 3 strips of metal that can bend and warp with time and force, they encase the entire spot and add in the extra bits to reinforce it for longevity and less wear and tear.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Um....that is still wood.
nstead of just 3 strips of metal that can bend and warp with time and force, they encase the entire spot
No, the red bit is 100% steel. Its not "encasing" wood.

Heres another pic if you don't believe me. It's just a hollow rectangular section of steel, I don't see any wood in the middle.
topper07.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster

UC is back. <3

And the topper track is filled with concrete, so it actually isn't hollow at the end. (If that was common knowledge oh well)

Status
Not open for further replies.