What's new

Ranking The MCU So Far

Edward M

Strata Poster
You are WRONG. Worse than Howie and him hating Empire Strikes Back if you can't rate it as number 1 go home.

Screw-you-guys-Im-going-home.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Alright. I wasnt gonna do mine until Infinity War, but the ignorance in here is way too high. Ragnarok isn't too tier. It's 2 movies that are spliced like the human centipede and plays on member berries with the music to make it more enjoyable. We got a :emoji_poop: Planet Hulk and a :emoji_poop: Ragnarok and ended up with a mediocre comedy that does nothing to advance the overarching story until the last scene.

I can't of agree, but also don't... I've been hammering my way through the comics now for a couple of years and... I don't take into account the comics and compare them to the films. I keep the two distinct in my head - I guess like I did reading the Ultimate series or Marvel Zombies (I'm sure that it's going to be Infinity War 2: Zombies!).

So yeah, it was a mix of two great comic series badly stitched together, but I liked that it it was something different and fun. I enjoyed the pace and humour and the cheese. It was good fun, but... I've had no desire to watch it a second time...

I think your list is generally good, but the Avengers films are far too high up. None of them had an threat, character or, well - they were just boring smash-fests with bad CGI. My list would be:

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier - I love the fact it was more a spy thriller than a superhero film
2. Guardians of the Galaxy - charming, light, fun and just really well directed. Piss poor villain though
3. Ant-Man - see above
4. Iron Man - the one that really started it and I think it's a great introduction to the MCU. It's aged badly, but it still deserves a good place.
5. Spiderman: Homecoming - I love Spiderman and this is probably his best film outing. Swung (haha) by my love of the character
6. Doctor Strange - Sandbach Congleton is fab. Ergo, Doctor Strange is fab
7. Black Panther - bit of mystery thriller to break up the smashy smashy.
8. Thor: Ragnarok - cheesy, silly, fun, death and destruction
9. Captain America: Civil War - okay, I like it. It has Spiderman so it gains a couple of places ;)
10. Avengers: Infinity War - great Thanos movie. Thanos is the best Avenger!
11. Captain America: First Avenger - actually much better than everyone remembers it to be :)
12. Thor - I like it. I don't know why. I think it's just something a bit slower paced and different. Also, soft spot for both Michael Strazynski and Kenneth Brannagh
13. Guardians 2 - no plot, poor writing, cheap laughs over any real depth of content.
14. Iron Man 2 - it's a bit ****
15. Thor Dark World - it's a bit ****ter than Iron Man 2
16. Avengers: Assemble - no threat, just "how big can we make things blow up"
17. Avengers: Age of Ultron - more of the above only with bigger blowy ups.
18. Hulk - it's okay until the end really... Kind of... Almost... Okay, it's a big green turd.
19. Iron Man 3 - awful, awful film. I just don't understand why people like it. The plot is telegraphed from the start and it just descends into utter madness of "more is more!!!" that just doesn't work (which is why I think Ant Man and Winter Soldier do work, as the dial it all back in).

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Top 3

Infinity War-
Loved this one, Thanos was great and the ending was just so unexpected and the interations between the characters were really fun

Thor: Ragnarok- Didn't expect anything of it but really enjoyed it, was fun throughout with great action scenes. Think Thor is slowly becoming my favourite avenger

Winter Soldier- Well acted, good story and great action

Bottom 3

Spiderman: homecoming-
Just didn't like it, the films with Tobey Maguire were better. Don't like the kid who plays him, thought the Villain was terrible and just didn't enjoy it at all

Iron Man 2- Pretty poor, didn't like the villains at all. Just a big miss after the first one

Iron Man 3- Enough has been said on this already

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Avengers
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Gardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
7. Ant-Man
8. Spider-Man: Homecoming
9. Black Panther
10. Thor: The Dark World
11. Iron Man 2 - Watched it years back when I was younger, don't remember much of it.
So I checked out Doctor Strange for the first time and saw Infinity War a second time. Made a couple other changes, so I think I'm more satisfied with this.

