What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you missed the point of the looks of the two in comparison...

I'm not bitching about it being a shed, I'm bitching about how it looks...

CTC-2156-image9.jpg

That's a real one there, as considering this is supposed to be an old western style warehouse (I would assume, but Thorpe evidently don't seem to be caring about theming rides to the correct areas anymore :roll:), even without it being western Mystery Mine looks tonnes more realistic in comparison

The materials on Mystery Mines' sheds look better and more realistic, but i still think Saw The Ride's overall "shed layout" looks more like the real sheds.

Maybe the front will look better?

As I said before though, the shed for Saw is just like a garden shed. Metal frame with wood paneld slotted in the runners, very square in shape so its not to hard to make.

At least they have tried I suppose.

The station building/shed doesn't do a lot for me. It could look better but then again, it could look worse...
To me, the building doesn't look completed. Is it? The top 1/5 has wood built over the metal but the rest of the building below hasn't. Are they going to finish it later, or have they already finished?
I'm just glad that more pictures have surfaced.

Like Marc said I would actually wait until we see the front area before making any judgements. It could be a case of the back section being done last or they are doing the wooden panels from the top section down.

From the look of that door area where the hole is, it appears they are covering the steel structure with wooden panels. Maybe they will continue this all over the building.

Will anyone be able to see that bit of it from the park? I hope they don't leave it like that, but if it can't be seen from the park, then they might just concentrate on the front.

^ Or, maybe they are concentrating on the front and leaving the back for later because we can't see the front?

Nemesis Inferno said:
CTC-2156-image9.jpg

That's a real one there, as considering this is supposed to be an old western style warehouse

Bearing in mind that this is suppose to be where jigsaw lives/plans his traps. You wouldn't live there, would you?

they are only coating it with metal first so that it is water proof. then they can coat it with whatever they want. and the older and more worn the wood gets the better the station will look.

In all fairness Thorpe have actually kept the building appropriately designed/"themed" to the Saw franchise :lol:

You guys must remember they might be future proofing the ride by not adding as much themeing. As when the SAW franchise is over (or pulled) they might have to remove a lot of the themeing, which could prove expensive.

Just an thought...

Dave said:
You guys must remember they might be future proofing the ride by not adding as much themeing. As when the SAW franchise is over (or pulled) they might have to remove a lot of the themeing, which could prove expensive.

Being Thorpe I doubt that, during fright nights last year they STILL had Ribena berries in the rapids :lol:

... so if the Saw part of the ride is removed/ended then all the stuff will stay the same me thinks :wink:

jokerman said:
Who said that's where he lives?
Aaawww! I read it somewhere! where was it!? uuuummmm... There it is!

marcV from south parks forum said:
Wouldn't you know it, there's a different article (and some different pictures) present in Empire's actual magazine. Nothing we haven't seen before though.

"They say that horror films take you on a ride. Well, under construction right now at Surrey's Thorpe Park is a ride that will take you on a horror film. The Saw rollercoaster [sic], based on the grisly scare franchise, opens in March 2009...and we've got hold of some concept art and shots of the ride, including one that appears to show Jigsaw's impish puppet taking a carriage out for a spin. [It doesn't. Calm down there.] 'The track will go through a building themed as a rustic sawmill,' says Gareth Arculus, of Thorpe Park's PR team. 'You start in Jigsaw's lair, then ride three sensational inversions and a 100 degree plunge from 100 feet, the steepest freefall drop in the world. I couldn't possibly tell you what lies in wait at the bottom of that drop...'"

^Not convinced. To be honest there is a part of me that says the inside theme will not be connected to the outside theme.

The biggest thing that strikes me about that shed is not how detailed it looks, but how square it is. Realism be damned, a theme park is meant to be an escapist, exaggerated land.

No castle would ever be so epically badly constructed as Sleeping Beauty's castle, but Disney understood exactly how to build a theme park castle. Similarly, Dollywood have got a perfect exaggerated haunted mine. Thorpe has built us a large rectangular warehouse that could well have been a relic from the former gravel quarry. So I'm not fussed how accurately they make the fascias look, it's still the wrong shape and size and looks cheap and nasty.

jokerman said:
^Not convinced. To be honest there is a part of me that says the inside theme will not be connected to the outside theme.

Thorpe Park announced it as well, it is where Jigsaw lives.

You will probably just see the metal when inside the station and the wood out side.

I hope they have good air con as its going to get very hot in the summer. Is it real wood they are using though? or is it plastic made to look like wood.

As I said before this is the back so the front might have more shape.

Stone Cold said:
The biggest thing that strikes me about that shed is not how detailed it looks, but how square it is. Realism be damned, a theme park is meant to be an escapist, exaggerated land.

No castle would ever be so epically badly constructed as Sleeping Beauty's castle, but Disney understood exactly how to build a theme park castle. Similarly, Dollywood have got a perfect exaggerated haunted mine. Thorpe has built us a large rectangular warehouse that could well have been a relic from the former gravel quarry. So I'm not fussed how accurately they make the fascias look, it's still the wrong shape and size and looks cheap and nasty.
That's my issue, too.

In one post people are complaining about fears of the tin shed being visible, like on Inferno. And then they complain that it doesn't look realistic enough?

Personally, I think it looks like it's coming along nicely... but I wanted something a bit more outrageous and fantastical like the concept art suggested. A place that could clearly never function as an actual logging mill, but you'd still believe subconsciously that it could do.

The size of the building makes it look badly planned. Like, they made a layout, then just stuck a box over it. Not worked both elements out. I'm sure they probably did do, but the results often lie about the method. And these results give hints of bad planning. The shed is distracting from the external ride. Maybe that was the point. Who knows.

I drove past Thorpe on New Years Day and it looks much better in real life than those photos make out to be. I could see slightly further round the front than those photos show and the themeing seems to be more detailed and bulked out there.
Don't forget that you don't go round the back that much apart from a small section of queue line so they aren't going to spend to much themeing it. Disney don't theme anything that the riders don't see. Look at the park from above and it looks like lots of metal boxes, and if you see videos and photos of people in Disneyland walking where guests don't usually go then the themeing just stops and it becomes a plain wall. You don't need to theme what people aren't going to see. Look at Inferno. The themeing that you can see is crap and really fake looking. But above the themeing the station is just a red box covered in plaster stuff.

Like others I say we don't pass judgement until the ride is open and we've had a proper look at it.
Also whoever was talking about cars. They have had photos taken off them but they haven't been posted on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.