What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Deadpool

I've been looking forward to this for ages now, I really like Ryan Reynolds and from what I'd read of the character he just seemed like the perfect actor to make this film happen. So I'm glad to report that it managed to live up my my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed it right from the moment it started and right up till the end of the post-credits scene. The entire film is littered with great gags, the entire audience at the screening I attended were proper guffawing at several moments. It's just silly fun that pokes fun at the rest of the X-Men films as well as Reynolds' little dabble with DC. Very glad that a sequel has already been put into motion by 20th Century Fox.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Dirty Grandpa

I really don't know. I did laugh out loud at a few moments but overall I think it was pretty crap to be honest, I laughed at a lot of the gags but I recoiled at quite a few too...it was odd seeing De Niro play such a shocking role xD I did enjoy Efron's part though, I thought he did great. Yeah it was alright I suppose.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

Anomalisa

Very good film, beautiful and disturbing as we've come to expect from Kaufman. I loved how they used stop motion to illustrate the robotic, inhuman tone of Michael's life (Everyone except Michael and Lisa have the same face and voice actor). It's definitely not for everyone though.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Deadpool

Holy hell have I not laughed like that in such a long time. Right from the start the hilarity ensues. Absolutely adored it all! Plus, Ryan Reynolds <3

peep

CF Legend
The Iron Giant: Signature edition

So Warner Bros randomly finished off making some additional scenes for this film as well as completely restoring it before a cinematic release. I'd heard lots of great things about this film so made sure I got myself to one of the few screenings taking place. I really enjoyed it, very sad towards the end, lots of very funny moments too. I can see why some people hype it.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

This was actually quite well made, brilliantly cast and at times, very funny. I've only ever seen bits of the original story but my Sister who has watched the original film and TV series several times told me the story is very accurate despite them cramming it into 90 minutes and then adding a helping of zombies on top. Parts of the whole zombie thing work well, other bits, not so much. Overall it's quite enjoyable though.

Zoolander 2

I'll admit I've never sat through the whole of the first film but I've seen so much of it through memes and gifs that I feel like I have. This sequel was alright, it has some very funny moments, I wanted more of Kristen Wiig's character who I found hilarious. Some jokes were sort of over-played though which ruined it a bit and some lines were clearly thrown in because they became popular quotes from the first film, rather than attempt to make new jokes. Oh well, it was watchable.

A bigger splash

Was really looking forward to seeing this film and I wasn't disappointed. The cast are amazing, Ralph Fiennes pretty much steals every scene he is in because he's amazing <3 Does get a bit weird towards the end though and the shoehorning of the refugee crises seemed peculiar and out of place.

Dad's Army

I really love the TV show and the BBC drama/comedy about how they made the show was excellent, the casting was superb. I would say the casting was pretty good here too, be it a more 'famous' line-up. So it's a shame then that the script is utter garbage. It's extremely unfunny, with maybe one or two moments not seen in the marketing which made the audience chuckle. It just felt wrong, maybe it was because they needed a story that could stretch out to the length of a feature film and they just didn't get that right so everything else just collapsed? Either way, just stay away from this utter rubbish.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Deadpool

It was great...not amazing like I was lead to believe but I suppose that's why it wasn't amazing. I laughed right from the onset, the opening credits were done amazingly, I loved the time hopping back and forward, I love a film that makes you pay attention rather than one where it ambles along slowly. Ryan Reynolds is amazing as Deadpool, the fight scenes were great, and I was laughing loads. Yeah, great film!

Ben

CF Legend
^You probably just missed all the references, being basic and all ;)

I **** loved Deadpool it was fantastic.

I also saw Big Short which was decent - a unique style but what the **** was half of it about? I liked that it made clear the subject matter is confusing and dull but that didn't stop it being confusing and dull. And I'm a banker xD

Spotlight was fantastic - favourite film up for Best Picture for sure. That's a lie I keep forgetting Mad Max is up for it. Love the pace and how it makes loads of talking exciting. Plus Rachel McAdams is just fabulous she needs to do more roles like that and less **** rom coms.

