What's new

PortAventura | Ferrari Land | New Area

oriolat2

Giga Poster
And... up we go. The first support was erected today...

th720_51303d0591098a017d7bb737a40549d3.jpg

Source: pa-community

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Bitch :lol:

I'm just excited to see this structure go up, I love these sort of 'tower' elements being constructed because of the different stages in which they reach for the sky, you can guarantee that the topics always go the same way: Great! First stage done... Oh, that's looking high, fantastic... Oh wow, that's higher than expected... Blah blah blah.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm still finding it hard to get excited over a smaller, slower version of a ride they've had in the States for more than a decade.

Like I just know already it'll be Dragster/Ka but not as good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Same, but I also need Shambhala in my life, so adding this gives me a stronger incentive for a Barcelona revisit than just one coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
gavin said:
^ Same, but I also need Shambhala in my life, so adding this gives me a stronger incentive for a Barcelona revisit than just one coaster.
I agree. I think I might revisit Barcelona for this, Shambhala and also to get the Tibidabo creds - would make a nice trip.

It's unlikely I'd go if this was the only thing in the area...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Vertical construction should begin any time now, since we now have supports and track onsite.

th720_ce917b99c865af12f15d8e03f1c555a0.jpg

We already knew supports were going to be red, but... black track? Was anybody expecting this? I admit it's going to look a lot better than having a humongous red tower on a car park.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FOv7uvIjBg[/youtube] In this video you can see some close-up shots of the track and supports.

Source: PA-Community & WorldofParks

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm wondering if the entire track will be black or whether that is merely for say transfer track, or station etc.?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
I'm wondering if the entire track will be black or whether that is merely for say transfer track, or station etc.?
I hope so - I don't really like the idea of black track with red supports. The other way round, maybe? I think I'd like that better.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Agreed. I know exactly what you mean. Using black for trck and red for supports emphasises the supports over the track, which we aren't used to with most coasters that have the track as the main focal point and the supports are sort of 'ignored' so to speak. Unless, of course, this was the idea from the park to start with, emphasising the sheer height of the coaster by highlighting the supports in a brighter render to the track, in which case - that's a clever move.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
^ Agreed. I know exactly what you mean. Using black for trck and red for supports emphasises the supports over the track, which we aren't used to with most coasters that have the track as the main focal point and the supports are sort of 'ignored' so to speak. Unless, of course, this was the idea from the park to start with, emphasising the sheer height of the coaster by highlighting the supports in a brighter render to the track, in which case - that's a clever move.
Thing is... TTD has bright yellow supports and red track and stands out wonderfully! I really can't help feeling like the black track (if it does end up being all black) is going to give it a really strange look. It'll end up looking quite dark I think.

Although I'd rather red supports and black track than red supports AND red track... :lol:

andrus

Giga Poster
^But TTD is situated in Sandusky, Ohio? This ride is situated in sunny Catalonia with a bright sky! The comparison is not valid.

I think the bolder colours will look great in the Mediterranean climate! Plus asphalt = black, meaning it's a very logical choice of track colour :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
andrus said:
^But TTD is situated in Sandusky, Ohio? This ride is situated in sunny Catalonia with a bright sky! The comparison is not valid.
Huh?

Sandusky, Ohio:
Top_Thrill_Dragster_828245.jpg

http://roller-coasters.wanderbat.com/l/ ... edar-Point

Catalonia, Spain:
Shambala2.jpg

http://www.portaventura.co.uk/theme-par ... /shambhala

Yeah, nothing like each other... ;)

andrus said:
Plus asphalt = black, meaning it's a very logical choice of track colour :)
This is the only logic I can see, but it doesn't stop me not liking the idea of black track and bright supports. There are loads of coasters themed to cars/races (TTD, Desert Race, Rita, Formula Rossa), none of them have black track. I like to think that's because black track and bright supports would look a bit... odd?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Hixee said:
This is the only logic I can see, but it doesn't stop me not liking the idea of black track and bright supports. There are loads of coasters themed to cars/races (TTD, Desert Race, Rita, Formula Rossa), none of them have black track. I like to think that's because black track and bright supports would look a bit... odd?

42ouX1P.jpg

Clearly it's dark gray. :wink:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I take it back! I was mistaken. I had it in my head it was blue.

Funnily enough, I dislike Desert Race's colour scheme now you point it out. :lol:

andrus

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
Yeah, nothing like each other... ;)
Haha, of course I've never been to Ohio :p But since they got such problems with ride closures due to rain I assumed a more common scenario than that one above would be:
wpid-wp-1437787478118.jpeg

Anyway, no matter how unaccurate my example where the principle stands: An all dark colour scheme (like this likely will be) will be fine in an environment with a bright coloured sky :) But would look heavy, dull or even depressing in an evironment with overcast weather (like most of mainland Europe and northern USA).