What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Sunday night I watched two films on television.

First up was Miss Potter. I thought it was actually quite good, all the actors were great and it was generally a nice film to sit down and watch.
Rating: 3/5

A couple of hours later and I find myself watching quite the opposite...2001 maniacs. Very, very bizarre, interesting though and one of the better slasher films of the past few years me thinks. The cast were amusing, the story was (as like every horror/slasher film) predictable and the gore was in good supply. Although I don't think I would quite like to find myself at that sort of BBQ :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
I watched Hellraiser II: Hellbound last night.

Is that the one in the insane asylum? I remember watching it when i was about 12 or 13 at a friends house and being both shocked and turned on by the naked corpse woman with no skin.

On another note.. I had a thought last night about what i dont like about Batmans grunty voice.. It reminds me of Jim Carrey's "bad self" in "Me Myself and Irene"

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Snakes on a Plane

I saw this today with four of my friends, none of which had actually seen it surprisingly. It was always talked about.

Anyway, the film wasn't bad, it was entertaining with some pretty gruesome scenes on occasion, and while the CGI effect on the snakes was clearly evident, it all worked well decently. I thought that the storyline would be awful and a mess, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall, it was just a plain average thriller, which kept us entertained. Although I dunno if it was me, but you didn't see Samuel L Jackson as much as I thought you would. And Kenan from Kenan and Kel was in it!

6/10.

thx

Mega Poster
Videodrome
- A strange, sci-fi horror flick from 1982, by David Cronenberg. It had it's great moments, some nice atmosphere, suitably dark music, was a bit nasty at times (it was forbidden under 18). It annoyed me quite a bit, when the movie took another turn and just really worsened after that imo, as it had much potential. Also the plot was a bit strange. 8.2/10.

Kill Bill 2
Saw the "first part" about half a year ago, which agreeably meant I didn't remember everything very clearly. Still I think I almost liked this more than the other movie, ok some might think it is boring at times, but I have to disagree, I think it had just a nice balance, and the acting was pretty great and well it's Tarantino. 8.6/10

Children of Men
Nice atmosphere and it felt realistic. The plot was ok, but was sort of typical in a few ways. Overall it was good, but was also a bit annoying at times. Oh and I still think Julianne Moore is a 'filler' actress. 8.2/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Smelly said:
furie said:
I watched Hellraiser II: Hellbound last night.

Is that the one in the insane asylum? I remember watching it when i was about 12 or 13 at a friends house and being both shocked and turned on by the naked corpse woman with no skin.

Yep, that's the badger! :lol:

thx said:
Videodrome
- A strange, sci-fi horror flick from 1982, by David Cronenberg. It had it's great moments, some nice atmosphere, suitably dark music, was a bit nasty at times (it was forbidden under 18). It annoyed me quite a bit, when the movie took another turn and just really worsened after that imo, as it had much potential. Also the plot was a bit strange. 8.2/10.

Videodrome is an odd one, but better than a lot of Cronenberg's later work (he seemed to rehash a lot of the same ideas). It had the massive bonus of featuring Debbie Harry :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Videodrome
- A strange, sci-fi horror flick from 1982, by David Cronenberg.

One of my all time favourite films, just for sheer weirdness. One of the most messed up movies I´ve ever seen and after watching it countless times and buying the DVD with some hope I am still left with no explanation of what the hell goes on. Fantastic.

Ollie

CF Legend
I got round to seeing Wall-E today.

It was my sisters first time to the cinema, so that was our main reason of going.
The Short film at the beginning (about the magician and the rabbit) I thought was great and was cleverly done and haven't seen something like that since I've first started watching 'Tom and Jerry'. :p

Anyway onto the film. I went into this with high expectations (I didn't get caught up in all the hype before it was released). It started off well and the pace was quite small. And the film on a whole was really enjoyable. The ending seemed a little rushed though especially when:

Wall-E almost dies at the end after he gets fried by that other robot and Eva is trying to get him to remember after she fixed him.

That bit seemed a bit too rushed as if in 'lets get this film over with'
My sister (who is 6 in a few months) started getting distracted towards the end of the film so I reckon that the film is intended at the target audience of around 7-10 year olds. Which is quite a small target range. Everyone over 15ish (including me) seemed to be disappointed with it as they were expecting it to be on par with the likes of Toy Story.

Overall it was enjoyable but not something I'd want to go and see again in a hurry. (Which unfortunately I do, because I'm taking my girlfriend to see it on Saturday. :roll: :lol: )

I'll give it 7/10
But 9 if I was 12. :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Yep, that's the badger! :lol:

The BEST bit about that movie is when they're operating on her brain and she's fully conscious..

Even now that puts the heby geebies up me (just the thought of it.. ewww!)

PLCP

Mega Poster
I saw Pineapple Express today.

Really, this is one of those movies that you either love it or hate it. And for me, I loved it. I could sum it up something like this:

Drugs
Violence
More Drugs
More Violence
Even More Drugs
Even More Violence

With lots of comedy in there.

I'll give it a 8.9.

Hairspray (1988)

I thought the new Hairspray looked pretty bogus, mostly because of the cast, so I picked up the old one for six bucks in a bargain bin the other day. It was a cute movie, nothing spectacular, but I really liked the fat girl, haha. It wasn't what I would call a musical though; it had music, but it wasn't the cast singing and stuff.

Overall, it didn't bore me because it wasn't too long, and the characters were interesting.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Last night I randomly caught Herbie: fully loaded on BBC 3. I was expecting this to be utter 'lets cash in on the franchise' dribble but I was pleasantly surprised as it was actually ok. Lindsey Lohan didn't really annoy me and the performances from everyone else were ok and Matt Dillon was well, Matt Dillon. Overall it was watchable and great for kids.

Snoo

The Legend
PLCP said:

Really, this is one of those movies that you either love it or hate it. And for me, I loved it. I could sum it up something like this:

Drugs
Violence
More Drugs
More Violence
Even More Drugs
Even More Violence

I'll give it a 8.9.

I can't wait to see that movie. Might see it on the trip this week.. :p

The Dark Knight

So I finally got around to seeing it, and this time the theatre wasn't sold out.

I'll start off by saying that the Joker lived up to my expectations. I wish he was in it more, because he was the character that really kept me watching and interested. Amazing acting on Heath Ledger's part, no doubt about that.

As for the storyline, it was super confusing. I suck at following movies that aren't basic, so you can imagine how confused I was with this. Too many characters, too many things going on, and it was just odd.

Batman's voice was a bit annoying.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10, but Heath would definitely be a 10.

mewantcandy2

Mega Poster
^Dark Knight is a 10. Story was brilliant, heath was brilliant, action was fantastic, way it was filmed and directed was amazing etc...

It was the best movie made in maybe the last ten years.

Well, Dark Knight was certainly filmed well, and like I said, Heath was amazing, but when you're confused for two and a half hours, that doesn't help. I suck at following plots and storylines, so yeah, that was what knocked off those two points for me.

And in the past ten years, Green Mile was the best film made.

Oh and, Dark Knight was very good, but top movie in the world? I don't know.

mewantcandy2

Mega Poster
Of course it got the highest opening weekend in history.

Batman Begins was awesome, they did a ton of advertising, everybody loves Batman as he's a household name, Heath was unreal, and Heath died, which made the movie even more eerie.

You really know nothing about movies if you thought this wasn't going to break the record.

^ Dude, your post just made no sense. I never said the movie was not going to break the record, I just said that the only reason I rated it 8/10 instead of 10/10 was because I had a really hard time following the storyline.

And I definitely agree about the Heath thing; it was very weird watching him play and do an amazing job with Joker's character, and thinking that he's not alive anymore.

PLCP

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
PLCP said:

Drugs
Violence
More Drugs
More Violence
Even More Drugs
Even More Violence

I'll give it a 8.9.

I can't wait to see that movie. Might see it on the trip this week.. :p

Knowing you...you'll laugh your ass off. :lol: