What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
John91 said:
^Ahh I remember when that post was directed at me.

Yes, but at least you recognised that it was an okay film - you're just spoiled by modern cinema a little, and thought it was alright, but couldn't see what the fuss was about. The post was to try and direct you to understand why the film is so acclaimed :)

Ollie is just utterly wrong :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
Yes but Ollie said:
Now everyone's probably going to have a massive go at me for what I'm about to say but it is my personal opinion.

The problem is, you can't always hide behind 'personal opinion'.

Personally, I think The Mona Lisa is pretty bland. In fact, give me a Batman comic over a Picasso any day.

However, that doesn't mean that I think that Da Vinci, or Picasso are rubbish. I just understand that I have a limited knowledge of what makes great 'art'. I am not well studied in that area, so have a very simplistic 'I like what I like' kind of view of art. I just want something which I find pleasing to my eye.

It doesn't mean you can't think that Alien is a waste of space - of course you can - but it's all about understanding that the reason you don't like it when it's generally raved about - is due to a lack of 'education' in that area. Probably due to the fact you're more interested in being entertained, than you are studying a film as a piece of art.

Personally, I like both. I have studied direction and cinematography techniques, and tend to watch a film with a very critical eye, looknig for these things. If a film is 'good', I can usualy say exactly what it is that makes it good.

Sometimes, I like to switch off and just enjoy the ride too. So I rate films like Transformers (and even Cloverfield to a degree) quite highly. They're mindless entertainment, and satisfy a need.

Each to their own, but sometimes you do need to understand that there may be something you're not quite grasping, which is why people are saying you're silly for not liking Alien! :lol:

Ben

CF Legend
Yes, but there's only a certain extent to which that "personal opinion" speech can be used.

For example, it was Taylor's personal opinion that the World's going to end in four years, but she was still utterly wrong by all measurable accounts.

And you are even more wrong then she was.

Ollie

CF Legend
furie said:
is due to a lack of 'education' in that area. Probably due to the fact you're more interested in being entertained, than you are studying a film as a piece of art.

Thats why I took Media/ Film Studies as an option in school so I could look beyond what a film had to offer. I just found it really bland and dull. I hate films with a depressive atmosphere and the film didn't get my pulse going at all. Yes, the camera work and effects (for back then) were really good. It's just the slow pace of the story and how silly it is. I mean there's a giant alien on their ship and they spend half the time acting like it's not there until they send someone of to find it.
It's also really predictable. Of course at the end when she escapes from the exploding ship the Alien's still going to be with her on her little shuttle. I think that's what bored me as you could tell what was going to happen about two minutes in advance.

I'm not saying it's an awful film, I just found it really dull and un-entertaining.

So yes it is a good film if you look at it from the effects, sets and that feeling of being in space. But overall the lack of a decent storyline where hardly anything happens and the slow pace throws that all away.

marc

CF Legend
The thing with the Alien films just like some other ones is that in 50 years time they will still be watched, people will still remember them and talk about them. A film like Alien was so hard to make there was no CGI it was all models and live action and for me that made the film better as it had much more atmosphere. I agree the 1st one is a bit slow to start with but then its none stop action. The amount of people that were scared when the Alien came out his chest was shocking, its still put down as one of the best effects of all time no one has ever seen anything like that before.

The story line is there and its a bloody good one, if you understand it :) Its a si-fi film you are always going to work out what happens next. But if you did not know the story would you have known the Alien was going to come out his chest? did you know that guy was a robot? Ripley was always going to escape as they made more films, but would you have known this at the time?

Ben I agree with you about Resurrection. I liked the film, I liked the story and action just the baby bit was a bit silly.

What films in the last 3 years will be talked about in 20 years time? apart from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings?

Anyway I watched Rambo4 the other night. It was an ok action film. Some of it was a bit graphic but I enjoyed it and it does what it says on the tin really. 1st bloody is still the best Rambo film.

Lain

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Thats why I took Media/ Film Studies as an option in school so I could look beyond what a film had to offer. I just found it really bland and dull. I hate films with a depressive atmosphere and the film didn't get my pulse going at all. Yes, the camera work and effects (for back then) were really good. It's just the slow pace of the story and how silly it is. I mean there's a giant alien on their ship and they spend half the time acting like it's not there until they send someone of to find it.
It's also really predictable. Of course at the end when she escapes from the exploding ship the Alien's still going to be with her on her little shuttle. I think that's what bored me as you could tell what was going to happen about two minutes in advance.

I'm not saying it's an awful film, I just found it really dull and un-entertaining.

