What's new

"Now Showing"

mrclam

Giga Poster
Johnny said:
Good Will Hunting

I actually played the Robin Williams role in a play last year.

I agree with it being slow paced.. but then that's what the point of the movie is..

Slow paced story about finding your true self and moving on (leaving your comfort zone behind).

I enjoy it for what it is.. it's a great script - and actually raised both ben afleck and matt damon up in my book (up until working on this - i thought them both to be talentless hacks.. especially after pearl habour!)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I watched Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back last night.

I've never really had good memories of the old Star Wars films, but this was meant to be one of the better ones.

I agree.

The graphics were a bit lame, but considering how old they are they are actually quite impressive.

And, I had to pause it at one point because I couldn't stop laughing a Yoda. He was so funny. He reminded me of a Muppet.

Overall 8/10. Old, but stll rather good.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's rare that I watch a film but I was stressed yesterday so I decided to chill out with a smoke and crap DVD.

I watched Napoleon Dynamite

Basically it's another American teen high school type film. It follows a nerd trying to cope with his (equally desperate) family, making friends and of course, getting the girl.

I actually quite enjoyed it despite picking it as the least worst thing I could have watched.

It was almost Kevin Smith like before everybody knew who Kevin Smith was.

It flowed really well and there seemed to be a joke - albeit dry jokes - every minute. I wouldn't say it was LOL funny but it was certainly amusing and cheesy in places. Also, unlike most Yank-teen movies it wasn't that predictable!

I certainly wont watch it again as I think it would be boring a second time round but as a one off, light crappy entertainment, it's worth a go.

7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hixee said:
I watched Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back last night.

I've never really had good memories of the old Star Wars films, but this was meant to be one of the better ones.

I agree.

It's the best of the bunch in my opinion :) Every little classic bit of Star Wars is here. The battle of Hoth, Boba Fett, Yoda, Vader being Luke's dad - it's all in this one, and excellently directed to boot :)

Hixee said:
The graphics were a bit lame, but considering how old they are they are actually quite impressive.

Graphics??? That's honest model effects using hard graft and skill! :lol:

Hixee said:
And, I had to pause it at one point because I couldn't stop laughing a Yoda. He was so funny. He reminded me of a Muppet.

Designed by Jim Henson, operated and voiced by Frank Oz (Gonzo, Fozzy Bear, Miss Piggy) - so not really any surprise there! :lol:

Johnny

Hyper Poster
For the first time ever, I saw Saw.

I've seen very few horrors, and the last one I saw on a similar scale was Creep, which wasn't bad, but it was cool jumping into something as famous as this.

I really liked it. I wasn't really scared to be honest though but it was still quite suspenseful, with some awesome scenes, and the flashbacks weren't too boring thankfully. But it was the twist at the end that got me. Just brilliant.

I'd say 8 or 9/10.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Johnny said:
For the first time ever, I saw Saw.

I've seen very few horrors, and the last one I saw on a similar scale was Creep, which wasn't bad, but it was cool jumping into something as famous as this.

I really liked it. I wasn't really scared to be honest though but it was still quite suspenseful, with some awesome scenes, and the flashbacks weren't too boring thankfully. But it was the twist at the end that got me. Just brilliant.

I'd say 8 or 9/10.

If you're going to continue, stop at Saw 2. They just keep getting more and more terrible.

I saw Untraceable.

The movie was basically saw. The killer kidnapped people, took them to their basement and broadcasted their death on 'KillWithMe.com' and the more people who logged on, the quicker they died. They were torture like just like Saw and the killer kept changing positions.

6/10

Johnny

Hyper Poster
If you're going to continue, stop at Saw 2. They just keep getting more and more terrible.
I was just gonna say that I was intrigued to watch the next three :). At least I didn't do what my friend did and go straight to Saw IV without watching the first three lol.

Oh, by the way:

2615884385_b155fa78c8.jpg

Also, unlike most Yank-teen movies it wasn't that predictable!

Yeah, I agree. I think to me, Napoleon Dynamite, aside from having what I found to be some hilarious moments, the characters were actually likeable outcasts, rather than popular, slutty teenagers. It also wasn't all about partying, which made it different from a lot of movies in the same genre.

As for whoever mentioned Saw, I think you should watch the first three. Four was a pile of crap, though there's not a doubt in my mind that I'll be going to see five. If it's as confusing as four, I'll be so pissed.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I refuse to see Saw 5, since 4 completely stunk. Vote with your wallet or they'll keep making the sodding things!

