people will then get butt-hurt that you've mentioned something
and OMG
so there's just not really any point in actually writing anything to be honest
Final score of
something
/10

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
All social media is very dangerous right now if you want to avoid Star Wars spoilers. My advice is to avoid the comments sections of any kind of 'lad' articles e.g ladbible, unilad etc where lots of sad **** are revealing what happens! Also avoid comments sections on trending YouTube videos too if you want to stay safe.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Star Wars: That new one

What can I say? Well... not much, really. People want to avoid spoilers, and I can't even say whether I understand why, lest that be a spoiler in itself.

I guess, if there's one thing I can say without spoiling anything: don't worry. The film is made with lots of love. Whether or not it's a movie you'll appreciate, that's up for you to decide.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I'll do a proper, spoiler free review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

This is something ridiculously hard to review. Looking at Star Wars objectively if you're of my generation is really tough. The films were completely pervasive as we grew up. Not just the films, but the entire culture around them. Everything revolved around Star Wars.

There will be other things that are close to people's hearts from when they grew up (Pokemon maybe), but nothing had the huge cultural impact across the entire of society that Star Was did.

It was hard then to watch the new Lucas trilogy from 1999 onwards. The promise of telling more of the tale in the same way, ruined.

Don't get me wrong, the original Star Wars trilogy are very much regarded as something more special than they are. They're flawed, but there's a charm about them still that captivates continuing generations. The films are simple, but make you feel as though you're viewing a small part of a much larger universe - that was Lucas' genius for the original films.

Episodes 1,2 and 3 tried too hard to do so much with too little. Lucas handled it badly and we got a mess.

With all that in mind, the hype machine that has hit for Episode VII could never deliver on the promise. There is no way that any none "Star Wars fan" could see anything that came close to the hype. Does that mean it was awful? I'd love to say that I viewed it objectively, but can't... It was a fantastic film, and that's kind of objective...

I like to think of it as "Star Wars by numbers". Each scene a repeat of what's gone before, only this time painted using JJ Abrahams' palette rather than Lucas'. It parallels the original film to the point you can only think of it as essentially a reboot, rather than something fresh. It's always self-aware of what it is and what it's doing. "Yes, I'm still the same kind of story in the same kind of situations doing the same kind of stuff, but I don't care because you'll be too busy enjoying me to care!"

From the opening sequences, it's clear that Abraham's has brought Star Wars kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. It's a near flawless bit of action movie. Constantly moving, always something going on, great characters and it gives characters a bit of a chance to get to know each other.

This is Star Wars if it was made today - like, DUH!

It's not perfect. There are times I wonder when Daisy Ridley is going to settle on a facial expression and then realise that she can't manage it and just goes for alcohol gaze into the distance. Fin's character isn't settled, he spends the time you get to know him as scared, but then he's suddenly the boy from the hood seemingly out of character. Plot holes the bigger and more destructive than a vent port in the Death Star open up. I didn't care though.

Thinking now, it's easy to start pulling things apart. Kylo Ren is the Anakin/Vader Lucas never delivered us. A fantastically flawed villain with a slightly funny walk. He's made me understand the Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOO" in a way Haiden whatshisface never could. The way the plot was like a shadow of the original's (in a good way). The gorgeous environments and the feeling of such a large world (it was brilliant Abraham's never went back to the planets Lucas did, but still kept the feelings.

It's easy to pull it apart now, even almost objectively, but at the time I couldn't. Not (though for the first half an hour I must admit it was) because I was sitting watching a new Star Wars film, but because - dammit - I was so busy enjoying it.

It's a solid action/adventure yarn. I suspect a bit too silly for people who aren't fans, but if you watch it like you would an Arnie movie, it's kind of acceptable.

So it's a good action film. Is it a good Star Wars film?

I think part of what made the original trilogy so successful was their simplicity. If you think back to them, very little happens, but it's all done through big "scenes".

The opening scene is iconic. Tattoine with the cantina. The escape from the prison into the garbage chute. The Death Star trench run. Very little actually connects those scenes, but they stand out. The whole film is essentially:
- Droid escape
- Tattoine
- Death Star
- Blow up Death Star.

All the time those scenes are focussed on through the eyes of one or two heroes.

Empire is similar:
- Hoth
- Space worm/Degobah
- Bespin/Dark side cave
- I am your father

Return is:
- Jabba
- Degobah/Sister
- Endor/Death Star/Space battle

There's very little too them and the new film? It's a lot, lot more complex. There never seems to be just one thing happening, but lots. Often the action is seemingly halted for an unnatural amount of time for the plot/characters to move on.

I can't sit here now and pick out "top scenes" that stand out (apart from two near the end, but they're not quite the same). It's all a constant run of things happening and it needed to occasionally stop and take a breath. Did it need monsters attacking pirates? I doubt it.

So due to the complexity, it's missing the dubious charm of the original film. However, as a "not Star Wras film" it's much better. It hangs together as an action film in ways Star wars could only wish for. As a "reboot" of the series - this is the film Lucas would have made if he'd made the original Star Wars today. So I think that yes, it beats A New Hope.

