What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

If you consider this to be wood, then you have to consider Gemini wood and Voyage steel.

Oh, didn't think so.

TrevorBondi305 said:
EDIT: And you think they didn't design it to be strong enough and trains to be light enough for it to be stable? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing here.... :roll:

Oh, that's funny, because I bet Kings Island said the same about Son of Beast.

As for the price argument, how much is this costing? To re-do New Texas Giant was ten million, so I think people may be over playing the cheap card.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Oh, that's funny, because I bet Kings Island said the same about Son of Beast.
The funny thing with SoB is that they didn't even have to run a train for it to collapse.
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/showthread ... 327ea5d82a

Six Flags still considers Texas Giant a wooden coaster
FWIW in the spiel at the park gate they were promoting as a "Super hybrid wooden coaster" which to me says that they themselves don't see it as a 'straight' wooden coaster.

Not that I'd prefer a ride of one definition or the other...It's the ride experience that counts.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

Can we stop fighting over wood and steel. Fairly certain it will be a great ride regardless.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Said the person who practically started it! :) Besides, it's greatness is a matter of opinion. We all have our own!

Gazza

Giga Poster

TrevorBondi305 said:
Can we stop fighting over wood and steel. Fairly certain it will be a great ride regardless.
Go away, you aren't my mother.

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

Ethan said:
Said the person who practically started it! :) Besides, it's greatness is a matter of opinion. We all have our own!
I didn't mean for it to become a big argument ;)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

This is all boils to down to marketing.

A 'conventional' steel coaster with the same layout as as this would of course still bring new and returning custom to the park. But since they will be able to market it as a worlds first, it's going to be so much easier.

Wether it's wood or steel isn't really upto us. As UC said, I think until the park/manufacturer makes a claim, it's all subjective.

Ben

CF Legend

Uncle Arly said:
Wether it's wood or steel isn't really upto us. As UC said, I think until the park/manufacturer makes a claim, it's all subjective.

Except that if you have a brain of your own, you can make a decision independent of what the park tells you.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Yes of course, but that's still an opinion, and isn't the fact.

I can think and call a B&M sitdown an Intamin inverted, doesn't make it fact.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Yay UC is back! Now people can have a "argue with UC " rite of passage.

Back on topic. There will obviously be kinks to work out, but there always is when doing something for the first time. Its like being an early adopter if a new technology. You may pay more and it may have issues but you get it before anyone else. That's the trade off.

SDC wanted it before anyone else(Ric's first coaster build) So they will have to deal with whatever problems may arise

Im still excited fir this though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

kimahri

CF Legend

It looks like a Wooden Coaster therefore I think it is a Wooden Coaster.

Ben

CF Legend

Uncle Arly said:
Yes of course, but that's still an opinion, and isn't the fact.

I can think and call a B&M sitdown an Intamin inverted, doesn't make it fact.

This makes no sense, because in your example the park could call a B&M sitdown an Intamin invert, and it'd be right.

My point was parks can be wrong about what they call their rides. Or is PMBO really the tallest, fastest, steepest coaster in Europe?

But, yeah, this is still a steel coaster. Hybrid steel coaster with wooden supports. Just like Gemini.

Intricks

Strata Poster

If the ride runs anything like Voyage does, then I pray they keep up with the costs and retracking like Holiday World has.

And holy crap it is UC! Where is my popcorn! :lol:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

All labeling of roller coasters is purely based on the park's marketing needs.

For instance, Maverick has two corkscrew inversions, right? Wrong. According to the park, Maverick features the world's first "Twisted Horseshoe Roll."

4ho00g4c38p9q11oq1np80.jpg

It is all a matter of perspective and PR.

Yes, Outlaw is a steel coaster because majority of the track is steel.

Yes, Outlaw is a hybrid coaster, because the coaster is made out of both steel and wood.

Yes, Outlaw is a wooden coaster, because it still uses wood in its track.

All of these statements are correct, based on perspective.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

A B&M Inverted IS a sit down coaster....I mean, you are sitting : P

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Thank you Matt!

And thanks UC. I forgot about the maintenance aspect while writing that.

And Ben, if you think that an ordinary person is going to walk into an amusement park and make a decision on what material a ride is made out of, then you put way too much faith in humans. It's shocking how many people think roller coasters are powered by engines like automobiles.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Engines power automobiles?

andrus

Giga Poster

To me it's a mystery why all woodies aint being made this way. A topper track like this both ensures a smoother ride at the same time as it reduces the maintenance. I don't care what it's called, to me it's a woodie since it looks like one and follow the fysics of a wooden coaster..

TrevorBondi305

Mega Poster

I think some people like traditional, bumpy woodies. If all wooden coasters were made with topper there would be no point for wooden coasters at all IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.