I saw 2 films over the weekend. Prince Caspian, which is so much better than the first Narnia film, excellent children's fantasy film. Some of the kids are still annoying and can't act, but it's a decent story well told, has superb effects, and they get the tone pretty much spot on. Plus it has Eddie Izzard as a warrior mouse and Peter Dinklage as a grumpy dwarf :). 8/10

Also caught up with Zodiac, based on the true story of the infamous San Francisco serial killer. David Fincher is a quality film-maker and this just confirms it, a long film of talking heads and zero action which is still fascinating to watch. The detail in the film is fantastic and it's a great cast, very little to fault. 9/10

Furie said:
ILM - I now hate you!
You don't really mean that....especially after their stunning work on Iron Man....do you? :?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Slayed said:
Also caught up with Zodiac, based on the true story of the infamous San Francisco serial killer. David Fincher is a quality film-maker and this just confirms it, a long film of talking heads and zero action which is still fascinating to watch. The detail in the film is fantastic and it's a great cast, very little to fault. 9/10

I have to disagree! I thought the film was tedious. It was well directed, but bland and irritating. It's not Fincher's fault, but the source material. I'd have found the book equally as tedious and dull to be honest. It's an interesting subject, presented badly.

Slayed said:
Furie said:
ILM - I now hate you!
You don't really mean that....especially after their stunning work on Iron Man....do you? :?

Yes I do! :D They cannot redeem themselves - ever! :lol:

Slayed

Hyper Poster
furie said:
I thought the film was tedious. It was well directed, but bland and irritating.
That's the nature of it though. It had me absorbed, I think *because* it stayed realistic and rambling and wasn't falsely remodelled to fit the standard movie template.

furie said:
Yes I do! :D They cannot redeem themselves - ever! :lol:
*cries* It's not their fault, CGI would have happened anyway, and they can only do what's asked of them!

Although WETA probably have the VFX crown at the moment.

Anyway, taking my mum to see The Mist tonight, bring on the rubber monsters :p.

When that came out, nobody I went with to see it at the theatre liked it, except me. It wasn't really a top film for me, but I didn't think it was as bad as everyone was saying. I think that can be attributed to the fact that I have watched a lot of crime shows on the Zodiac Killer, and I knew a lot about him beforehand.

But yeah, I watched Sleepaway Camp last night, which I hadn't seen since I was about six. It's not as good as Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3, but it's still an old, cheesy horror flick which is what I wanted when I put it on. The deaths weren't as exciting as in the other two films (you can't really compare the deaths in this one to being shoved down a portapotty and such), but overall it was good for being old and cheese-filled.

6.5/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Almost said:
Agreed, Saw two is the best in the series. But the others are worth watching just for the sake of it.

I saw Untraceable.
So did I. :p

The movie was basically saw. The killer kidnapped people, took them to their basement and broadcasted their death on 'KillWithMe.com' and the more people who logged on, the quicker they died. They were torture like just like Saw and the killer kept changing positions.

6/10

Pretty much explains everything. But I'm not sure on what I would give it. I was expecting some pretty grewsome and awesome scenes, but there were only 3 challenges and only the last one would of been any good but she escaped lol. :p

Also the site hits are impossible. :lol:

Pretty much explains everything. But I'm not sure on what I would give it. I was expecting some pretty grewsome and awesome scenes, but there were only 3 challenges and only the last one would of been any good but she escaped lol.

Um, I thought the one where the guy got light bulbed to death was pretty gruesome if you ask me! And I have always been a fan of acid scenes so the one with acid was pretty good too.

The Simpsons Movie

Wow.. what crap.

5/10

Simpsons Movie is awesome, I don't even care what anyone says :p .

I watched Charlie Bartlett, which I had seen at the video store a few weeks ago and thought it looked kinda cute. My stepdad brought it home today so I figured I'd give it a watch. It was actually pretty good; maybe not quite on par with say Juno, or Superbad, but the storyline was pretty different and the characters were likeable. It also had a lot of funny moments and stuff, so yeah, worth a rental for sure!

8.3/10

Snoo

The Legend
Taylor, The Simpsons stopped being funny 10 years ago.. and that was when I LIKED them.

They really just need to kill the series.