What's new

"Now Showing"

robbeal

Hyper Poster
We saw TRON a couple of weeks ago too, and having only seen the originala few months ago for the first time, it was quite good to follow it up with the sequel soon after. It was a stunning film though, thatmay have been boosted by the fact that it was my first 3D film, and it was all new and spesh and stuff.

Plot was alright, nothing special really but it was a story all the same, but the visuals were awesome. That film was what 3D was made for. Not for jumping shiz out at you, but for making stuff look even more awesome, and it did. The other thing that made it for me was the soundtrack. Now normally i'm not a massive fan of Daft Punk, nor do I pay much notice to film scores, but the two together, and with it complementing the visuals so perfectly, it made the film for me. 9/10.

I also got cajoled into watching Creep last night by Lucy. I don't do horror films, because I jump like a bastarrd, and I did myself proud during this! The thing that annoys me about a lot of horror films is I want a bit of a back-story! The film was alright, considering it was a horror film, but I wanted a bit more of a background!

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I saw that Narnia on a Boat in 3D!!!!!! (since it seems we obviously have to include which **** ing format we watch things in in this topic, as if it impresses people that we've got a **** ing Blu Ray player, or that we saw a film a day before anyone else) thing on Friday, which I didn't want to see. 'twas a load of pseudo-Christian rubbish as expected.

Last night I watched The Killer Inside Me on DVD on my laptop. I really liked it. For some reason, Jessica Alba getting her faced smashed in, while horrendously graphic, was somewhat enjoyable.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Was going to watch Inception last night, but the kid & I decided that we would watch the Jets instead. Brilliant move! What a game!
So Inception will wait for another day, but the wife & I watched Winter's Bone after the game. What a great independent film. Creepy, suspenseful, & very authentic. I will be quite surprised if Jennifer Lawrence doesn't get nominated for an Oscar or win a Golden Globe. John Hawkes should have been nominated for a Globe as well & I definitely can see why it won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance.
9/10

Also watched Exit Through the Gift Shop over the weekend. One of the most entertaining documentaries I've seen in years & if you have/had any interest in Banksy it's a must-watch.
9/10

Exit Through the Gift Shop was part of a double feature night for me with the second film being The Girl Who Played with Fire. I had to check it out after enjoying The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so much, but this one was a bit of a let down. Still necessary viewing if you liked the first part of the trilogy. It kind of plotted along a bit with very little action & none of the disturbing scenes from it's predecessor. Hopefully The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest will conclude the saga in a similar fashion as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo started it.
6/10

A-Kid

Giga Poster
16 Blocks. I.e. On the cheap Die Hard.

A: 5.1 but no real use of it. 1
V: Just your standart visuals. 1
N: Fairly simple narrative, but it works. 2
A: Yeah acting was average. 1
U: Standard cop film. nothing unique. 0

5/10. Average.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
...the wife & I watched Winter's Bone after the game. What a great independent film...

My thoughts precisely. I was really impressed by the entire film. I loved how lonely and isolated it all was - Roger Ebert compared it to The Road, and I think that's probably the closest film this can compare to visually and tonally. Seeing it in the cinema was a real treat.

East Coast(er) General said:
...The Girl Who Played with Fire. I had to check it out after enjoying The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so much, but this one was a bit of a let down...

Again, this was pretty much how I felt. I was lucky enough to catch all three of these in the cinema when they came out, and I came out of this one with the pretty overwhelming sensation of "meh". I really felt the length in this one, which really didn't come through in the first.

I've not read the books, so I can't comment on exactly how close to them they are, but this didn't really appear to move the characters on much at all. I mean, it was cool seeing back story and stuff, but it wasn't as exciting as the film thought it was - especially the bad guy.

I liked the last film a lot more - but not as much as the first, so it's not all so bad. It's does a good job of tying up most of the loose ends, and I assume is faithful to the book in leaving room for a sequel (which may or may not happen - I think the series was supposed to be 10 books long).

I'm actually looking forward to how Fincher deals with them, now that I've seen all three. I can definitely see some serious room for improvement, especially with the pacing in the latter two, and a much more interesting script.

