What's new

Raptor - B&M 'Wing-Rider' - Gardaland

A

Anonymous

You need to use either clamp brakes or friction wheels to fully stop the train, since magnetic brakes can't. And the reason why B&M have decided to use clamp brakes than only friction wheels (like Intamin) is beyond me, maybe it's an extra safety feature since they would be less likely to brake compared to the friction wheel design that B&M uses...

Jer

Strata Poster
loefet said:
some guy over at TheParks.it made a sketch of the layout and I have to say that I agree with him on it.

11t8mde.jpg

Source

If thats the case, where is the drop?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^^In this instance I used the word "block" in regard to the service and saftey brake run. I did not mean the block sections with the trains in sections of the track layout.

Another word would probally be better. I know how block sections work and I wasn't writing about them... you don't need to explain it...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I really hope that the first drop doesn't just swoop down and then back up into the zero g...

Obviously with that camera angle we can't see the position of the footers, but... I'm really hoping it does a bit more than that... That's about the only thing that worries me about this ride...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Insane Speed isn't that short a coaster actually! I was expecting a shorter coaster to compare it with. I think your comparison with Air was going to be more accurate. Interesting.

Either way, I can't wait to see the trains!

EDIT: oh wait, Air is 840m long. haha.. I guess Insane Speed makes good use of it's length.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I'd imagine simulated. It'd require quite a long fin to hit the water below the level of the rider's legs, which could cause issues with that tight gap through the supports.

A

Anonymous

If you look at the clearance gauge that have been pictured at Theparks.it then it seems like the seats will be hanging of the sides.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ I just had a look again (Link). It doesn't overhang that much, it could be a real splashdown. I guess we'd need to identify where the lake will be, as UC said, will it be straight or banked track over it?

A

Anonymous

It's in there all right.
loefet said:
It would be the drawn hill in the middle, I almost suspected it would be like that since the track connectors for the hill were for an inversion instead of a hill.

Who knows it might end up with a fourth one by them adding a Immelmann/Dive-Loop after the first drop...

CPcisco

Mega Poster
:shock: Bravo Gardaland! We need more marketing departments like yours!

Could it have been a possibility that at the time B&M was not quite certain about a third inversion and it was later okayed? That way the ride did not overpromise (kinda like Maverick :?) I believe this is how the Voyage at Holiday World got one of it's three 90 degree banked turns. Yeah I know wood is not the same as steel, but it's the same concept though.

EDIT: Just reread the statement on newsplussnotes.com and it states that the ride will have two zero-g rolls. Before this inversion was put in there was only 1 zero-g roll, the other inversion is a heartline roll. Therefore, this this leads me to believe that the heartline roll might have been a late addition, and could possibility be "Mavericked" if problems arise with it.

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ But then it wouldn't be like Maverick, with just a turn, it would be a long, straight section of track...

tks

Strata Poster
Screw the third (second in sequence) inversion.

Just look at the view in the background. Lake Garda <3

CPcisco

Mega Poster
^ Right UC I was just using it for the late addition idea, not for why it was done, just that it does happen.

Now that I am looking at it, my reasoning does seem a bit flawed as I didn't realize how drawn out that roll was, so I guess the park just didn't announce that they would have a third inversion on the ride. :p Neat surprise that we should have caught after they installed the heartline roll though :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think this looks great. I don't mind that it's going to be gentle like Air, I actually think that's a good thing to be honest, but even if you don't like the thought of how it's going to ride, I think you'll have to admit, it's going to look very sexy.

I can't wait to see the trains now... and then testing!

nadroJ

CF Legend
If an Italian trip doesn't pop up as part of the official CF-Lives next year I will most definitely be interested in organising a mini-Italy trip, yay, this looks friggin' sweet!

Who cares if it's like Air, Air is a nice ride in itself.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
If there was going to be a "water splash simuation" (manta style). I'd say it would be before that second inversion as the banking is similar to that found on manta's one.