1. Thor: Ragnarok - Recently saw this again as well and I think it's just the most fun for me. Goldblum is the best.
2. Captain America: Civil War - Probably the best action scenes and it has an interesting premise.
3. Avengers: Infinity War - Lots of action, lots of jokes, great villain, it just has it all. Hype has kind of worn off so I think this is a fair placement.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy - Really enjoyable throughout, funny group of characters, and obviously great soundtrack.
5. Gardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - Decided to bump this up a couple spots. It might even be funnier than the first one, I think I just prefer the storyline of the original.
6. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Recently been wanting to see it again. Thought it was a nice movie when I first saw it but looking back it's actually pretty good. Tom Holland is great as Spidey.
7. Avengers: Age of Ulron - I should probably give this another watch, been a couple years. I quite enjoyed it at the time.
8. Avengers - Saw bits of this recently, mainly the climax, which wasn't as great as I remember. Maybe loses some of the impact it once had, so it slipped down. Still solid.
9. Ant-Man - Has some pretty fun and imaginative shenanigans. Looking forward to the sequel.
10. Doctor Strange - It was alright. I really liked the first half hour or so but I had hard time following the plot.
11. Black Panther - I think I'd I probably enjoy more on a second viewing, but I didn't think it was that great. Didn't really find it that interesting.
12. Iron Man 2 - Well I don't remember much of it but I think I'd rather watch this over Thor 2.
13. Thor: The Dark World - Boring.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers OG
3. Black Panther
4. Civil War
5. Infinity War
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Iron Man
8. Spiderman: Homexoming
9. Iron Man 2
10. Doctor Strange
11. Ant-Man
12. Captain America First Avenger
13. Ragnarok
14. Thor
15. Guardians 2
16. Ultron
17. Thor Dark World
18. Hulk
19. Iron Man 3

I'm struggling where to place IW. After 2 viewings, it has its flaws, mainly lack of use of some characters, but it does other aspects so well. It's definitely better than Guardians, maybe Civil War, and possibly Black Panther. Those three are real close, but everything is chasing Winter Soldier.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I recently collated the reviews of all the MCU films on the website I contribute to, which can be seen in these three posts:
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-review-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-1/
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-2/
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-review-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-3/
(mine are the reviews by Mat)

In terms of personally ranking them, I'd go something like:

1. Captain America: Civil War (great because it doesn't have a stupid villain that you know is going to die at the end)
2. Avengers: Infinity War (great because it has a villain with depth that doesn't die at the end)
3. Iron Man
4. The Avengers
5. Spiderman: Homecoming
7. Thor
8. Ant-Man
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (don't understand the love for this - it's pretty dull)
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Iron Man 3 (based on one viewing so need to see it again)
14. Iron Man 2
15. Doctor Strange
16. Thor: Ragnarok (too much comedy in my opinion)
17. The Incredible Hulk
18. Thor: The Dark World (boring!)

Haven't seen Black Panther yet because I can't take the character seriously with his pathetic little claws!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I recently collated the reviews of all the MCU films on the website I contribute to, which can be seen in these three posts:
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-review-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-1/
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-2/
http://www.moviemuse.net/boxset-review-marvel-cinematic-universe-phase-3/
(mine are the reviews by Mat)

In terms of personally ranking them, I'd go something like:

1. Captain America: Civil War (great because it doesn't have a stupid villain that you know is going to die at the end)
2. Avengers: Infinity War (great because it has a villain with depth that doesn't die at the end)
3. Iron Man
4. The Avengers
5. Spiderman: Homecoming
7. Thor
8. Ant-Man
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (don't understand the love for this - it's pretty dull)
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Iron Man 3 (based on one viewing so need to see it again)
14. Iron Man 2
15. Doctor Strange
16. Thor: Ragnarok (too much comedy in my opinion)
17. The Incredible Hulk
18. Thor: The Dark World (boring!)

Haven't seen Black Panther yet because I can't take the character seriously with his pathetic little claws!

Can't speak for anyone else but for me personally what makes that movie so special to me is it's a Great Spy Movie first, then a super hero movie, It's actually a trend among a vast majority of my highly rated MCU movies, Xmovie first, superhero movie second. EX Ant Man is a heist movie then a superhero film. Black Panther, Political drama then superhero movie. Guardians. Sci-Fi comedy, then Superhero movie etc.

Edward M

Strata Poster
While I'm tired of Marvel and am feeling superhero fatigue pretty intensely right now, they are killing in every respect. They produce quality popcorn entertainment, and, for that, they're fantastic.
  1. Black Panther
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  4. Avengers
  5. Avengers: Infinity War - As a film buff, I've never seen a movie franchise culminate quite like this. There's so many characters, yet it rarely feels bogged down. The focus on Thanos was smart, and, while it has many problems, I enjoyed it for the risks it took.
  6. Iron Man
  7. Spiderman: Homecoming
  8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  9. Thor: Ragnarok
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Captain America: Civil War
  12. Ant-Man and the Wasp - was good fun and a great choice to follow up to the intense Infinity War. A bit lacking overall and am already forgetting it despite having seen it about 5 hours ago.
  13. Iron Man 3
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. The Incredible Hulk
  17. Iron Man 2
  18. Captain America 1
  19. Thor
  20. Thor: The Dark World

Snoo

The Legend
Since I haven't yet.. here are my rankings. I don't have a favorite but I do sort my movies by how much I loved them/can rewatch them.

