What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
This is one of the reasons why parks do the main bulk of rides in the closed season. The park is empty and when people come back in the next season it looks amazing compared to what they last saw.
As we're following the construction and it's going quite slow now as they're not showing us what they're doing inside people are getting bored and impatient waiting.
Don't forget, not only are we getting one of the longest Eurofighters, it also has a good layout and decent inversions. The theme is all extra and people are moaning about it before it's even finished.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah Ollie you are so right every year we go back to Thorpe at the start of the year it always looks amazing. The rides are still in bits and the loos still have no locks on the door :)

By the way did anyone read what the inversions are? after reading on here I though it had a dive loop but I read the specs last night and it does not say that anywhere. Its called something else.

Also most people dont care about the station theme, also most people dont care its a long Eurofighter, neither are that good. Had they gone for a good coaster then people would not be moaning. I admit the coaster looks good etc just a shame each corner will seem square. Plus look at the corners in close detail, they are not consistent they are corner straighter part corner.

After seeing what you rode in Germany I am a bit shocked that you love this tbh.

Ollie

CF Legend
I have faith in Thorpe though. It isn't Tussauds anymore where the rides are always late opening late and braking down all the time.
See what merlin have already done for the parks (Mutiny Bay for example).
I'm just not going to knock the ride until I've tried it.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ollie said:
I have faith in Thorpe though. It isn't Tussauds anymore where the rides are always late opening late and braking down all the time.
See what merlin have already done for the parks (Mutiny Bay for example).
I'm just not going to knock the ride until I've tried it.

I'm of the same notion, as far as I'm aware there is going to be a coaster opening later this year at Thorpe Park which is going to be themed to one of my favourite film franchises. And until I have seen and riden the finished product I will not know whether or not it is a good coaster, so judgement is reserved and as Ollie said don't knock it until you've tried it :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Ollie I think you will find things have got worse since Merlin took over, I know people that work for the group in all areas and all there parks and attractions and they have said its got worse, so I dont agree with you there. How many rides broke down at GF? its poor and if Saw keeps breaking down that will confirm how poor. Rage and Speed hardly have any problems.

I could say the same to you guys though, how can you say its great and good before you have been on it?

As for Mutiny Bay is that any good? I thought it was pants. To show how poor it is Martyn walked past it and did not even notice it, that made us all laugh :) Yes the ride is good but thats about it, already the water was green around it and it was not even a year old.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
That isn't themeing, it's a ****ty box, Thorpe Park's closest attempt to anything on the lines of quality themeing was the Volcano built for Nemesis Inferno, which looks cool, and the rest of the ride looks something towads decent, even if it is a bit plain, and I fail to see how this station fit's in with it's closest rides, Colossus and Samurai.

You see, that's the greatness of park's like Phantasialand, it's all so effortless, it all seems like it BELONGS, and fits in and blends, where as Tussauds and Merlins attempts at themeing are generic and poor quality compared to European counterparts at best.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3117.htm

PLEASE NOTE: The above link comtains ACTUALY QUALITY LANDSCAPING AND THEMEING on a roller coaster, Thorpe Park fanboys are encouraged not to look, as a ride that loosk half decent may break their sad sad hearts.

A

Anonymous

It's looking good so far, my only concern is that the station looks a bit, well, lifeless if you know what I mean. Just a tin shed with some painted facades placed around it.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
X said:
It's looking good so far, my only concern is that the station looks a bit, well, lifeless if you know what I mean. Just a tin shed with some painted facades placed around it.

That's the magic of Merlin!

spicy

Giga Poster
I don't understand what everyones moaning about, it looks just like we knew it was going to.

1230.DCONEPLAN.005-001.jpg

Look at the first picture, its the rear of the station. It looks just like it

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1263/saweditml4.jpg

Did you all expect it to look different from the plans or something?

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Yeah but "it" manages to be crappy, and ofcourse they did, it's Thorpe Park, they expected the glorious return to style for the aprk, bringing such quality previous themeing as that used on Stealth.

Oh, wait.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
Blah blah blah.

Does anyone remember that there's still two months to go until opening??? If it looks like this now... I think it's going to be looking pretty funky by opening time.

On another note, look at it this way... If Merlin had just 'plonked' the coaster there with no attempt to theme it, you guys would have gone skitz. (see air) Now, they're trying their best to theme it (probably within the limits the franchise has set) and you guys are slating it off like nobodies business.