Zoolander 2 was poo. First of all, cameos are cool and all but ****, no, far too many. It only really got any better when Will Ferrell finally rocks up because Kristen Wiig is woefully underused but it didn't save it at all. So disappointing cause the first one is a classic.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've been making an effort to catch up with Oscar-nominated s**t over the last couple of weeks:

The Danish Girl

I thought it was excellent. I'm kind of surprised the story hasn't been told before to be honest. It was performed well and looked lovely.

The Big Short

What Ben said earlier. It made me feel a bit thick to be honest since I couldn't really grasp what the f**k they were going on about for most of it.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Really enjoyed this one. I'm not a massive fan of films which are basically just one huge action/chase scene, but this one worked for me, probably because of the overall style/visuals of it. Good stuff.

Room

I'd been putting it off a bit since I really liked the book and 9 times out of 10 am left feeling let down. This was a very good adaptation though. I guess it's because the author of the novel wrote the screenplay too.

Carol

Looked lovely. Bored me s**tless if I'm being honest.

Joy

Really liked this one. I knew literally nothing about it and didn't even realsie it was based on a true story until about halfway through when I finally clicked.

Not Oscar-nominated, but finally caught up with The Good Dinosaur

It looked stunning, but was other wise f**king s**t. It's basically about a dinosaur who spends 90 minutes falling over, onto or into things while shouting "SPOT...SPOOOOOOOOOOT!" every 5 seconds. I think the message of the film was that while it's all well-and-good being nice to each other, ultimately we're better off with our "own kind"; a message that I'm sure Walt would have loved.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've done the same and tried to see all the Oscar noms. Here we go:

Hateful 8
****. An exercise in Tarantino **** over himself. I think it'd make a cool play but I found it dull and only one or two characters worth watching for.

Creed
Never seen a Rocky film *boo hiss* but really enjoyed this. The way the fight scenes are filmed is incredible and wasn't too clichéd.

Brooklyn
How is this nominated? How? It's like a crappy Sunday made for TV movie. It's a sappy love story at best. Don't get it.

The Danish Girl
Another yawn-fest. And Redmayne's fake eyelash that was supposed to be real but was clearly fake irritated me all the way through. Looked pretty though.

The Revenant
Loved. Asbolutely loved. It was gorgeous, gripping and just, yeah, it should win everything.

The Big Short
Same as Ben and Gavin, I liked the way they attempted to explain the bank stuff but it was just so dense that I feel like a lot of the drama was wasted on me because I didn't really get what was going on in the first place?

Room
Excellent. How they got the child to act like that is unbelievable, and he's not even nommed for Best Actor? Unbelievable!

Spotlight
I thought was good but didn't really see the point of telling the story? Like, we know what happens and we see the story from the POV of the people who either know it's happening or aren't really affected by what is happening. Should've shown more avid churchgoers reactions to the scandal in my opinion.

I think that's me up to date?

peep

CF Legend

nadroJ said:
Room
Excellent. How they got the child to act like that is unbelievable, and he's not even nommed for Best Actor?

He actually won a best actor award, I think it might have been a Golden Globe *shrug*. He gave quite the good speech too, I'd be surprised if he doesn't grow up to be some mega actor that is always nominated but never wins an Oscar.

P.S. You seen the game someone made about Leo trying to catch an Oscar? It's amazing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster

peep said:
nadroJ said:
Room
Excellent. How they got the child to act like that is unbelievable, and he's not even nommed for Best Actor?

He actually won a best actor award, I think it might have been a Golden Globe *shrug*. He gave quite the good speech too, I'd be surprised if he doesn't grow up to be some mega actor that is always nominated but never wins an Oscar.

P.S. You seen the game someone made about Leo trying to catch an Oscar? It's amazing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Nah, Golden Globes were all about DiCaprio (and Matt Damon). The fact Damon won the Golden Globe really makes me believe there was no quality 'comedies' from 2015 running for the awards this season...

Ben

CF Legend
The Revenant was SO BAD.

