What's new

"Now Showing"

Will

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
Anyway I watched The Happening last night. Wish I hadn't have bothered and got some sleep instead. It's just pointless and barely has a plot at all. It's just 90 minutes of bad acting and people committing suicide because of the wind and plants. It didn't have a twist like other Shayamalan films and was just a complete waste of time.
Oh, that was a mistake...
I switched off the TV on Saturday night on the basis that RadioTimes called that the film of the day, only to find Girl Interrupted was tucked away on Viva somewhere. Much more like it.
And it didn't have a stupid plot twist? What IS this madness?

Lain

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Anyway I watched The Happening last night. Wish I hadn't have bothered and got some sleep instead. It's just pointless and barely has a plot at all. It's just 90 minutes of bad acting and people committing suicide because of the wind and plants. It didn't have a twist like other Shayamalan films and was just a complete waste of time.

Shayamalan is a hack and all of his films are terrible.

Except Unbreakable. That's alright.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I liked Sixth Sense and enjoy watching Signs. But The Happening was terrible and The Village is just ok.
Devil was quite decent though.

Ben

CF Legend
Everything he has made since Signs has just been plain bad, and I think I might just like Signs because I was young when I first saw it so there's a nostalgia thing going on.

Ollie, you thinking Devil was quite decent just shows how retarded your film opinions are and why no-one should ever listen to you.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Lain said:
Shayamalan is a hack and all of his films are terrible.

Balls. Unbreakable was utter twoddle. The Sixth Sense had some lovely direction and a great twist that (at the time) was really shocking.

Signs had a few really good, tense moments. Most of it too, was twoddle though.

Speaking of which, I watched Clive Barker's Dread on Saturday night. I expect as a short story it was "interesting". The problem is, it all relied on the punchline. That's fine if you're spending ten minutes reading a short story, the punchline is just that. A short punch at the end of a quick and snappy round or two with the author.

After almost two hours of circling around and around the ring in the film though, it was more of a weak slap.

There were a few moments of great potential in terms of direction and a couple of excellent "gross out" moments. It just never lived up to any promises made (actually, it promised to be long and dull, but it also failed that, just).

As a Barker fan, I know what to expect, but I guess I had higher expectations after Book of Blood (which Taylor and Jordan would both enjoy). Ah well... Back to the pits of disappointment.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Shayamalan - Sixth Sense = AMAZING, Signs (from what I saw of it) = meh, The Village = meh, everything else he has done since then has either been "meh" or I just haven't bothered wasting money to go and see.

I watched Planet of the Apes (1968). It was brilliant! A true classic which has hardly dated at all. It was engaging and the story (although I knew most of it already) was still simplistically brilliant. It has some classic lines in it which are just epic, and attractive-female-who-doesn't-speak was a nice addition.

Amazing.

9/10

I also watched No Country For Old Men which was also brilliant. Simplistic - yet amazing - direction from the Coen brothers, brilliant acting all around, a story which was gripping (even if it is - once again - very simplistic) and I really engaged with the film. It's a modern classic.

9/10

Went to see The Adjustment Bureau. If you've seen it advertised, you'd see that it has been marketed literally as "Inception meets Bourne". It is nothing like that whatsoever. It is simply a love story based around a few people who control tiny parts of his life - I was quite disappointed. Even so, the film itself didn't even do much for me and it tried to be smart, but it really wasn't. From a marketing perspective, it must've been a major success by pulling both men and women in, but as a film - even ignoring the disappointment - it was a tad below par.

6/10

I watched A Clockwork Orange. It was amazing. WAY ahead of it's time, controversial, occasionally hard to watch due to distressing rape scenes but it really did make me go wow. It felt like gritty British gangster films of the modern age which was shocking, it had some dark humour within it and it really is a film that everyone should watch. I'm struggling to put words together - brilliant.

10/10

Will

Strata Poster
Lain said:
Oh, not you as well!?
Unbreakable was made of WHY - the Sixth Sense is the only decent one I've seen, and I gave up on him soon after. You can go and sit in the corner for wrong people :)

Jer

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
I watched A Clockwork Orange. It was amazing. WAY ahead of it's time, controversial, occasionally hard to watch due to distressing rape scenes but it really did make me go wow. It felt like gritty British gangster films of the modern age which was shocking, it had some dark humor within it and it really is a film that everyone should watch. I'm struggling to put words together - brilliant.

10/10

Watched that the other day as well, I could not agree any more.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
The only memorable bit of Signs is "Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something"
but I thoroughly enjoyed The Sixth Sense as I watched it before the spoiler hype hit town =]

Will

Strata Poster
WelcomeToOblivion said:
I thoroughly enjoyed The Sixth Sense as I watched it before the spoiler hype hit town =]
Whereas a PUB QUIZ MACHINE ruined the ending for me about a week before I finally got around to watching it :evil: Still better than his other tripe though :p

Artichoke

Mega Poster
That's why I'm not too keen on todays movies. There has been a few. -And just a few in my opinion- Good movies that have came out in the last few years. I'm more interested in the movies from way back then, specially if it's a horror.

Unbreakable? Just put a bullet in my eye, because that **** was garbage :roll: But hey, if that's what you're into then... God help you LOL.

^ Yah, I agree, most of today's movies are complete crap. The majority seem to just be copycats of other storylines, or thrown together mindlessly for the sake of making some money, rather than before where most of the movies were quality and well thought out.

Ben

CF Legend
^Not really.

Just as many crap movies have always been made, it's just only the good ones are actually remembered.

Like in 20 years most of the crap that gets made now won't actually be remembered, only the good ones will be.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
And out of the movies made in 20 years, more than half will be remakes, and at least 3/4 of those will be the **** movies that nobody saw now, and they will still suck.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ploddish said:
A nice little short film for y'all (12 minutes long).

Going to go see Submarine either tomorrow or Wednesday, too. A trailer for those who want to know:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IVFfiv6wpY[/youtube]
Excellent. It's doing really well critically too. It's got a lovely 100% on Rotten Tomatoes currently :D

OMG! I've been waiting to see this for soooo long <3 Now cinemas in Milton Keynes are showing it though, which is HIGHLY irritating as they're both big chains (Cineworld and Odeon) so I'm going to have to wait a few weeks until they get their arses into gear...

In other news, Source Code is almost upon us <3 <3