What's new

"Now Showing"

Ollie

CF Legend
Ooh, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are doing another film together. :D
That's all you need to know to be positive that the film will be brilliant.

But If you want to know more...
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are going to star in another film together.

The pair have already had massive hits with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and are now working on a new project called Paul.

Simon told Newsbeat: "It's a road movie about two British geeks called Graham and Clive who travel across America with a passenger.

"It's very funny. I'm perhaps the most pleased with it of anything I've ever done. It's going to be good."

They're due to start shooting it towards the end of this year.

Cringe comedy

Life's busy for Simon at the moment as he promotes his latest film How To Lose Friends And Alienate People.

It also stars Jeff Bridges and X Files' Gillian Anderson.

Simon's character has a lot of embarrassing moments with famous people, and it sounds like it didn't come naturally for him.

He said: "I personally don't like cringe comedy. I hate embarrassment, I have a thing about it.

Nick Frost and Simon Pegg
Frost and Pegg's project is about two geeks driving across the US

"I can't watch Big Brother contestants being evicted because I can't stand the look on their faces.

"But in this film you kind of take a bit of pleasure in his idiocy."

He's also been filming the new Star Trek movie in which he plays Scotty.

But he's been sworn to secrecy for fear of his life. Or at least his wallet.

Spaced out?

He added: "You sign an agreement and if you break it they'll sue you. It's as simple as that.

"If I was to give away a plot detail now I would be in big trouble legally. That's a big incentive."

The actor also told Newsbeat he is actually quite pleased that the American version of his TV show Spaced hasn't taken off.

A US pilot was made, but there's not much chance they will make a series.

He said: "I'd hesitate to sort of cheer just because I know there are obviously other actors involved in it.

"But the fact is it went ahead without our sort of... anything to do with us and we were a little bit disappointed. So the fact that it's not being picked up is good news for us I guess."

LINK!

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
If you mostly enjoyed it, surely it's worth more than 5.5.
I'm tight :p.

Despite the visual audacity, and the opening 20 minutes which has excellent narrative structure, it gets rather messy and long after that, the dialogue is the usual Warchowski nonsense, and they chose to do some weird layering effect with the CGI backgrounds (probably to mimic a cartoon strip) that didn't work for me - Heroes does it much better.

Joey said:
When a film is that pretty who gives a toss about anything else.
I like my visuals too, but it's not everything! :)

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Mystic River

This is the second Clint Eastwood directed/produced film I've seen after Million Dollar Baby (which is excellent), so I was anticipating this highly.

It's about three friends who are brought together (after drifting apart as children) by the murder of the daughter of one of the friends. One is a suspect and another is the cop. The rest of the story follows the mystery of the murder.

I wasn't disappointed. The story, the scenes and the acting were brilliant. Both Sean Penn and Tim Robbins in particular both deserve the Oscars they received for their roles. If it weren't for LotR: The Return of the King, I'd be willing to bet that Mystic River would've won at least one more of the Oscars it was nominated for.

Awesome film. Watch it.

9/10.

John91

Mega Poster
Got quite a few here.
Raiders of the Lost Ark. Only saw it for the first time earlier and my god. It is absolutely brilliant. The film is well deserved of it's classic status. 10/10

Clerks. Kevin Smith's first film. What the hell is the best way to describe it. It is easily the weirdest film i've seen in quite a while. It's vulgar, disgusting and many other things, but it is still one of the funniest films I've seen in years. 10/10

Mallrats. Again a huge WTF for this film. Funny, zany but has something lacking in comparison to most of Kevin Smith's other films. 7/10

Chasing Amy. More of a weird heartfelt film than all of Kevin Smith's others (you can tell i'm a fan can't you). It is good in the way it actually uses Ben Affleck for good rather than evil. 9/10

Purple Rain. Meh really. The only good part I felt was when The Time did jungle love. 5/10

PS, I love you Absolute ****ing garbage. Never again in my life 0/10

peep

CF Legend
furie said:
peep, you're thinking of the cult 80's video nasty 'Evil Dead' directed by Sam Raimi and starring Bruce Campbell - not the 'game to movie' tosh which is Resident Evil (actually, I quite liked the first one, and the second was alright as well, in a 'leave your taste at the door' kind of way)

Evil dead is aged pap, which spawned the sublime Evil Dead II - Dead by Dawn. However, Evil Dead is fab and everyone in the world should watch it :lol:

I must have had an off day, I've seen both films and they are very different, lol, oh well.

