What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

CF Legend
That's a joke, right?

Someone... please... that... has... to... be...

I...

I...

That's...

So... bad... can't... even...

*dies inside*

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's ok guys it's April....Wait, no it isn't.

Oh. My. Word.

I can't begin to imagine just how much lower Thorpe has suddenly fallen in peoples eyes. Seriously, people were actually warming to this ride. Then they go and do this. I'm actually gobsmacked. I had no idea how stupid they could be. It wouldn't even be that bad if it was a decent film, either. But Saw? It's just rehashed gore for which the majority of the people who would go on it probably wouldn't have seen or cared for it.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
You're all wrong.

Think about the people which mostly visit this park. Badly parented kids who've seen the film and think its MASSIV, your regular young adults who has seen the movies and goes along with their mates for a laugh, and people who think they know about horror and gore films because they've bought the special edition digipack box set DVD. They're gonna love it.

Seeing as they are the people who are making the park money, they're the people that are gonna count.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Shockwave said:
You're all wrong.

Think about the people which mostly visit this park. Badly parented kids who've seen the film and think its MASSIV, your regular young adults who has seen the movies and goes along with their mates for a laugh, and people who think they know about horror and gore films because they've bought the special edition digipack box set DVD. They're gonna love it.

Seeing as they are the people who are making the park money, they're the people that are gonna count.

Suppose you're right. Still though.

Mystery Mine > SAW THE RIDE OMG I'VE SEEN THT FILM ITS AWSUM INNIT BLAD!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^^About as ridiculous as wooden coaster themed to the Terminator if you ask me.

I really don't understand what people were hyping up. Pardon me for hypothesising, but the average IQ of the average person at Thorpe Park can't be that great. They're gonna connect with this because it's pretty simple and pretty easy to associate with.

I think most of us in here could have come up with a better artistic theme with our hands tied behind our back, but almost none of us could sell it to the people who really matter here.

It's not gonna break any seasoned enthusiasts top ten list, but if it makes me jump a little and makes me laugh, I'm probably gonna like it.

Smithy said:
Suppose you're right. Still though.

Mystery Mine > SAW THE RIDE OMG I'VE SEEN THT FILM ITS AWSUM INNIT BLAD!

Yep. And most enthusiasts would probably agree.

As an original idea, Mystery Mine is pretty good. That theming turns what is to be honest a fairly average coaster into a great ride.

But something like Mystery Mine just wouldn't work in Thorpe Park. There's just no connection. But it does work brilliantly in Bible-bashing Tennessee, where the main sort of folk who visit can relate to the storyline and the atmosphere.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think everyone had their hopes up that because it was a cheap ride type, and because Thorpe were gonna spend loads on the themeing, that it would be awesome. This just kind of reeks of cheap. One thing though, would Thorpe have had to pay for the license, or would the film company have paid for sponsership?

Either way, I think everyone got a bit carried away and was a bit too optimisitc. After all, it is Thorpe. One of those decisions that as Shockwave has pretty much said, the enthusiasts won't like but the GP and their target audience will love.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^I should think they'd have bought the license from Lions Gate. I'm pretty sure it's not like a sponsored ride such as Ice Blast/Playstation where a company pays to put their name on the ride. But anyone who can enlighten us, please do!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I can see a SAW theme working out for the coaster, especially for in station/queue theming.

Thorpe Park will officially announce the coaster tomorrow October 13th (today British time).

That YouTube video was uploaded by Thorpe, but launched a bit ahead of the official announcement, considering it links to a sawtheride.com website which is not yet live.

I am admittedly a SAW 1 and 2 fan. I'm sorry, but I can't follow the plot after that to SAW XXXVI. :razz:

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Okay, since I don't have time to wade through 77 pages of utter horse ****, can someone please recap what just happened? I'm surmising from page 1 and page 77 that the thread is basically a bunch of fanboy idiots crap posting and people realizing how much theming a coaster after a stupid gore movie is, but I could be wrong. :/

marc

CF Legend
What a stupid name "Saw the Ride"

People will just call it "Saw"

The film franchise is not that good or big in 10 years time people wont even be talking about the films.

I am sure someone said near the start of the thread they expect a "Saw" film theme.

Beans

Hyper Poster
To be fair it at least we have a new ride to look forward to riding, and we know a bit more about it than we did Stealth, I don't think we can judge it before we ride it.

I'm just looking forward to the finished product and going to ride it next year, then we can all pass judgemnet on it.

Go Saw The Ride!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Couldn't agree more. I don't think this is the best idea ever. If it was named something else, not related to the film at all, then it would be another step in making this ride better.

The name is ****.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yet worse, in all caps? Nononononononoonooooooooo!!!one!!!

What were Thorpe smoking? I have a passionate hate for sponsorship names (including Hulk, Superman, Batman, etc.), and now Thorpe has joined the fun too. Any original story would have been wonderful, even the kiosk staff could have made a decent story over a weekend, but instead we get this. Great.

And it will even keep the Saw franchise alive. Yay.

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
To call this ride Saw is as far fetched as the squeals.....

I'm a massive fan of Saw but only the first, but I'm in the minority (it seems on here) when it comes to just liking the rest of the films.
I agree it's a stupid idea to name Dylan, Saw but I guess it brings in more revenue for both LoinsGate & Thorpe Park - Saw has a big fan base and also a favorite during Halloween........

I honestly don't care much - I'm not in the stereotypical 'chav' population as most of you would like to class me in. I have a high IQ and respectable group of friends, I think we'll all enjoy the ride just because it's JUST a ride.
Your right on one thing, the GP would not care what the ride is called - we don't let names spoil our day out.

Now as speaking as a 'coaster enthusiast' (which is a lost meaning) - I still don't care.

Sean

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Why is it not opening to co-inside with Saw 5? How ****ing retarded can you get. That's poor marketing at it's best. Open a ride themed to a horror film... in happy sunny spring time?

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad though. Theming to a film at least gives them a bench to stand on - but this ride is going to stick out like a saw thumb of irrelevance at Thorpe. I don't think it being themed to the Saw series means it's going to have a visible story that effects ride experience, so that's still safe.

I am massively confused, though...

They're being so specific with who they want as their audience they are risking loosing a lot of people's interest. I wouldn't go to see a Saw film. If this wasn't a coaster, I'd not ride it unless I knew details of any potential gore... And even then it's unlikely.

But other than assuming that the Saw thing is pretty recent design addition (post the ride's plans) - hence explaining the shocking change in style between videos, my biggest beef with this thing is it not opening in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.