You do realise that just because it isn't a 200ft tall, launched, new concept multilooping, airtime packed, backwards, inverted rollercoaster doesn't mean it's ****???

Comparing it to the rest of the UK Thorpe have made a decent attempt to theme the coaster with a proper defined theme and they're staying true to that theme. Nobody's even seen inside yet?!?!

Can we just stop moaning continuously about what we haven't got and start appreciating the £12million Thorpe have spent?

I personally, think the building, esp. in some recent pics looks like a fantasy-style abandoned warehouse, which is inkeeping with the theme? So what's the issue?

Yeah, sure, it isn't a replica matterhorn, but it isn't called 'SAW GOES SWISS: The Ride'.

Harvey said:
You see, that's the greatness of park's like Phantasialand, it's all so effortless, it all seems like it BELONGS, and fits in and blends, where as Tussauds and Merlins attempts at themeing are generic and poor quality compared to European counterparts at best.

Also, last time I went to Phantasialand... I walked 100m down a stretch of track and seemed to go through a morph of 'Far East' 'Castle' and 'Wild West' areas... Yeah, the themeing at Phantasialand is beautiful, but they rarely theme more than two rides of the same theme... so I wouldn't exactly say the Black Mamba BELONGS right next to a castle and a wild wild west coaster.

X wrote:

Ususally abandoned warehouses are pretty lifeless.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Also, last time I went to Phantasialand... I walked 100m down a stretch of track and seemed to go through a morph of 'Far East' 'Castle' and 'Wild West' areas... Yeah, the themeing at Phantasialand is beautiful, but they rarely theme more than two rides of the same theme... so I wouldn't exactly say the Black Mamba BELONGS right next to a castle and a wild wild west coaster.

Yeah it's split into areas, mainly, but the fact that it flows well is the key, you can't segregate different areas with massive walls or barriers, don't be ridiculous. I'd say the main exception being Black Mamba, but none the less, if a park want's to PLONK a ride in a close proximity to others, why not make it look good, not an eyesore like that shed clearly is.

I'd love to see this ride looking fantastic but let's face the fact's, Merlin and Thorpe Park have never been themeing powerhouses, and from what we have seen thus far that has not changed one jot.

A

Anonymous

coasterdude_1 said:
X wrote:

Ususally abandoned warehouses are pretty lifeless.

I appreciate that, and I'm not expecting the magic of Disney or anything. IMO it just looks a little too lifeless at the moment, and the fake window doesn't help either (See earlier picture). Also, I think parts of it look a little like a patchwork quilt as well, where the panels have been put on.

I'm not doubting the ride at all, I think it's a great addition to TP, I'm just not wholely convinced on the theme. They are starting to get better though at the theming, I will give them that. Stealth does fit quite nicely into Amity Cove with what they have done, and the effort that went into the Fright Nights last year as well also proves this. Time will tell, and in 2/3 months time we shall see what they have provided for us.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Harvey said:
I'd love to see this ride looking fantastic but let's face the fact's, Merlin and Thorpe Park have never been themeing powerhouses, and from what we have seen thus far that has not changed one jot.

So why moan? If you didn't expect much, surely you shouldn't be moaning, as it's just what you got. (In your opinion).

Harvey

Hyper Poster
So why moan? If you didn't expect much, surely you shouldn't be moaning, as it's just what you got. (In your opinion).

Personally, I just like coming here and noting with pleasure the reaction of the legions of saddened fanboys, and you'll note I personally am not moaning about the themeing, I'm pointing out to those that ARE moaning, that they should never have expected much due to Merlin/Thorpes previous work.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Fair enough Harvey.

I'm just sick of everyone moaning. It's Thorpe park, not Disney, if you want excellent themeing, go there.

If you want a fairly good coaster (from what I can assume) with a loosely themed station and queue, go to Thorpe.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Can everyone stop saying Tussauds are the same as Merlin now btw... Stop using Air and other rides as comparisons, they aren't good ones...

Merlin are a different company, rides done before have been designed and built in different circumstances in the majority...

Only thing that can be compared is Mutiny Bay, which I adored, and hoped that this would continue into all the additions... Atm, the Sea-Life theming at Chessie is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.