What's new

SFGAdv | Jersey Devil Coaster | RMC Raptor | 2021

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
It was quite interesting what RMC said about raptors in their interview with Theme Park Worldwide - in short, they are much cheaper to make and can have a small footprint, so they were therefore hoping to open up to smaller parks.

I gather that he was saying they were inexpensive was NOT because they were small.

I wonder how much the New Jersey Devil costs... hmm.

Looking forward to getting on this ride :)

Doublethink

Roller Poster
There are 100 odd supports and they have 12 ish left to finish. Footer work has been going on about 9 weeks so if they continue at their current pace we should expect footer work finished or close to finished by the next update.

Question is how long will it take from footers being completed to starting vertical construction?

Doublethink

Roller Poster
We have zero cars on site!
oqapEyW_d.jpg

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
It was quite interesting what RMC said about raptors in their interview with Theme Park Worldwide - in short, they are much cheaper to make and can have a small footprint, so they were therefore hoping to open up to smaller parks.

I gather that he was saying they were inexpensive was NOT because they were small.

I wonder how much the New Jersey Devil costs... hmm.

Looking forward to getting on this ride :)
If I recall correctly, the Raptors are so inexpensive due to the lack of supports needed. Plus, I'd presume the extremely small track and support sizes save on material costs as well.

Adding my own thoughts to this topic, I feel that RMC designed the Raptor with small parks primarily in mind - much lower price tag for the same thrill of a large coaster, less adamant about high capacity, a tight footprint and unique aspect. While some could argue that a Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter clone (380, 320+ or 320) is around the same price but without as low of a capacity, I feel that the Raptors are even more thrilling and offer very diverse ride sensations - not excluded to hang time and a beyond-vertical drop. However, I'd guess that the investment might still have been too high for the small park audience RMC was targeting with the Raptor model, so Six Flags and Cedar Fair saw this as a way to buy inexpensive but still large-scale, thrilling coasters for their parks.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
More track has arrived and half of the trains are here!

ERQEP-IXsAAnk8t.png

Looks like the trains have had some significant design changes from the two previous raptors. Firstly the wheel bogies are now spring-loaded, hopefully resulting in a smoother ride experience. Also there are apparent seat and restraint changes also, and likely more that we can't see from this picture.

An interesting point I would like to make is regarding the number of wheels that this ride will have on its trains. Each wheel assembly has 6 wheels, multiplied by 13 (number of rows + zero car) multiplied by 2 = 156 wheels per train. A 36 passenger B&M hyper train only has 120 wheels for comparison. Multiply 156 by 4 and that's 624 wheels, and 104 wheel assemblies between all of the trains! That's crazy!

Last edited: