What's new

"Now Showing"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So, out of left field a trailer debuted with 13 hours tonight for a new JJ Abrams project...

10 Cloverfield Lane!

8 years later we are getting a sequel with John Goodman. Holy ****. And to top it off, it comes out in 2 months. Can't remember a movie ever doing this of not announcing it was being made and then a trailer hits.

Exciting times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
I think the last time this happened was Cloverfield. The mystery surrounding that film was exciting. This one looks fantastic too, really looking forward to seeing it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PeteA

Roller Poster
^ :)

Yeah the 10 Cloverfield Lane came out of the blue didn't it. I personally enjoyed Cloverfield, so I am quite intrigued as to what path the new film will follow. I mean there has always been stories and rumours about a similar film but following another set of people.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
The Revenant- That bear attack though. Oh my lord, that was intense. Leonardio DeCaprio gives one of his best performances of his career in this movie. The movie was absolutely gorgeous. Very interesting plot and I strongly enjoyed it. A bit long, but it is a great movie and I'd recommend it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

Batfastard14 said:
The Revenant- That bear attack though. Oh my lord, that was intense. Leonardio DeCaprio gives one of his best performances of his career in this movie. The movie was absolutely gorgeous. Very interesting plot and I strongly enjoyed it. A bit long, but it is a great movie and I'd recommend it.
Tom Hardy crushed it more than Leo. I thought it was a bit weak from Leo and I truly don't expect him to get the Oscar. He didn't beat Damon's performance in Martian.

In terms of the movie, I didn't expect what I saw and thought it was ok. It was long, gripping at times, but dragging at others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
another 2 from me:

The revenant - Aka grunting, mumbling, wheezing and panting. Nicely done and all, but just didn't grab me like a lot of movies.

H8ful 8- Absolutely fab! Tarantino is a genius - not a whole lot happens in the first half, yet it's still thoroughly gripping! and then when it get's going it's just gr8!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Carol

Went to see Carol last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am really enjoying going to see films different to what I'd have watched 6 months ago. I was hooked from the offset and enjoyed seeing the romance develop between Therese and Carol. I am glad I got to see it, I'm pretty sure it's finished now!

Ben

CF Legend
I saw The Danish Girl last night and I loved it - I don't really get the complaints about Eddie Redmayne overacting or not feeling right, he was great. Over-emotional, these are trans women, hello.

I saw The Revenant earlier in the week and it was ****. Two and a half hours of Leonardo DiCaprio looking angry and grunting at snow. So desperate for the Oscar. Such a boring film.

And saw Room on Sunday, which was excellent. It's NOT about Brie Larson though, the little kid is so much better.

Carol was also amazing, can't believe that's still out feels like an age since I saw it!

peep

CF Legend
Saw a few at the cinema at the weekend. Started with The Revenant.

It looks absolutely beautiful and the cast are outstanding. However the random long shots of nothing and dream sequences felt unnecessary, especially for a film that is so long. There were some truly outstanding moments though and fantastic on the big screen, really intense.

The big short

I quite liked this, it needed a good helping of humour and it had it in spades. However the editing of the film just distracted me, it just felt messy and annoying. The cast were awesome though and I think the film got it's points across quite well, however depressing they may be.

Room

Wow, this was phenomenal, I love how the cinematography makes it look huge inside, when in reality it's a tiny little room. Seeing everything from the kid's perspective just works really well. I think the whole film works in a really interesting way and is extremely emotional. The acting is just perfect, the kid is just excellent, best child actor ever?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't posted in here for a while, so I'll throw a few in that I can remember recently.

The Revenant

After seeing generally mixed opinions on here and Facebook (too long, drags on, blah blah blah), I was in two minds whether to bother with it and have been putting it off for a few weeks, but gave it a go. I loved it. I didn't find it too drawn out at all. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, so kind of needed it. Having said that, if I was watching it at home, I probably would have been on my phone a bit instead of taking it all in properly, so I'm glad I made the effort to see in at the cinema. The dream sequence bits could have been left out - all a bit too "Gladiator" in that respect. DiCaprio was very good. Worthy of an oscar nomination, but not really a win to be honest, even though he'll get it because he's due for it.

