What's new

"Now Showing"

big john

Mega Poster
Furie serenety is a lot better if you have watched the tv series firefly first it makes more sence and also you know the story and characters better

thx

Mega Poster
Here's a few films I've seen recently:

Conan - The Barbarian: It was all right, nice sort of saga or adventure-tale, hmm... don't know what else to say really. 6/10

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Didn't really like this, it was a bit boring and it sort of lacked something compared to the other HP films. 5.6/10

Collateral: Really great, awesome atmosphere, different, interesting and exciting and just overall pretty much flawless. 9/10

Broken Arrow: Didn't look too bad in the beginning, but then it all started to get worse and a bit boring, over 60%of the movie was just shooting and explosions, which was ok for sometime, but became really too much, but it's a John Woo movie, so that kinda explains it. 5/10

No Country for Old Men: Awesome for a long way from the start, then it dropped back a bit, but in the end it improved again, overall it was quite a masterpiece, got in my top10, maybe even top5 movies. Also it was really nice to see some deserts and nice views, you don't really see in movies today that much and the acting was great and the movie evoke some thoughts. 9.6/10

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I'll have to echo what Big John is saying, Phil... You should consider checking out the Firefly series that Serenity was based off of. It focuses a lot more on the character development and explains some of the things that the movie leaves out. By the end of the series (even the first episode which is like a movie in itself), the characters all seem more real and I think really add to the movie's appeal.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I just watched Crash, which I'd been meaning to watch since we hired it last week.

It began brilliantly, but it did get slightly confusing a little later, but I soon picked up on what was going on. The ending didn't quite make sense to me either, but when I read a little more about the film plotline and that, it all made sense. So if I saw it again, I'm sure I'd rate it even higher.

Excellent performances all round too, especially from Thandie Newton. Oh, and the soundtrack was fantastic.

8½/10.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Serenity : 6/10 - bit crap if you didnt see the series.
FireFly : 8/10.. had SOooo much potential.. DAMN YOU FOX!

John91

Mega Poster
Saw Dogma on TV earlier.
This is without a doubt one of the best films i've seen, and easily the funniest thing i've seen from the 90's. The story is excellent, acting is awesome and God is a complete basket case. Truly awesome film.
11/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
CedarPoint6 said:
I'll have to echo what Big John is saying, Phil... You should consider checking out the Firefly series that Serenity was based off of. It focuses a lot more on the character development and explains some of the things that the movie leaves out. By the end of the series (even the first episode which is like a movie in itself), the characters all seem more real and I think really add to the movie's appeal.

I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of Firefly, but it just didn't really do much for me. I don't know why, just one of those things, but I did give it a go.

The thing is, everyone is raving about the film - then saying "well, it's only THAT good if you've watched the series". It's like the Lost game John - it's not a great game, but it IS for a fan of Lost, because of the way it interacts with something you love.

From a none Firefly fan point, Serenity is an okay film. It's very competently made, acted, written, etc. It's just that it never really ever gets 'great'.

I don't see if you get what I mean? I love woodies, so will also rate them better than steelies, because of my personal preference, but I understand it's just because of my preference there twisting my view, and know that really, they're not as good as I think :lol:

Anyway, I'm currently watch The Nightmare Before Christmas again for the 8th time in two days. Maxi-Minor_Furie has discovered it and loves it. He knows most of the words now :lol:

Okay, so it's been a favourite film of mine for a long time, and I've seen it countless number of times - but I still love it. It's very much a love it or 'meh' it film, and it's aged quite badly (Tim Burton's work always ages badly), but I can stil lsit and watch it more than half a dozen times a day with the ankle biter - it's certainly better than some of the ****e I'm forced to site through). 9/10 :)

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Sat and watched Epic Movie tonight as it was being shown on Sky,what a load of complete and utter bollocks.

If that was supposed to be comedy,then it fails miserably.

Which is a shame as it stars Jennifer Coolidge who I find hilarious,especially in Legally Blonde,but even her parts didn't raise a smile.

I want that wasted time back.

Verdict:Crap

John91

Mega Poster
annwndog said:
Sat and watched Epic Movie tonight as it was being shown on Sky,what a load of complete and utter bollocks.

If that was supposed to be comedy,then it fails miserably.

Which is a shame as it stars Jennifer Coolidge who I find hilarious,especially in Legally Blonde,but even her parts didn't raise a smile.

I want that wasted time back.

Verdict:Crap
I could not agree more with that verdict.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Could I have been any more God-damn spastic?
Lol, I love her in that too.

The "Bend and snap" scene from that film,is probably one of the few occasions,that I laughed until I couldn't breathe. :lol:

mrclam

Giga Poster
I didnt like nightmare before christmas

it seems to me to be one of those films that only goff people pretend to like to appear to be more goff like

:lol:

I found it fairly boring the first time i saw it.

And still find it boring now.

Style over content.

I can see why goffs like it though

Snoo

The Legend
The Beach.

Well.. I dunno.. Leo didn't exactly turn me on, but it had a good storyline I thought.. went WAY out there for a bit, but I thought it was a decent movie.

7.5/10

David

Mega Poster
Last night I watched Not Another Teen Movie and Eurotrip.

Not Another Teen Movie was funny in parts but it seemed to drag on a bit.

6/10.

Eurotrip. I had only ever seen certain parts of this movie, so was glad to see it all the way through. I thought it was brilliant and spent most of the movie in fits of laughter. American Pie is still, of course, the best teen comedy out there, but this gave it a run for its money.

9/10.

Well.. I dunno.. Leo didn't exactly turn me on, but it had a good storyline I thought.. went WAY out there for a bit, but I thought it was a decent movie.

Leo as in, Leonardo DiCaprio? If anyone is turned on by him, they have some mental health issues.

Also David, Not Another Teen Movie was horrible. I can't even believe I wasted my money on that, even though I was in a bin at Wal Mart for like, five bucks. I didn't see half the movies they spoofed though, so that could've been the problem.

Ollie

CF Legend
At the moment i'm watching Pan's Labyrinth.
So far it's really good, it has a strong plotline, and great special effects.
I will write a review tommorow. :p

Ollie, Pan's Labyrinth is a fantastic movie! I can't really stress how surprised I was when I watched it though. I figured it was going to be a nice little fantasy movie, but uh I was wrong, let's just leave it at that, haha. It turned out to be one of my personal favourites though.

What's with movies with the name Labyrinth in them though? They all seem to be like, so awesome. Jim Henson's Labyrinth, tied for my all time favourite movie with Wizard of Oz, and then Pan's Labyrinth which is in my top ten films.

Anyway, American Psycho was a pretty good movie actually. Was a perfect length (can't stand all of the ninety three hour movies they have these days), and had a pretty good storyline with some crazy scenes thrown in.

I'll give it 8/10.

Ollie

CF Legend
Pans Labyrinth
Well i've seen it all now. Fantastic film, if on the gory side (which is good.:) )
And it's now taken number 3 on my top ten films. :D

It's worth a watch, but be warned. It ain't no pretty Fairy tale. ;)

Johnny

Hyper Poster
The Departed

Just saw it, AWESOME movie. Felt much longer than it was, but that wasn't a bad thing at all. Amazing performances, brilliant plot, just awesome.

10/10.

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Leo as in, Leonardo DiCaprio? If anyone is turned on by him, they have some mental health issues.

See.. not long ago.. when i were a lad.. every teenage girl had a poster of him on their wall and thought mucky things about him.