Anyways after my mission to watch everything Indiana Jones related before tomorrow night's screening of the Crystal Skull I can announce that I achieved my silly and very uber-fan goal. Within a short period I watched all 22 episodes (each an hour and a half long) of Young Indiana Jones (which is bloody amazing, highly recommend) and the first three films. One is very happy but also understands that one is now seen as very sad :p

Onto reviews...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. This is probably my least watched film out of the three, but that doesn't mean I think its terrible, I think its a great film. Yeah it would have been ten times better if that women didn't scream all the way through but apart from her its excellent. The story is great and (like the other two films) it just keeps going, never really slowing down and its also great to have Short round there for light amusement.

Rating: 4/5

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Harrison Ford + Sean Connery = AWESOME TIME :D If you think this film is emotional because of the relationship between Indy and his father go watch the Young Indiana Jones and be prepared to feel even more for the characters in this film, so much back story its stupid (in a good way). I do love this film though and I think its the best out of the trilogy.

Rating: 5/5

Hopefully I'll be able to post my review of the Crystal Skull tomorrow night/early Friday morning, until then, goodnight :D

P.S. Woopage, Ben loves Pulp Fiction!

Ollie

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
What Happens in Vegas

Umm, well I heard really horrible reviews for this movie, but despite being disgustingly predictable, it was actually pretty cute, and funny. Cameron and Ashton were good in this one, though I still think Something About Mary is Cameron's best to date! So yeah, it had a few funny bits but if you want to see something with a non-predictable storyline and a complex plot, this isn't for you! If you don't go in expecting much, you'll enjoy it.

6.9/10

Who then wrote:

Aw, that looks cute, and I'm not into sappy, cheesefest movies like that.

;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
I've been a fan for ages, just everyone else jumping on the hype :p

I've seen all three... At their cinema release... Twice! Then watched the trilogy back to back! Being a kid in the 80's was awesome! :lol:

Going to make my way to the cinema at the weekend to see Crystal Skull and to be disappointed :lol:

ROTLA is still the best in terms of general filming tightness, but Last Crusade is much better made film. If ROTLA had been made in the 90's, it would have been the best film ever.

Anyway, after all the chat about Friday the 13th, I finally watched it. I've never seen the film [/shame] and recorded it on the Virgin Plus box about four months ago. Just never really had the time of inclination to watch it. It's not incredibly awful, but it's close :lol: Cheesy though, so I can forgive it :)

I also watched Borat finally last night. Not really my cup of tea to be honest. I'm not really into watching people being made fools of, it's immature even by my standards on that scale :lol: Still, it had some real LOL moments on occasion, but was pretty hard to watch generally. I was never a big fan of Cohen anyway...

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I saw Raiders on an amazingly clear pirate video, 7 months before it's UK cinema release, with zero hype, on Christmas Eve 1980, when I was (almost) 11. (I know, it sounds like bull, but I swear it's true!).

I've never been so blown away by a film since, it changed my life and I utterly, utterly adore it :D.

So the odds are that Crystal Skulls won't be able to match Raiders for me, but I don't care, I love the character and it's the same team back together again.

I do however think that apart from the Connery/Ford interplay, Last Crusade is total rubbish! :lol: Temple of Doom may be patchy but the mine car sequence forgives everything.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Am I the first one here to see Crystal Skull then?

I just got back from the cinema. I don't want to say too much and give anything away, so I won't go into detail about plot.

I enjoyed it up to a point. I like how it acknowledged that Indy is obviously older now, didn't try to gloss over Harrison Ford's age, and changed the period of the movie to fit that.

It had all the fights/stunts/chases you would expect, along with the corny one-liners. Cate Blanchett was great as the villain, but I thought her accent was a bit dodgy at times. Meh, no biggy.

I was disappointed with the ending. There wasn't much of a build up at all. It seemed to just happen, and just left me feeling really unsatisfied. Also, I felt the final scene could/should have been cut out. The sentimentality of it almost ruined the film for me.

The sci-fi element to the film really didn't work either in my opinion. It just felt "wrong" when compared to the religious imagery in the other films, though you could argue that there's no real difference there.

Anyway, I enjoyed it well enough. It's definitely worth watching, whether you're a fan of the other three or not. I think it's always hard to add an "extra" movie to a trilogy, but a pretty good job was done here.

8/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Ooh Gavin you got in there first ya bitch! :p 5 more hours for me.

What you said pretty much echoes what I've heard elsewhere, so I think my expectations are set about right.

Can't see any other film this year generating this much buzz before release though. Maybe Dark Knight, or WALL-E if Disney get their marketing guns out.

Aw, that looks cute, and I'm not into sappy, cheesefest movies like that.

Wasn't my choice of movie! I hate cheesy points in movies, but at least What Happens in Vegas had some funny moments aside from the mozzarella fest.

I've been a fan for ages, just everyone else jumping on the hype

Haha, oh.

Well, as for the movie, there are people reviewing the movie on the morning news and they say it's nothing great, but according to IMDB it's in the top 200 films. However, people were rating it before it even came out, so that rating is pretty unfair.