Nothing happens at all. It's Leo getting raped by a bear, Leo lying in the snow sad, Leo lying in some water angry, fight, end.

It's probably the worst major Oscar contender since the Hurt Locker.

Hated every second of it and hate that someone as fab as Leo will finally win his Oscar for his worst perforemance.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Deadpool

Amazing. Gonna see it again this weekend to catch some missed jokes.

Love the Coopers

What a pretentious **** show. This movie built up for 98% only to be complete **** and not worth a build up. Olivia Wilde was annoying as **** and it was painfully dull.

Sex with Other People

Some random movie ondemand that was so much better than I expected, which wasn't much. Cast was pretty good.

Kung Fu Panda 3

Series gets better after each one. Was upset they recast Rebel Wilson though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I saw Ben praising Goosebumps on FB recently so watched it over the weekend.

Having not actually read any of the books (but I have read a lot of the point horror series), I wasn't at all sure of what to expect from this and the first 20 minutes were pretty gruelling, but once it kicked in I was pretty hooked, none of the monsters were particularly scary and the CGI of the Mantis was a bit :shock: but it was a good way to pass an hour and a half. 6/10

I also re watched Mad Max - Fury Road as I wasn't paying too much attention the first time, I absolutely love the sandstorm scene, brilliant. Great action film in general, glad I watched it again. 8/10

peep

CF Legend
Triple nine

Big fat meh. It's never that exciting or tense, it really drags along towards the end and there's many moments that should have just been left on the cutting room floor. A great cast, just totally wasted.

How to be single

There were some amusing moments (most of which were already in trailers) but once again it just sort of meanders along resulting in something quite bland with the occasional loud moment of something entertaining. Meh.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Been watching a couple of Oscar nominated films for the awards on Sunday.

The Revenant

Echoing what most others have said. Visually it was stunning, it looked amazing, and some of those wide shots were to die for. But then it all kind of went to ****. An hour of it could easily have been cut, DiCaprio was basically just grunting for an hour and a half...don't get me wrong, I think he played his part well...but that's as far as it goes for me...he played it 'well'. I'm still rooting for Eddie Redmayne in the best lead actor.

Steve Jobs

I wanted to see this at the cinema ages ago but never really got around to doing so. I really enjoyed it, Fassbender made a great Steve Jobs, I didn't realise what a dick he was! But as was expected...he was alright in the end. I used to be an avid Apple fanboy, and used to watch the keynote speeches religiously so seeing a film about it was always going to make me slightly bias but I did enjoy it...I just couldn't really see the point in it if you get me, like why now? He died 5 years ago, so it didn't really make sense. I found out today (basic) that there was another Steve Jobs film with Ashton Kutcher, so I have no idea if they're supposed to work hand in hand? But I'm assuming not.

Bone Tomahawk

I would never have gone to the cinema to see this out of choice, but it was my housemate's turn to choose a film and it does have the name of a cred in the title. I really enjoyed it! It was extortionately gruesome, like omg, if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean. It was a great, slow burn western, the plot slowly built up, as did the tension, I was expecting jump scares at times and was relieved that they never happened. Yeah I really liked it!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Jordanovichy said:
I'm still rooting for Eddie Redmayne in the best lead actor.

No. Simpering at the camera while coquettishly batting some wonky eyelashes isn't acting. Total Oscar-bait role which anyone could've done.

Deadpool

Oh. Ver. Rated.

It was alright. I was entertained enough. It's not the amazing film that so many are making it out to be. It wasn't even all that funny. The "hilarious" one-liners were anything but. Seen it. Done.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm... Seen one or two films recently I guess.