The 5th Wave

I thought I was going to get an "Independence Day" style disaster movie. Instead I got a crappy dystopean teen flick made to cash in on crap like The Maze Runner, which itself was written/made to cash in The Hunger Games. Total piece of s**t.

Dirty Grandpa

Pretty predictable low-brow humour based on the title really, but I enjoyed it. Not much else to say really. Entertaining rubbish if that makes sense.

Spotlight

It was alright. I honestly think it's only Oscar nominated because of the subject matter. It was good, don't get me wrong, but not that good.

Steve Jobs

A good film which was very well-performed throughout. Michael Fassbender probably deserves the Oscar over DiCaprio, but won't get it.

peep

CF Legend
Saw a few last weekend...

Goosebumps

Being quite a big fan of the books, TV show, games and all the other random merch that was released when I was a kid I was rather excited about seeing this. I was very happy with the end result. I found it to be a rather fun adventure, maybe a bit too stereotypical and predictable in places but it was a fun ride filled with an interesting take on the franchise. I thought I'd find the "friend" rather annoying and, well, he was but I think the way the other characters dealt with him made it ok? I thought some of the CGI was a bit ropey in places but overall was quite impressive considering how many different creatures they had to make. Also the cameo towards the end was amazing and the end credit sequence being a homage to the book covers was fab. Oh and I wonder how many pick up on the little musical reference to the TV show theme tune :p

Spotlight

I felt like this was rather good despite the whole way it was made being quite "paint-by-numbers", or as I've seen others refer to it, a "TV-movie". I think it works because the cast are perfect, the script was tight and it didn't have a stylistic flair that detracted from the quite serious story being told. A very solid movie.

Dirty grandpa

Love Efron and De Niro but I'm really not sure how I feel about this film. I found a lot of the humour to go too far and sometimes it was a bit all over the place. Granted there were several occasions in which I was highly amused (Aubrey Plaza is pretty amazing in every scene she's in). I dunno. It was ok I suppose.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Spotlight

Really enjoyable, I really enjoyed how the story developed, with the problems being assumed to be low-scale at first, but the true scale slowly realised, I particularly loved Rachel McAdams' character, she seemed perfect for the part. Great film.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: "Now Showing"

^I thought Spotlight was so dull! Seriously, I was waiting for something amazing to happen and it just...didn't? Dull. At least it gave me an excuse to stare at Mark Ruffalo for a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally watched Forrest Gump for the first time last week, which is blasphemous, I know. But, it was amazing. I loved every minute of it... A great mix of funny, happy, sad, and basically every emotion ever. Kind of excited I'll understand the references at Bubba Gump now! 9/10.

Also watched The Boy in theatres last week, which is a horror movie about a doll. It was pretty good as far as horror movies go, apart from the end as I wish they would have kept it supernatural rather than *SPOILER ALERT* having it be a guy living in the walls. </3 Still, entertaining and not bad by any means. 6.5/10.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Re:

nadroJ said:
^I thought Spotlight was so dull! Seriously, I was waiting for something amazing to happen and it just...didn't? Dull. At least it gave me an excuse to stare at Mark Ruffalo for a couple of hours.

I definitely know what you mean about nothing major happening, like a sudden twist, it did all kind of bumble along slowly but I liked it for that to be honest.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I finally watched Forrest Gump for the first time last week, which is blasphemous, I know. But, it was amazing. I loved every minute of it... A great mix of funny, happy, sad, and basically every emotion ever. Kind of excited I'll understand the references at Bubba Gump now! 9/10.

I **** love Forrest Gump, I'm so glad Conor and Ben went on and on and on and on at me to watch it. It's hilarious and I love understanding references....I should watch more films though ;)