It doesn't beat Empire for me though. That is my Star Wars. The film I remember clearly seeing at the cinema and the shock of Luke finding out Vader is his father was incredible. Never has a film series performed such an act of unexpected plot twistery. It was sublime and I still love the mix of action and humour across the film. It's got the wonderful edge of darkness to it. It's pretty close though to be honest, because - as an action film - The Force Awakens is really good. Like, really really good.

I'll find out on subsequent watchings how much I was hoodwinked. How much playing to nostalgia has tainted my view on the film. The fact that I didn't care it was Star Wars by halfway through and just enjoyed the ride says it's good beyond fandom. I hope so, but I suspect on subsequent watchings the flaws will appear larger and the holes massive. However, that has never stopped me from loving the original trilogy, so maybe I can overcome it and let it into my Star Wars hollow as a special friend.

Over complex, over hyped and over here - but I don't care. It's Star Wars through and through and I loved it - warts and all. I can now forget that episodes 1, II and one hundred and eleven exist and live in the world Disney brings us in the future. It's like Marvel, only Star Wars - which (except for SPiderman) was always better anyway.

It's 10/10 as a Star Wars film, but it's also a 9/10 as an action film at the moment - I may knock that down to 8 on more watchings, but if you like Star Wars just the slightest, go and see it now. You already have I'll bet... :)

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

Yeah just got back...

Really liked it, one or two bits didn't work for me, but after 5 mins I almost forgot that the Prequels even existed.

And I'm not sure that I have enjoyed a film so much in a long time.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re:

david morton said:

I still can;t say if that's the Star Wars affect or not - however... I did really enjoy it pretty much all the way through. It reminded me of watching Indiana Jones for the first time - that's my "go to" film for a scale on how much I enjoy a good action film :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but since Episode 1, my brother and I have a tradition of going to midnight premieres which is sadly a thing of the past since most theaters show it basically matinee the day before any movie is released. Two very distinct reactions.

Love and disgust.

My love, no spoilers obviously, is the way it felt. Real actors, a true lack of over the top cgi, real sets, detail, the rough scene transitions. At first it didn't feel like a movie that was brand new.

My brother has over 200 books, and set himself up for disappointment, hoping it would follow Zahn novels (shame is felt for me knowing the authors name) but I can't discuss those plot issues he had.

Seeing it again in IMAX on Monday with him and a third time with the wife eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've read loads of the books (including the Zahn novels and beyond). It was made clear that wasn't ever canon, so I just disregarded it. I still love those books and the stories told, but you can't commit them as lore.

It's going to be the same with Rogue Squadron and the Han Solo trilogy. I have read those books and they won't be the same - that doesn't mean the new ones will be bad, just different. I'll be honest, I think the film is better than the Zahn story anyway. It's a much better fit to the universe.

Tell your brother he's silly :p

peep

CF Legend
Are you guys aware that Marvel made some pre-Force Awakens comics? They help tell a few plot points that never go into detail like why C3-P0 has a red arm, just little things like that. I won't be bothering but wondered if you were aware of them seeing as they are actually canon.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
2 from me:

Spectre - A real disappointment after the other 3 craig bond films (and I'm including quantum in that) - some great stunts and action scenes, but just drawn out for about 40 minutes longer than necessary - and a totally flawed and dull storyline.

Star wars - the force awakens - didn't know what to expect after episodes 1 and 3 (don't think I've actually seen 2) - 1 being utter poo, and 3 being okish.

I actually loved it - a bit cheesy (as all the other films), some great action scenes, those same utterly bizarre between scenes fades that should have died in the 80s, but it really did keep the whole "star wars" feeling, not flawless (for instance
How did Rey manage to convince the storm trooper to release her so easily
).

Ultimately, it held my interest throughout, and as David Morton said:

The film is worth... 9 portions

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: "Now Showing"

Regarding your spoiler tag:

caffeine_demon said:
(for instance
How did Rey manage to convince the storm trooper to release her so easily
)

She used the force. Just like the "these aren't the droids your looking for" scene from the old movie (episode 4).

At least, that's what I thought...

Dave

CF Legend
That scene where the X-Wings appeared over the water (even though it was in the trailer) from a distance put a massive smile on my face that made me forget everything and just enjoy the spectacle.

I'm glad they didn't kill off Kylo Ren, General Hux and Captain Phasma as there's scope for development there!

peep

CF Legend
Star Wars VII

Absolutely loved it, I loved the new characters, BB8 is absolutely adorable (want that Sphero toy even more now!) and I think the whole thing just looked beautiful. The previously mentioned shot of the X-Wings coming along the water, the Tie-fighters appearing in front of the Sun, and also lots of moments I can't mention just looked perfect. I've been reading lots of negative things that it hits the same story points from the first film (well, ep IV) and I don't really see it, well, not in a negative way. To me the whole thing feels fresh while still feeling like a Star Wars film and best of all, it's enjoyable. I have to say the sound design is phenomenal too, the scene in the snowy forest was full of crazy ambient audio, felt very immersive (but then some dodgy compositing started to appear around the actors and it all went weird for me). Apparently they cut out 20 minutes and I think in the second half of the film probably suffered the most from the edit as there are some moments that should have lingered a bit more.