I dunno, I don't see all the hype. Never seen people jump on a bandwagon like this "I'm the hugest Indy Jones fan" bandwagon. I understand some people might be genuine fans, but before the movie was released I've never heard anyone mention anything about how much they like the trilogy.

The one where he gets chased by the ball is obvs the best.

peep

CF Legend
I really wanted to see Indy IV without reading reviews, now I've read 4 reviews in total (including Gavins), bern. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, tbh for just hearing the theme tune at a cinema through an amazing sound system will be good enough for me :D Everything else will be an added bonus.

I wish I was able to see the first three at the cinema too (goes searching for art house cinemas in London that could be doing such an event) but unfortunatly I was only born a couple of months before the release of the Last crusade, somehow I don't think I would have been able to go then :p

Btw Mark, I don't believe you about the viewing of Indy in advance and the Dark knight and Wall.e are probably going to/have the same amount of hype.

Mark

Strata Poster
Wall E is going to get lots more I reckon.

Tha Dark Knight would have had more hype, but because of the death of Ledger they have had to change their marketing strategy. You may remember a lot of the early posters and so on were totally focused on the Joker aspect. Hence the tag line "Why So Serious". After he died they essentially had to re direct all marketing to be more about Batman itself, rather then the huge deal that having the Joker in a new film was.

I still feel that once Indy has been on a bit and slightly nearer the summer the Batman thing is going to go nuts.

Dont forget also, the next Harry Potter is coming in November and we all know just how much hype that will carry!

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Well, back from Crystal Skull. Interesting.

On the plus side, it's great to see Indy again, Ford is so good at it. All the actors do pretty well and some of the dialogue and interplay is great. To a large extent it *looks* like an Indy film too, which helps; the tone is almost right, and the action is great.

On the downside, if it took them THAT long to find a story they all liked, you'd expect it to be a blinder! But no - it fizzles out in a fairly unsatiisfying fashion, which is a crying shame with this much talent involved. It lacks drama as welll, and goes beyond preposterous at some points. And all that guff from Spielberg about not using CGI? LOL! It's rammed with it :lol:.

Aside from the story, the key problem is that it's been too long since we saw Indy, both as a character and in the film's own timeline - we're missing at least one interim film. So it becomes too much of a jump for us to comfortably follow. WHY didn't they make one 10 years ago!

At one point early in the film the Ark music kicks in, just briefly, and the hairs on my neck stood up. Nothing in this comes close to matching that. So not a classic, but extremely watchable, and for me more enjoyable than Last Crusade. 7/10 (for the characters & quality FX)

peep said:
Btw Mark, I don't believe you about the viewing of Indy in advance
True, I swear! Ask my mum :p.

Mark said:
Dont forget also, the next Harry Potter is coming in November
I had forgotten - that wins then! It's a money making machine.

Bitter

Mega Poster
I just watched it too, and also thought it an enjoyable action film, but not really up with the other films. It's been a while since I saw those though, so I may just be remembering them through rose tinted glasses.
I thought the ending was alright, but the story in general just lacked... something.

Maybe i needed to see it in good quality in a cinema...

peep

CF Legend
Just got back from Indy.

So glad I saw it tonight, the fans were out in force, it sold out at the 2000+ cinema in Leicester Square and the fedora hats, leather jackets and satchels were all out. The certificate came up at the beginning and the audience went wild, it was amazing, the energy was immense. Then it started....

I feel it started ok, doesn't take long for the first piece of action to begin, always a good sign. I was surprised at how quickly we are introduced to Cate Blanchett and straight away I became annoyed by her accent. I have to admit that Ray Winstone was quite good and at times added some nice amusing moments. I have to agree with Slayed that it looks like an Indy film but there is way too much CGI used (especially nearer to the end), damn you Mr Spielberg for lying!

I loved the hints at some of the past stories (including Young Indy) but I felt there was one scene where they slowed it down too much and just thought of looking back at sad moments (which we never see) that just feels pointless and a waste of time.

The main problem I found was the big secret near the middle, in a way it was nice and it also created some amusing lines nearer the end but it felt too meh and rushed. I find the biggest problem with the film is the ending, it could have been a lot better like the one in the Last crusade, this time it has been left too open for the franchise to continue and in a way thats quite annoying, I would rather see what happens in between the adventures etc rather than see what they have planned.

Overall it was a great film, very entertaining but like everyone else is saying, it lacks something which kinda makes it bad in comparison with the first three. I'll still give it 4/5 stars though.

Btw Bitter, if you watched the film on pirate you should slap yourself and then cry in a corner for twenty years.

Bitter

Mega Poster
Meh, I wasn't that fussed about spending money on it anyways. Besides I'm a poor student... have sympathy :(.

Boys don't cry.