Snoo

The Legend
Sunshine

Hadn't watched it all the way before.. but twas an ok movie I guess. Nothing to write home to mom about.

6.5/10

Jer

Strata Poster
Saw The Green Hornet in IMAX 3D last night.

Holy **** the movie was just awesome, on the way there I was told it got just okay ratings so my expectations took a dive, but it was just pure awesome. All the actors even Seth Rogan were awesome, the action was intense, it had a real story, and was pretty damn funny. Also I want the car.

8.5/10

kimahri

CF Legend
A-Kid said:
16 Blocks. I.e. On the cheap Die Hard.

A: 5.1 but no real use of it. 1
V: Just your standart visuals. 1
N: Fairly simple narrative, but it works. 2
A: Yeah acting was average. 1
U: Standard cop film. nothing unique. 0

5/10. Average.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU RATE STUFF D:

In uh, other news to stay on topic for once.

I've been watching Paranoia Agent. Dispite the fact it's a TV show rather than a movie I'm watching it on dvd and not tv so I'm only hindered by my own lazyness of watching it.

Anyway, I'm finding it really enjoyable so far. It's always nice to watch something about people who get depressed and on the verge of suicide get save by some kid on rollerskates coming along and beating the **** out of them with a baseball bat. Lots of fun twists and turns as well as some really random stuff.

The naked fat man isn't nice. He's fat and naked... He also has really big lips and is a perv.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The Dilemma.

I love Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, think they are both hilarious. It was enjoyable, but it was more serious than I thought it would be. Vince Vaughn rambles FTW

8/10

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
Inception.

Overrated much?

End of review.
We had family movie night for the past 3 nights straight & finally got to see Inception. Overrated maybe, but still quite good. The storyline was a bit complicated, but not overly so. I just really enjoyed the concept & special effects so much that I guess I overlooked any flaws.
8/10

The night before we watched Despicable Me. I wasn't expecting to like this one at all, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it was very predictable & started off slow (humor wise), but had some decent laughs as the movie moved along. And you can never go wrong watching any movie with an animated roller coaster ride. :wink:
7/10

We started the trilogy with The Town, which was the best of the bunch. Great writing, acting & lots of action, which is pretty much all I need in a movie. Was great to see Jeremy Renner as the bad guy after watching him be the hero in the Hurt Locker last year.
9/10

One of the best parts of this trilogy was being able to see Pete Postlethwaite in 2 of the 3 films. Such a loss...

Brookes

Giga Poster
I honestly don't think Inception is overrated. Before seeing it I thought, it can't be that good, but after watching it, I think it's brilliant. The story is really clever and complex, and I thought the idea of the whole film was very interesting.

kimahri

CF Legend
I've just finished Watching Guy who did Astro Boy's- Metropolis

I've seen this a bunch of times on sky movies when flicking channels but I've never actually sat down and watched it all the way through, usually giving up after 5 minutes cause it was half way through and ****.

I enjoyed it actually. A nice movie.

The Passion of the Christ

No clue what even made me think to watch this. I'm not religious, I have no knowledge of religion, but anyway, I randomly thought of it the other day and downloaded it.

Anyway, what a movie. It obviously wasn't the greatest movie ever, but it was insane. I was a bit confused just because I don't know anything about religion but just all the torture and everything was just insane and made me cringe.. And usually it takes a lot for me to be bothered by violence in movies. Was very sad, taught me a tiny bit about Jesus, but not something I'd likely watch often, just because it's so disturbing.

7.5/10

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I liked the Passion of the Christ as well. Monica Bellucci <3
You should really check out The Last Temptation of Christ. It depicts the human side of Jesus & his struggle with his role as the son of God & the savior of mankind. Now that's one I can watch over & over again. Amazing, albeit controversial, film.

^ Might do if I can get a hold of it for download or whatever. I'm not really religious and am not really into religious movies but I am glad I saw Passion of the Christ at least the once, and I'm down for watching the one you mentioned too. Even though my knowledge is completely minimal as far as pretty much any religion goes, I'm agnostic so even though I don't believe in a specific thing, I keep my mind open to everything.