What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
I don't think that is necessarily true to be fair though.

Quite often we get American visitors at Madame Tussauds who ask how easy it is to get to Thorpe and so on from London because they have seen it advertised. Day trips are very much possible for them. That is no different from me driving up to Magic Mountain when I am staying in Anaheim or driving down to Busch Gardens when I am actually staying right in Disney World. (As we know many many tourists actually do, not just enthusiasts).

I think to basically imply: why would anyone from North America visit one of the UK's crappy small "amusement parks" is a bit harsh to be honest. Now I am the first to pull up and say that I think Thorpe has some major issues but whether I like it or not. the park is style better run and in general a much better park then quite a large number of the sum 59 I've been to. Bigger is not always better. Regardless of what they have in their hometown, some people just like to experience something different. Holidays do that.

However, I agree that I doubt it will be something they advertise on a global scale with the film. Purely because they don't need to as it wouldn't necessarily help to market the film. What they are more likely to do is include information about the ride in the form of bonus features on a DVD release. Maybe it willl be some kind of documentary about the rise of the Saw movies and they will mention how it even includes a ride etc etc. They did similar with The Mummy ride and the film. I still have the DVD with the early computer render animation of what it would all look like.

A

Anonymous

SAW said:
Stealth.thorpe said:
Ian said:
What I'm waiting for is for new peopel to sign up on CF with the word "Saw" in thier username. "Saw2009", "ThorpeSaw" and so forth.
Bit like me then :p But I was with the blue and white ride instead.

I had a laugh on my own this morning when I told Ciall, he was just happy he guessed the name though :roll:

I personally hate the name, I would be happier if they dropped "The Ride" part, but I can't do anything about it so eh.

If they can pull it off then hooray, Thorpe did something right! Still I will be there opening day, even though it's probably a school day (feck school)

Opens to the GP on saturday the 14th march
In my opinion, why SATURDAY the 14th?!
They could have it open FRIDAY the 13th (fits in with the horror theme and the 13 theme)

Otherwsie, I look forward to this ride. Jigsaw could of converted an old mill into his surroundings, maybe to cause confusion?

marc

CF Legend
Taylor,

That park has worse rides than Thorpe yet people go, so when people from other countries visit the UK they do go to Thorpe.

You have need been there so you really have no idea what the park is like :) Yes its not a great park but it does have some quality rides, and if people dont go they are missing out.

I agree that I prefer some parks in the USA, but I also find Thorpe better than some of the parks I have been to in the USA.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Hyde244 said:
Ploddish said:
Second fastest, and second tallest :razz:
What is the tallest and fastest then?

I could've sworn I had my facts straight! :lol:

Speed is 15ft taller, a lot faster and just 3 degrees less steep :p

Yay for Thorpe being YE OLDE FAYLE.

Oh, and Eurofighters don't hurt me at all. I really can't see why people complain about roughness :p

marc

CF Legend
They are not rough, I just tend to bang my head on the back of the seat. Its my height that gives me the problem. But Eurifighters do go round corners rather square so you get bashed about.

Rage has got better this year but last year it really did hurt me.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
And if Flamingoland get the El Loco Thorpe won't be breaking ANY records...

Hehehe...

Btw, I'm still thinking the ride will be good, just the general choice of theme has disappointed me... I still have decent hopes considering I liked Speed, hopefully will do Rage before the season's out, since it's either that or this as my 150th, and I know which one I'd prefer ;)

jokerman

Giga Poster
Didn't someone post earlier saying that those El Loco coasters don't count because of the brakes on them, making it a controlled drop?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
But the Eurofighter drops are only as fast as the chain and then gravity allows...

Looking at this...

steel_hawg_-_indiana_beach__2008.07.15__-_08_696.jpg

I can see the brakes acting more like trims, making sure not too much speed is picked up in order to make the ride smoother and what-not...

In theory, due to gravity, all drops are controlled, and that's a really petty arguement imo :p

marc

CF Legend
The new coaster Flamingo Land are getting might not have the trims though, we dont even know the layout yet.

Trimmed or not the drop is still steeper than Thorpes.

Maybe Thorpe will do a Blackpool :)

Lofty

CF Legend
And lie about the coaster?

:lol:

I hope they really do theme this to its true potential! They could make it the best themed coaster in our country by far with this whole 'SAW' slant on things, they could also make the area so eerie!

Lets hope they do!

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
The great thing about Flamingo Land announcing this ride is that it will anger Thorpe.

Has the time finally arrived that parks will now be looking to out-do each other and no longer settle for second best?

This can only be good thing as the major parks will no longer be resting on their laurels. The standard of rides could really soar in the UK.

Bring on Flamingo Land v Alton Towers in 2010. 8)

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Good points Nathan.

I dont see Flamingo Land marketing as much as Thorpe Park, which is why this sudden announcement isnt 100% bad news for Thorpe.

I hope both rides do very well for the parks in question and will hopefully lead to further development in the UK overall.

2009 could be a stepping stone to a very good 2010.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, FL and TP aren't treading on each other's toes - they don't really care massively. Thorpe has 99% of it's visitors from within a 100 miles, as does Flamingoland - the two areas just don't meet.

It's a bit of a pain for Thorpe that they can't claim a Worlds biggest, but they have the Saw franchise, which is a damn big draw anyway. So overall, it'll make little difference, but both will certainly pull in extra crowds they'd usually not have from more local areas.

And FL Vs Alton? :lol: Made me day! :)

Mark

Strata Poster
furie said:
And FL Vs Alton? :lol: Made me day! :)

Could be a whole different topic.....

I've found the whole thing really amusing. I wouldnt be surprised if Flamingoland waited until Thorpe announce it before they pull back their own curtain.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
'In 2009 I will bring ultimate terror to Thorpe Park'

Hahahahahahahah

a 100ft Euro Fighter?

Yeah, ok, maybe you could call Top Thrill Dragster the ultimate terror but not this.

Saw the ride huh, ok.. :|
I hope the bit inside the station is good.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
It is interesting to see how they are going to pull it off.

I've not watched the SAW films, because I am a big wimp and hate anything gorey and jumpy, but it'd be great if the queueline and build up to the ride is actually scary and follows a scary storyline, maybe with the odd live actor or two?

It really is going to be interesting to see how it all fits together.

Status
Not open for further replies.