Fantastic/Very Rewatchable:
The Avengers
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Spiderman: Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok

Great:
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America First Avenger
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Average:
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Thor

Not very good:
Guardians Vol 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

JSM

Mega Poster
I'm going to put mine in categories as well since I really don't love ranking things
Great
-The Avengers
-Guardians of the Galaxy
Good
-Iron Man
-Captain America: The Winter Soldier
-Captain America: Civil War
-Guardians of the Galaxy 2
-Thor: Ragnarok
Okay
-Iron Man 3
-Avengers: Age of Ultron
-Ant-Man
-Doctor Strange
-Spider-man: Homecoming
Meh
-
Iron Man 2
-Thor
-Captain America: The First Avenger
-Thor: The Dark World
Haven't Watched
-Incredible Hulk
-Ant-Man and the Wasp
Need to Rewatch
-Black Panther
-Infinity War

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Finished my MCU re-watch. Final Rankings

Black Panther
Ant Man
Guardians of The Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnarok
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The first Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
New in Bold

Black Panther
Ant Man
Guardians of The Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnarok
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Doctor Strange
Ant Man and the Wasp
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The first Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Thor: The Dark World

Finally feel like i've digested Infinity War and it's been long enough i'm not on post viewing high to properly insert it in my rankings as for Ant Man and the Wasp, I love the original ant man, probably way more then i should, and the sequel did have everything that made the first movie so good in my mind, except the heist, and it was just more of the what was already done so like Guardians 2 I downgrade it somewhat for it not being as original.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
1. Avengers Infinity War
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
3. Thor Ragnarok
4. Iron Man 3
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Ant-Man & The Wasp
7. Ant-Man
8. Black Panther
9. Avengers Age of Ultron
10. Spider-Man Homecoming
11. Captain America a Civil War
12. Captain America The Winter Soldier
13. Iron Man
14. Doctor Strange
15. Iron Man 2
16. Captain America The First Avenger
17. Thor The Dark World
18. The Avengers
19. Thor
20. The Incredible Hulk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
1. Avengers Infinity War
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
3. Thor Ragnarok
4. Iron Man 3
6. Ant-Man & The Wasp
7. Ant-Man
8. Black Panther
11. Captain America a Civil War
13. Iron Man
14. Doctor Strange
15. Iron Man 2
17. Thor The Dark World
18. The Avengers
19. Thor
20. The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3 in top 5. Ballsy

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Soo I've finally watched every single MCU Film and TV show so here's my list of everything.

Film

1. Infinity War
2. Ragnorok
4. Black Panther
5. Ant Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
7. Doctor Strange
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Winter Soldier
10. Ant Man And The Wasp
11. Age Of Ultron
12. Avengers
13. Captain America
14. Thor
15. The Dark World
16. Civil War
17. Iron Man 2
18. Iron Man
19. Iron Man 3
20. Hulk

ABC
1. Agents Of Shield
2. Inhumans
3. Agent Carter

Netflix
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil
3. Punisher
4. Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist
6. Defenders

And the other 2 which were amazing. Cloak and Dagger and Runaways.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Soo just got back from Captain Marvel midnight release so here’s my updated rankings.

Film

1. Infinity War
2. Ragnorok
4. Black Panther
5. Ant Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
7. Doctor Strange
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Winter Soldier
10. Ant Man And The Wasp
11. Age Of Ultron
12. Avengers
13. Captain America
14. Thor
15. The Dark World
16. Civil War
17. Captain Marvel
18.Iron Man 2
19.Iron Man
20.Iron Man 3
21. Hulk

ABC
1. Agents Of Shield
2. Inhumans
3. Agent Carter

Netflix
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil
3. Punisher
4. Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist
6. Defenders

And the other 2 which were amazing. Cloak and Dagger and Runaways.

