What's new

'Rage of the Gargoyles' VR at Six Flags

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: VR for SFGAm's Demon & SFDK's Kong

Sorry to double post, but just to let everyone know, this is VR will also be going to Skull Mountain at SFGAdv, Kong at SFDK, Shockwave at SFOT, Ninja at SFStL, Steamin' Demon at SFGE, Dare Devil Dive at SFOG, and Goliath at La Ronde. It also states that this will be the first 'Fully-integrated Gaming Roller Coaster experience'. So I assume that you will be able to interact with the environment all throughout the coaster, not just the lift hill.

At least you can do Something, and not just watch a terrible animation.

Ben

CF Legend
OMG VR on Kong, ah hahaha.

That would be **** gross.

Like just putting a sack on your head and getting beaten up.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^My thinking is how I'm not positive they could take that. The headset seemed incredibly cheap and flimsy at SFNE, like if some idiot turns their head during the ride the wrong way and gets hit I wouldn't be surprised to see cracked plastic or something. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see headbanging break VR sets made of the cheap plastic they were using at SFNE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't New Revolution also allow you to interact with the environment? Like I thought you could shoot the aliens on Dare Devil Dive?

And just so you know, I don't think it's going away at all. At SFNE they seemed really determined to make VR work and seemed very open to our feedback and suggestions for how to solve the various issues it was creating. At least the park staff at SFNE seemed set on getting it to work well and efficiently.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
New Revolution allows you to shoot targets on the lift. This will be interactive the entire way.

I'm considering getting the T-Shirt for the special event, as I hear that Justice League's T-Shirt event had no more than 30 people.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Not sure which choice is more stupid… VR on a big popular mega coaster or VR on an SLC. Obviously VR on an SLC could be one of the worst experiences ever, but you also don't want to put VR on your popular Intamin or B&M mega.
Jarrett said:
At least the park staff at SFNE seemed set on getting it to work well and efficiently.
Didn't seem like it from my experience. But I get what you mean… we'll see how they do in the future.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Not just any SLC either. Kong. One of the absolute worst.

I thought it couldn't get any more stupid than putting it on old Arrow/Vekoma loopers, and then this happens.

Idiots.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I don't know which is the biggest travesty out of VR on coasters, the GOTG TOT retheme, chips in buckets, cocktails in jam jars and THAT THING the disney guy had in his ear!

I'd feed all the responsible people to some lions/tigers/crocodiles etc..

Hobbes

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Dare Devil Dive at SFOG
Don't eurofighters already have pretty mediocre capacity? This VR crap kills rides with good capacity, who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Hobbes said:
GuyWithAStick said:
Dare Devil Dive at SFOG
Don't eurofighters already have pretty mediocre capacity? This VR crap kills rides with good capacity, who the hell thought this was a good idea?
The same people who advertised Larson Superloops as new "coasters."

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So there's 10 minutes left of the ERT. And they haven't even opened the ride. We're all getting a full refund, an exit pass for the VR, and two other exit passes. The whole event was a mess.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Hutch

Strata Poster
Hobbes said:
GuyWithAStick said:
Dare Devil Dive at SFOG
TBH, now that I think about it, dispatch times on something like Dare Devil and other low capacity rides won't (ahem, shouldn't) take as long as other rides like the hypers, simply because there're less goggles to check. But yeah, the line will probably be long af anyway because of the low capacity.

I really hope they come to their senses soon and realize that this is all just a huge mess, with all the problems, complaints, and experiences I'm hearing about.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Yeah, each individual train dispatch won't take as long as a hyper, but each individual train dispatch only has 1/5 of the people of a hyper. The impact the goggles have on the capacity will be about the same I would imagine, but that's made worse because the capacity was crap in the first place.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm taking another look at that list of coasters using the VR, and it seems like Shockwave at SFOT is the only "good" choice for VR. Seems like a fine enough ride, probably not too popular to begin with.

But pretty much all the other coasters they've chosen to have VR on are either really good/popular rides or vile contraptions. The other weird choice is Skull Mountain. Chances are the headset will crap out and it'll still be like an indoor coaster, so why bother.

Seriously what we're they thinking…

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Why would the headset "crap out" on Skull Mountain?

Hutch

Strata Poster
They did on my ride on Superman, and they have been shutting off on plenty of other people's rides on other SF VR coasters.

I'm not saying they'll simply not work on Skull Mountain specifically, but considering what we've heard about them shutting off during other coasters, it's inevitable that it may happen to some people.