Still, at the end of the day, I had a big smile on my face, already seen it for a second time and want to see it again and I can't wait for the next episode.

It should be noted that there are a crazy amount of small cameos and that littered throughout which are quite fun to find. Hidden some in the spoiler tag...

Daniel Craig is a stormtrooper. Ewan McGregor says a few bits in the flashback. Pretty sure (but not seen anyone else say this one yet) James McAvoy is at one of the control panels on the super death planet thingy. Thomas Brodie-Sangster is also working for the First Order. Apparently the woman who we focus on when that planet is about to get destroyed is in Ep VIII.

I think that's all of the ones I know/spotted so far.

I also went to see Sisters.

Love Tina Fey and Amy Poehler but I was bitterly disappointed by this. It definitely has its funny moments (like when the party is going on) but overall it just wasn't that engaging. The characters are actually a bit awful and I found it hard to watch at times because of them. Most of it was just awkward to watch. Very weird seeing this getting good reviews.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Good Dinosaur

Visually amazing, some moments felt real, and I enjoyed the characters, even if it was a very Lion King esque story. Redneck Raptors was probably my favorite part. I enjoyed it more than Inside Out tbh, which gets way too much love for what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Star Wars - The Force Awakens

So I had never seen any Star Wars films until a couple of weeks ago. Then I got the DVDs for Christmas and watched the whole series. Now I've just got back from seeing the new one at cinema.

I thought it was superb. Thankfully it was much more like the original trilogy - which I really enjoyed - than the prequels which I thought were absolute sh*te. Liked the new characters too. 9/10

Now I feel compelled to rank them all by my immediate gut reaction, with no nostalgic bias.

1) Return Of The Jedi
2) The Force Awakens
3) A New Hope
4) Empire Strikes Back
5) Revenge Of The Sith
6) Phantom Menace
7) Attack Of The Clones

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I stumbled across this, which is a fan's edit of the SW prequels which includes all of the necessary information to the storyline but removes a lot of the crap. Saves a few hours of your time if you want to rewatch them, I found it excellent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9LEhOZZbuk[/youtube]

I went to see the new one as well.

It was good, thoroughly enjoyable. I have my critiques of course but I wasn't bored at any point and it hit the right notes nostalgia wise.
I was extremely impressed by the Storm Troopers who managed to do some serious damage to Poe's ship. Shame they were shot, they should've been given a raise and promotion.
I loved Kylo Ren's character, especially his voice, until he took off the mask. He went from excellent baddie to a loser very quickly. Hopefully his maskless days are now behind him, I will be disappointed if he returns without the mask.
7/10

peep

CF Legend
Joy

I liked this film but overall it didn't really entertain me as much as David O'Russell's previous films. The cast are great and everything but I think the story was maybe just a little bit too, dunno, meh? So it's good, just not up to par with my expectations. Also, I kept noticing really random production faults, for example at one point a door is being closed but the camera continues into it.

Danish Girl

This is shot really nicely and it's very similar in style to Tom Hooper's previous films but yet again it didn't quite work for me. The performances were good but I feel that someone else might have pulled off the main role a bit better than Eddie Redmayne. No idea who, but there were times where I just didn't feel like he was right for the role.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
The Good Dinosaur
Loved it. It is visually stunning for one thing, and the story is great, when
Henry, Arlo's dad died, it brought back harrowing memories of Mufasa's death.
I cried, I laughed, I cheered. The little caveman boy was great and it was great to see the relationship between him and Arlo develop throughout the film. Really good.

Joy
It was great to see Jennifer Lawrence play a 'real-life' role and she did it excellently. Really enjoyable. I didn't know anything about the film when I went to see it, and I suppose normally it isn't the sort of film I'd jump at the chance of seeing, but I am really glad I did, it was funny where appropriate, heart-warming...as well as heart-wrenching.

The Danish Girl
I am a huge fan of Eddie Redmayne but I'm not convinced he was ideal for this part, like he played it very well, but I can't help but feel it looked as if he over acted. I still really enjoyed the film though. I was annoyed at the lack of sense of time. 'Copenhagen 1923' (or whatever the year was) was the only year mentioned, and it felt as if it all progressed way faster than what it probably would have...one scene he's confused, next he doesn't want to undress from the women's clothes. How long had actually passed. Anyway, I'm just picking holes in a film I actually did really enjoy....not sure he'll win that Oscar again though!

Ben

CF Legend
Jordanovichy said:
The Good Dinosaur
Hated it. It is visually stunning for one thing, but the story is ****, when
Henry, Arlo's dad died, it brought back memories of Mufasa's death because they were being lazy and just replicating it.
I cried because it sucked, I laughed at how bad it was, I cheered when it finally ended. The little caveman boy was so **** annoying and it was great to see the relationship between him and Arlo hadn't been remotely considered - wouldn't have wanted there to be any meaning to it. Really bad !

Just fixed that up a bit for you, there was some small mistakes ;)