So yes it is a good film if you look at it from the effects, sets and that feeling of being in space. But overall the lack of a decent storyline where hardly anything happens and the slow pace throws that all away.

You're still wrong, though.

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
I hate films with a depressive atmosphere.

Depressive? I find it Claustrophobic. They are just normal people on a tiny towing ship (they dont live on the big tower thing) they cant do anything due the small space they have.

I mean there's a giant alien on their ship and they spend half the time acting like it's not there until they send someone of to find it.

1. It takes half the movie for it to actually appere
2. When it does appere they all look for it.

It's also really predictable.

Thing on face? Acid?(although those could be explaind from you watching AVP)

Of course at the end when she escapes from the exploding ship the Alien's still going to be with her on her little shuttle.But overall the lack of a decent storyline where hardly anything happens

Were you even paying attention to what Ripley was doing? Watch the sequals.

marc

CF Legend
I think when you watch films in the wrong order you have to put all the other films out of your mind.

It happened with Star Wars, everyone always thought it was about Luke but no it was always about his father and that he would bring order to the force. In the end he did and thats what it was about.

Sorry going off a bit there, but you must watch Alien not knowing there were other films, yes its hard to do.

Ben

CF Legend
Ha, I'm watching The Producers for the first time in like, years.

And I've only just realised how terrible the music is, and how much worse Broderick is, and how ultimately awful the direction is.

However, Nathan Lane <3.

Ollie

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
But did you know about it?

I knew nothing about them apart form people saying how good it was.
I already knew what the adult aliens looked like though from the trailer of AvP.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Ha, I'm watching The Producers for the first time in like, years.

And I've only just realised how terrible the music is, and how much worse Broderick is, and how ultimately awful the direction is.

However, Nathan Lane <3.

Haha! I told you so! :lol: :p

Ollie, just to continue bashing you :lol: I realised something last night.

You gave Alien a 4/10 - two reasons being it was predictable and poorly acted. Yet you rated I am Legend 8/10 and Cloverfield 10/10 - two of the most utterly predictable and poorly acted films for a long time. I'm not saying I disagree whole-heartedly with your ratings (I'd knock them down a mark or two, but nothing drastic), but it seems that maybe your taste is in question here ;) :p :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
I rate on overall enjoyment though.

I highly enjoyed Cloverfield and even though I've seen it five times now it still never fails to get my pulse going and give you that tingly feeling whenever something happens. I rated I am Legend an 8 because everyone else kept throwing it down and I thought it was quite good overall apart from the ending.

Alien I was bored all the way through and at the end it left me thinking "is that it?"

So after all the acting and predictability I rate it on how much I enjoyed the film. If it's good then you want to go off and tell everyone how good it was and talk to your friends about it.
Alien did none of these apart making me tell them not to waste their time with it. :p

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Good Will Hunting

It's about a young janitor (Matt Damon) working at a top university, who's mathematical ability is higher than some of the teachers and students.

Slightly disappointing for me, however, I was pretty tired while watching it so I probably didn't take it all in properly. It's just that I was expecting the pace of it to be a lot quicker.

But the screenplay was still brilliant, as were the performances from the cast. It was cool seeing Robin Williams have a different role to a comedic one in this film, for which he pulled off well. Worthy of the Oscar he won!

8/10 for now.

peep

CF Legend
Last night finally got to see Wanted :D . I really wanted to see it on opening day last week but didn't get a chance to so was overwhelmed I got to see it last night. I had very high expectations for this film as the Russian director is an absolute legend as I love his Russian films Night watch and Day watch. His direction is always amazing and has kinda taken the Matrix style and made it his own. Remember that viral video that went round every office of some office worker smashing everything up? Well thats a subliminal advert for this film :p

So yeah, high expectations, but did it meet them? Hell yeah, if anything it was far better than I expected. It was a little slow to begin with but its all necessary as everything is set up, you realize what a nobody James McAvoy's character is and how much his life changes in a split second. The action is far superior to most action films released and although a lot of it is highly unrealistic it really gets your heart pumping and you get immersed into this high action world. The film also contains lots of amusing moments, very dead pan. I also think that James McAvoy was excellent in the role and I can't imagine any other actor filling in such a demanding role.

This film really is something else and I will recommend to all, unless you don't like gore :p Everything about this film is superb and really well made. I also love the plot twists near the end, fantastic, especially the decoy :p

Rating: 4.5/5

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I also think that James McAvoy was excellent in the role and I can't imagine any other actor filling in such a demanding role.
I saw in an interview that he was one of the last people the producers thought of when looking for the actor for the role lol.