The Martian
Enjoyed the film, it was a solid "good". Matt Damon played a fine part (he generally does) and the film was really nicely made. It lost a bit of the humour as they got all sciency in the middle, but it was good - just never "great". It kind of sits with Ridley Scott's other work like Matchstick Men where it's perfunctory, but never really excels. 4/5

Bridge of Spies
Speaking of perfunctory - Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks in "didn't make a bad film" shocker! It goes through all the wonderful SS/TH motions. It's an interesting story told well enough. It feels wrong to accuse a film of living up to expectations as a criticism, but it did. It never excelled, except in the exact way you would expect. Brilliant direction, lovely acting - just spot on film making. It wasn't even lazy, it just never quite grabbed me. To be fair, I thought Private Ryan was similar. 4/5

Steve Jobs
Such a compelling film. Fassbender commanded the screen incredibly. Every time he was on it, it was captivating. Everyone was to be fair and the way his life story was revealed over essentially three scenes was really clever. Incredible to watch.

It never really got anywhere though or had much of a point. Steve Jobs was a ****. Steve Jobs realised this about ten years before he died. We don't know if he changed his ways or not, but he hinted at inventing the iPod!!! What a climax!

A film to watch to see how acting should be done. Another 4/5

The Revenant
Speaking of how acting should be done... If it involves grunting and moaning.
It's a gorgeous film. So big and huge and lovely. The scale is ridiculous.

It's also complete and utter bollocks.

Leo plays the 19th Century frontier Terminator. He'll be back from another deus ex machina that leaves him in a position that would have killed off anyone other than Arnie in any film with any modicum of placement in reality (T2 I think is probably more realistic). So much time and effort spent creating a believable wild America and then to put on top a complete and utter fantasy.

Then at one point it so blatantly copied Empire Strikes Back, I thought that maybe I'd been transported into the future to see Star Wars Episode VIII

The story was telegraphed all the way through, held no surprises (other than Leo once again surviving by grunting through death somehow) and it was slow. Okay, it was gorgeous while it was slow and really nice to absorb, but yeah, bollocks story. 3/5

Whiplash
Going back a bit though was fab. It wasn't what I expected at all. I thought that maybe it was going to be a drumming version of "Fame", but it wasn't. The characters and dialogue were superb. It was funny, depressing and overall couldn't even be ruined by the presence of Paul Reiser. I wasn't convinced by the ending, but it's kind of stuck with me, so I think it ate deep into my conciousness. Yeah, really enjoyed it 5/5

Deadpool
Load of stupid arse. It was just a stream of lame arse slapstick, lame arse in-jokes, lame arse one liners, lame arse bad guy and lame arse bollocksy story. I loved it :)

It was pointless entertainment from start to finish. It never tried to be anything great, just doing what was expected of it. It was stupid arse and sometimes the world of entertainment does it well. It wasn't stupid arse in the way Transformers was. That was crap stupid arse. It had just enough substance to make it good and enjoyable crap entertainment. I liked and will watch it again to see how bad diminishing returns on it are 4/5

Creed
I love Rocky films. I think the original is one of the most popular, yet underrated films ever. It's a superbly told feel-good tale that laid out the formula on how to do a rags to riches story perfectly.

Creed was just a complete repeat of the original without any of whatever magic Stallone managed to capture in the original. I was expecting the anthem to blare out, but it never did like that would take it too far into Star Wars VII repeat territory - but it missed out by failing to actually acknowledge it was just a remake and by going the extra mile and actually just accepting it completely and copying it. It seems odd to criticise it for not copying it completely, but they did, but without the heart and soul of the original.
Meh - 3/5

I wanted to see Crimson Peak when it came out in theaters back in October because the advertisements looked so intriguing, but with all the horror movies coming out at that time of year, I kind of pushed it aside to see those. Anyway, I felt like watching a film last night and I actually stayed awake for the entire thing (my boyfriend knows this is a once in a lifetime experience considering I'm usually asleep before the end of the opening credits) and not only did I enjoy it, but it's very underrated.

I knew it wasn't going to be a traditional horror movie from the start, but moreso horror mixed with suspense and romance, which made for an interesting film. Mia Wasikowska is also a beautiful and good actress in my opinion, so that added to the movie for me. Anyway, although some parts were predictable, the movie made me cringe in parts which is extremely hard to do, and the setting was eerie and fantasically done.

I'd give it a solid 7.5/10