So what did I think of it controversial but it’s one of those films that is so bad it’s good there’s some laughable moments and it does piece a lot of the things you’ve wondered over the years together. Highlight of it was Goose and Fury. The Mid and Post Credit Scenes are fantastic and perfectly tease what’s to come and I shall leave it at that because of Spoilers.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Avengers Infinity War
4. Iron Man 3
6. Ant-Man & The Wasp
7. Ant-Man
8. Black Panther
11. Captain America Civil War
13. Captain Marvel
14. Iron Man
15. Doctor Strange
17. Iron Man 2
18. Thor The Dark World
19. The Avengers
20. Thor
21. The Incredible Hulk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Watched them all. The only standouts, for various reasons, were:
Captain America: Winter Soldier - spy thriller as many have mentioned
Guardians of the Galaxy - different and funny
Ant-Man - lots of fun with a few laughs
Iron Man - first of the lot, so fresh at the time
Spiderman: Homecoming - best of the spidey flix
Doctor Strange - didn't think they could pull it off, but did a decent job of it
Thor: Ragnarok - silly fun
Black Panther - although extremely overrated
However, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the best of all DCU movies by miles.
As far as TV, I watched them all in their entirety other than Iron Fist (barely made it through season 1) and I would not have watched a second season of the Defenders. Punisher is the only one I would have watched another season of, although Jessica Jones wasn't as bad as the others.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Marvel's The Avengers - I still love the hype train that built into this one. The Avengers joining for the first time, after then years of build-up. If only we really appreciated how this was the first of three phases.
2. Thor: Ragnarok - The movie Thor always deserved. I really love Ragnorak as it's the one movie that stuck closest to the comic, especially in terms of art director and cinematography. And who doesn't like Jeff Goldblum as a bad guy?
3. Captain America: Civil War - Really loved the story arc, and mini-Avengers movie they packed in. Very critical point in the Avengers story, with a fantastic rumble fight sequence.
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - This was when Captain America really became badass in my mind. Really enjoyed unpacking more of Hydra's backstory, and the downfall of SHIELD.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy - The spinoff spoof that really, really worked.
6. Black Panther - I've really loved how T'Challa has been developed into the Marvel universe, probably the strongest of "late comer" Avengers.
7. Captain Marvel - Hey! You can still do an origin story in Phase 3!
8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - A solid sequel, and love unpacking more of the "space" element for the Marvel universe. Also introduced us to the concept of Jump Points, which helps make the MCU far more navigable as we move from Earth to Asgard to space. There's more than one way (bifrost) to get around!
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming - I have to admit, this is my favorite Spiderverse: Peter Parker with mechanical web slingers and young Aunt May. Best spider man since the OG Sony.
10. Avengers: Infinity War - It's a downer, but well done.
11. Ant-Man - It's a second tier Avenger that doesn't get enough credit. Ant-man is a perfectly good movie, and still far better than much of the DC work.
12. Iron Man 2 - I have a nerd boner for Iron Man 2 as it was when we first really started piecing together the formation of the Avengers. That drunk Tony Stark scene though still merits a lot of negative points though.
13. Thor: The Dark World - I wanted to like this movie so much, getting to venture world's colliding and Jane getting possessed by the reality stone. Better than the original Thor, but not by much.
14. Doctor Strange - Same as Thor: The Dark World, I really wanted to like Doctor Strange, as he is one of the more interesting Avengers in terms of background and power. Still, the plot felt a bit meddling, and bald Tilda Swinton didn't exactly work out.
15. Captain America: The First Avenger - It's fine as an origin story, but Captain America headed for far greater action and adventure in subsequent movies.
16. Ant-Man and the Wasp - Same as the original Ant-Man, really. But at least it answers how Ant-Man is still around post Infinity Wars.
17. Iron Man - It's the very first Avengers movie, which makes it great. And Jeff Bridges as the bad guy? Even better. But hey, there's now a lot better movies.
18. Avengers: Age of Ultron - Ugh, Ultron is cool as a bad guy in concept, and we got the Vision. Still, the final action sequence felt like there was a lot left to be desired. And some random plot threads too, such as going to Wakanda, picking up the twins, and remains of Hydra?
19. Iron Man 3 - could have ended in 15 minutes by giving the "House Party" command. And the Mandarin is such a better villain than what they gave!
20. Thor - It was boring, let's be honest. Also, while we're at it; how crap is the Asgard Vault? Like, everyone keeps breaking into it, stealing the Infinity Gauntlet, Tesseract, and the literal defense system. So much of the MCU would be better if it wasn't for Thor and his meddlesome gods.
21. The Incredible Hulk - Edward Norton, you can do better. (Still better than Eric Bana though)

Snoo

The Legend
Update after watching Captain Marvel. I quite liked it.

Fantastic/Very Rewatchable:

The Avengers
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Spiderman: Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok

Great:
Captain America First Avenger

Average: