What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Lost City

Not great. I like a bit of a mindless "find the lost treasure" kind of action film, but this one basically had little to no plot. There was really none of the usual follow-the-silly-clues story. It seemed to be solved instantly and stupidly. It had its moments in terms of the comedy aspect of it; there was a handful of good jokes in there, but that was it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Everything Everywhere All at Once

I'm so undecided on this one. I knew nothing about it going in, and what you think the film is going to be from the first 15 minutes or so is not what the film is at all.

I found myself getting quite bored of it by about two thirds of the way through, though. It's pretty long, and I tend to get bored with relentless action sequences, hence my less than enthusiastic attitude towards most Marvel films.

Michelle Yeoh is a definite high point. She's always so watchable, but this was so different for her and she was excellent.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Everything Everywhere All At Once:

Like Gavin, I knew nothing about this film or what to expect (apart from that it was to do with the multiverse).

But I was pleasantly surprised! After seeing Doctor Strange 2, I was pretty unsure whether I'd like this one as I haven't really been impressed with the whole multiversal stories so far. The acting in it was great, loved all the supporting actors too. The story line was pretty basic when you think about it, but there was also so much going on which made it more interesting for me. There were several moments where it had me laughing and almost seemed to be a parody of other films, which I quite enjoyed!

Solid 9/10 from me - this film honestly puts Doctor Strange 2 to absolute shame in my opinion.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Top Gun: Maverick

It's like the old movie but it still doesn't feel like a copy. It isn't excellent but it got some great plane shots, especially of F-18s and SU-57s. Overall decent.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Death on the Nile

I don't know what it was missing, but it was really missing something. It had a decent cast, was put together well enough and the plot is a good one. It just wasn't any fun maybe. The version from the '70s was just a much more entertaining watch I guess.

Top Gun: Maverick

This wasn't one I was going to bother with, but a friend had another friend who couldn't go at the last minute, so I went along. I ended up quite liking it. There's very little plot to speak of, and the script is terrible - so cheesy and full of every cliché - but it was all quite entertaining.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Senior Year

It was great to see Rebel Wilson play such a different role in such a massively different film to those she usually does.

Oh wait, no, it was the same old s**t as always.

Jurassic World Dominion

It's not great. The desperate nostalgia grab of casting the actors from the original is just pointless and adds nothing of any value.

Who gives a f**k about locusts?

peep

CF Legend
Top Gun Maverick - I really enjoyed this, pure 80s/90s action blockbuster cheese. The flight sequences were insane, loved the direction/editing of it all. I thought the way it handled
Iceman
was really well handled and was quite touching. Even all the nostalgia points felt like they fit in and while super cheesy it all worked. If you're going to see one big blockbuster on the screen at the mo, this is it.

Jurassic World Dominion - I'd heard bad things before going in but I wasn't expecting it to be such a long, tedious bore. There are some bits that are really good but the film spends so much time trying to figure out what type of film it even is, the whole Bond-esque sequence felt like a completely different film. The way a lot of the film is shot and edited is appalling, no clear sense of scale or where things are happening, even some of the CGI is a little off. I did think some sequences were quite good in terms of horror jump scares but mainly helped by the extremely loud soundtrack. I loved the shots in the pond sequence though, that was certainly a highlight of the film. Disappointing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Some Like It Rare

I enjoyed this one. I guess it would fall under the "comedy-horror" banner. It's French, but for some reason got a fairly big cinema release here. It's about a married couple of butchers who kill vegans and sell them as meat.

Fire Island

This was alright. I didn't know anything about it, and thought I was being very clever by noticing how similar it was to Pride and Prejudice, not realising that that was the whole premise.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Decided to catch Top Gun: Maverick on the big screen before it vanished.
It was alright. Was never a fan of the original to be honest, and I certainly enjoyed the sequel a lot more, but it's not the action masterpiece that some folks made it out to be.
Best bit: the MI:7 trailer.

Thor: Love and Thunder on the other hand, is a hoot. Really enjoyed this one. I mean, it's generally very silly, tonally it's all over the place and I'm sure it's gonna strongly divide opinion, but say what you like about Taiki Watiti, at least he doesn't stick to the same, tired old MCU formula and does things his own way. Refreshingly different from some of the other entries, but might be too comical for some.
Best bit: the familar, Marvel intro music getting the 'Wyld Stallyns' treatment.

peep

CF Legend
Thor: Love and Thunder (Thor four) - I love Ragnarok and everything Taika Waititi has made but this felt a little like too much of his comedy quips and not enough of the actual story? It's fun and some of the sequences are shot in a really cool and in a unique way but I wasn't as impressed. I also didn't get on with the inclusion of the Guardians of the Galaxy (I felt the same way in the Avengers films tbh). Yeah, felt quite meh about this, maybe I'll enjoy it more on a re-watch at another time.

Minions: Rise of Gru - This was really funny, I really enjoyed the little mini adventures the minions get themselves into. They might work better as a series of just smaller adventures than big film outings.

EDIT:
Rather than double post. I ended up seeing Brian and Charles today. It was great, such a weird little film about an odd man in Wales building himself a robot. Go and check it out if you can because it's really good. Cabbages!

Last edited:

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Elvis - I'm not really a big Elvis fan and didn't know much about him, but that didn't stop from really enjoying this one. Austin Butler play's the part so well that you actually forget it's not the real Elvis. Was a really interesting film and the story (of his life, basically) was captivated tremendously in such a short space of time.

Would highly recommend!

peep

CF Legend
Ah, forgot to write about 2 other films I saw at the end of June. Thanks @Scott Lannigan for writing about Elvis and jogging my brain!

Elvis - I really liked this, some of the editing felt a little erratic (especially near the start of the film) but I thought Austin Butler did a great job picking up the mannerisms of Elvis. I wasn't really sold on the accent Tom Hanks was using. I usually find films that try and tell someone's life story miss huge chunks of important bits, feel too rushed or just plain boring - this film managed to tread that thin line and while it felt like it was going really fast it worked really well. If you haven't had a chance to watch it yet, go check it out.

Lightyear - Pixar know how to make their films look incredible but this was a very mediocre film. I did enjoy pretty much everything the robot cat said/did and the plot twist is decent but I still left feeling a bit meh about the film.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Prey - Finally, a decent Predator movie. Not amazing, wouldn't call it an absolute must-see, but easily the best one since the original Ah-Nuld classic.
Some questionable dialogue in places, a few dodgy CGI animals but otherwise a fairly enjoyable, suspenseful little monster mash.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
NOPE - Been a big fan of Jordan Peele's other two movies (Us & Get Out) so when I seen the trailer for this, I knew I had to see it.

Without going into spoilers, I will say that this was not what I expected it to be at all. Whilst there were some moments of the film that didn't feel quite as 'horror' as I would have liked, there was some scenes that more than made up for it (a few moments actually made me feel genuinely uncomfortable watching it, but that's what this kind of film is for).

It is probably 25% and 75% sci-fi but it totally worked. It's a solid 8.5/10 for me, could have been a little better and more scarier in some parts but overall, I thought it was great.

Out of Nope, Us and Get Out, I'd definitely say this is my least favourite (not that it's a bad thing however!)

peep

CF Legend
Bullet Train - I had a really good time, it's very stupid but exactly what I wanted to see. Everything about it is ridiculous and for me that worked to its advantage. I was surprised how it kept on going though and one of the plot twists was perfect.

Nope - I liked this, some of the scenes are really horrifying and brutal, there are many moments I'd love to talk about but its best left to go see it for yourselves and leave as much as a surprise as possible. Like Scott this is probably my least favourite of Peele's films but thats just because he's made some absolutely great films.

Bodies Bodies Bodies - Saw this at an early preview last night. I was not a fan. There are some very funny moments in here and I appreciated a lot of the intense build ups but overall it left me feeling meh. I want a phone with their battery power though!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Orphan: First Kill

I love the first film and I don't care. This was entertaining enough. It seemed to deliberately lean into the ridiculousness and camp that was mostly accidental in the original.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
to @peep and @Scott Lannigan coming from a big sci fi fan but very much not a horror fan should i take a shot at Nope?
Bearing in mind ive not seen his other 2 films because they didnt appeal to me but this one at least got my attention with the trailer.

peep

CF Legend
@roomraider Not sure I can recommend 100%, if you do end up seeing it I'd like to know your thoughts.

I seen a few films recently. Last weekend I started with RRR a big Bollywood movie that I have seen so much buzz for online. I missed the original UK release so caught it at The Prince Charles Cinema. It was a small but packed screening and it was at that perfect level of atmosphere where audience reactions to the film heightened the whole experience. The film is absurd in the best way possible, the lead actors are great, a lot of the vfx and action is fantastic and the main musical number was excellent fun. I actually loved it, a little long and tedious in places but the big set pieces more than make up for it. It's also really funny and I'm still not sure if intentional or not. If you can, I highly recommend seeing this with a good crowd.

Three thousand years of longing - I was intrigued by this film, great cast and director but I knew very little going in. It's ok. Some of the visuals are amazing and the banter between the two leads is captivating and fun. It does get a bit tiresome at times though, like I wanted it to go somewhere and do something interesting but it just started to plod along.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (extended edition) - Still absolutely love this film and the additional material was good fun (didn't seem like much more of the trio together which is what I thought they pitched this re-release as?) - also the after credit scene was a new long amusing scene. Actually most of the additional material was to do with the school news team, I quite liked it as I've found that side of this trilogy quite amusing. I also had to see this in 4DX because for some reason the re-release was only in non-standard formats. The motion was maybe a little too intense at times, regret having lunch just before the film.

See how they run - I was looking forward to this, a murder mystery with a great cast - sign me right up! I don't think I quite pieced together from the marketing how much this was going to be based around the play of the Mousetrap (a show I really should have seen by now). It's a fun film which is very silly and makes fun at times of the detective thriller genre stereotypes. I don't think it fully works, it spends a lot of time trying to be amusing but then has to spend long periods being serious to get the plot moving along. It's still fun and I enjoyed it but I feel it could have been better.

peep

CF Legend
Don't worry Darling - This is ok, I love the art deco World with a sense that something unusual is going on. The third act is ok, it's a decent twist but maybe rushes it a little. Harry Styles isn't a good actor, which in a film full of great actors really stands out.

Mrs Harris goes to Paris - I loved this, it's so sweet and wholesome with a wonderful cast. There were whole scenes where I just smiled, delightful.