What's new

Raptor - B&M 'Wing-Rider' - Gardaland

Martyn B

CF Legend
Whats the deal with the brake run?

Unless I'm being really thick, it looks quite high up compared to the tunnel the train comes out of, and you cant actually see any track that follows from the brake run (in that pov)....does the brake run lower?

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster
^ Its a bit like LC12s brake run and to some extent Furius Baco's which is higher than than the station, must be a wingrider thing

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ nah, the decline isn't as extreme as Furius Baco, but yes it's a little similar to LC12s in the sense that an almost drop-style turn brings it from it's initial brake run to the block/transfer track before the station.

tpr009.jpg

tpr010.jpg

These images may help show what the track does to return to the station.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am intrigued by the station. I guess they have a separate loading and unloading area (a bit like X). So, how many trains does this run? 2 or 3? I guess it should run 3 because one could be loading, the second one on the circuit and the last one in the unloading area but who knows... X was designed to have 3 trains at the same time and I hear it only runs 2...and so was Furius Baco

Bye Tom

Roller Poster
No way! The more I see of this, the more I like it. 0G-ish element looks beautiful and theming/near misses seems awesome.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ooooh I think it looks awesome. I hate the povs though because they always make rides that turn the same direction look worse than they are. You just don't notice so much on ride. And also, the restricted view of the povs is making the seating arrangement awkward. Everyone who rides a coaster with odd seating looks at and admires what's odd about it... not forward.

I don't get all this "B&M's are smooth" bollocks. Because it's not like we lack a rough one in the UK. Nemesis is really quite bad now she's old and grey. And Air rattles like a bitch at the back. Hulk, another B&M that has been ridden by a lot of Brits, is appallingly rough. So yeah, stop deluding yourselves. B&M's may lack the rough jolting found on almost all over companies, but they rattle viciously sometimes, and in my opinion that can be worse. It can completely ruin a good ride.

Also, the level of theming on Raptor's trains is actually... amazing? That's like the highest level of theming the company has ever put into a train design, isn't it?

Those pics coastermaniac94 linked to on TPR are really really good.

Oh I have high hopes for LC12, don't **** it up Thorpe. :p

Wow, those pictures show just how extensive the theming is! That made me a bit more excited to ride it, at least.

Also, the level of theming on Raptor's trains is actually... amazing? That's like the highest level of theming the company has ever put into a train design, isn't it?

Probably. Diamondback has the snake things on the front, but other than that I can't think of any other B&M train that has good theming.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I REALLY like the way this coaster looks.

What will make or break the ride is the transitions between these wide elements, and if roughness will develop over the next couple of years.

But overall, I'm very excited to see reviews of the ride.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
I am going to say that they are solely part of the themeing and have no connection to the actual operation of the ride.

If you think about the story behind the ride, you are riding the "Raptor" a vicious bird that seems to be destroying the lab that has been built to research it. I would think the red blinking lights would be the lab's "emergency alert system" warning that the Raptor has broken out.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The revserse POV on this video makes it look so much fun! better and smoother than the other one (which is strange really...). But it also showcases the theme concept well, even if it's all in Italian.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8ImYaTSlg[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That doesn't look anything like as rough as Furius Baco. :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Best Merlin ride ever... FACT

Honestly, this reminds me a lot of how Tussauds designed Nemesis, Vampire et al with the high amount of theming and pathway interaction it does...

I seriously cannot wait to ride it... Ending my Italy trip with this? WIN!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I think it looks fine. Doesn't seem to vibrate too much, and doesn't look rough.

I wish I could ride more coasters as this looks epic. Can't wait to see Thorpe's.